Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Ok, so with the final vestiges of today's rain/sleet/snow drifting away from our region, what next?.....A couple of possibilities from me, firstly a weakening trough will pass through our region west to east during the first part of tomorrow, this may well give some wintry weather initially but then the hi-res NMM model modifies it to rain/sleet as it pushes further east, then secondly, the same model likes to develop another Cheshire Gap feature late saturday night into the early hours of sunday, again giving some the potential of some more wintry potential going into the new week, after that then the main models go for a westerly based air pattern as atlantic lows try to spill rain in from the west but with HP to the south and south-west of the country, they will weaken as they do so

Hi iv just got a quick question for you,

Why although the uppers a fairly cold and the air is origonating from the artic, is things so marginal?

If this really was a ''cold snap'' as the bbc weather called it then we wouldnt really have this problem would we?

The showers coming over our area during the small hours and into the morning according the the bbc dont even have a hint of wintryness to them and i find that odd.

Comments please, Thankyou :acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Hi iv just got a quick question for you,

Why although the uppers a fairly cold and the air is origonating from the artic, is things so marginal?

If this really was a ''cold snap'' as the bbc weather called it then we wouldnt really have this problem would we?

The showers coming over our area during the small hours and into the morning according the the bbc dont even have a hint of wintryness to them and i find that odd.

Comments please, Thankyou :acute:

thicknesses i would say, thats why snow is such a novelty! got to have upper air temps right, dew points right, ground level temp right, thicknesses right, wet bulb temps right and more importantly precip with those things in place, if one of those things not there, then sleet at best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

thicknesses i would say, thats why snow is such a novelty! got to have upper air temps right, dew points right, ground level temp right, thicknesses right, wet bulb temps right and more importantly precip with those things in place, if one of those things not there, then sleet at best

Right so whats the thickness for the small hours? I read someone said in i think it was the northwest thred that the dam wass 522 in the morning??

Posted

Right so whats the thickness for the small hours? I read someone said in i think it was the northwest thred that the dam wass 522 in the morning??

not an expert at all, but do need dark blues (real cold) for snow under 150m, 12Z only has the light blues, all about elevation as well, ISAAC has a good elevation so 'light blues' will produce

Posted

not an expert at all, but do need dark blues (real cold) for snow under 150m, 12Z only has the light blues, all about elevation as well, ISAAC has a good elevation so 'light blues' will produce

Right ok thankyou, Still learing but these last few yrs my knowledge has really grown thanks to netweather , im at 189mts asl so that could bode wel then hopefully. Thankyou.

Posted

Right ok thankyou, Still learing but these last few yrs my knowledge has really grown thanks to netweather , im at 189mts asl so that could bode wel then hopefully. Thankyou.

189 metres, sure it will be more than rain then, gfs go for sleet and bbc pure rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

what about ppn coming from northen ireland could be the same has today

Posted

18Z upgraded precip to snow! light mind you, but some lucky areas may well see a temporary early covering

Posted

We had a 10-15 minute spell of heavy snow this afternoon about 3, which briefly settled on the grass and car rooves before melting within 1/2hr of it clearing because the ground hasn't frozen since January. The hills around Church Stretton are white down to about 200m, but the Wrekin only had snow on the top 100 m (ie snowline ~350m). Also driving to Welshpool this afternoon the snowline on the Breidden seemed to be a good 100m lower than on Long Mountain.

Some pavements are icing over, it's clear, a proper frost tonight?

Posted

The nmm will make interesting viewing tonight given it was first on the idea of some snow tomoz. Especially considering gfs has improved things

Posted

The nmm will make interesting viewing tonight given it was first on the idea of some snow tomoz. Especially considering gfs has improved things

So what time does the nmm come out ? And whats the latest nae saying??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

So frends. What's the chance of brum getting a cover? Thx.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Guys, can we try and avoid the text speak please? Some people find it difficult to read and others find it irritating. Thanks :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A case of 'as you were' with the 18z NMM, a trough runs through our region, mainly rain, with snow at elevation tomorrow morning, then cheshire gap streamer setting up saturday night/sunday morning, the timing if which looks better for more widespread snow to affected areas..

Posted

A case of 'as you were' with the 18z NMM, a trough runs through our region, mainly rain, with snow at elevation tomorrow morning, then cheshire gap streamer setting up saturday night/sunday morning, the timing if which looks better for more widespread snow to affected areas..

Perhaps a better chance for the southern Staffordshire/ Warwickshire folk to join in on the fun?

Edited by Rorky_Leicester

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Perhaps a better chance for the southern Staffordshire/ Warwickshire folk to join in on the fun?

Yes possibly, again I think elevation will be a major factor, the higher up you are, the better :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well guys things are incredibly quiet in The Central Southern Thread, thought i'd pop in and say hello. Since i live close to North Oxfordshire which is classed in some cases as the Midlands thought i'd come in here. Hopefully the Cheshire Gap Streamer will give some of you some snow tomoz!

Posted

Fingers crossed were finally get a proper air frost tonight, this month will go down as memorable in that almost every night has been clear yet only once has the temperature actually fell below freezing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like a couple of showers near the Cheshire Gap beginning to form. Tomorrow night into Sunday looking pretty good for a streamer currently. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Just woken up and came downstairs to kip on the sofa for a bit because I have a bad case of man flu and my Girlfriend is ratty that i'm keeping her awake :rofl:

I was soon cheered up when I saw the radar!! Loads of beefy showers filtering in through the Cheshire gap, on course for Leicester as it stands and the temp is -0.2c with a dew of -1.8c!!

The band of showers is currently about 40 miles away now but seem to be moving at about the rate of 5 miles every 10 minutes, i'm hoping they don't fizzle out before they get here, that would be the ULTIMATE kick in the teeth, i'm so close now to seeing my first snow of the Winter. Temp is absolutely perfect, showers aren't far away... PLEASE don't go wrong now!!

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

The streamers and showers filtering down from the north west are looking good for a large portion of the NW and the midlands.