Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Or of course any PPN might be gone by then so maybe it won't make a difference?

I'm still going for a rain-snow-rain event for low levels down here, I just can't see for the life of me how it will be an all snow event and to be honest I be surprised if we see much in the way of accumulations although the ground will be very cold so you never know.

I fancy Teesside to be harder hit than Tyneside but it will be down to radar watching at the end of the day. My experience tells me PPN from a WNW'ly direction tends to fizzle out less because the rain shadow affect is not so pronounced rather than if the PPN came up from the SW. We will have to wait and see but theres no doubt that the milder air is more pronounced in previous runs I'm afraid.

Quite agree Jeffrey :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornaby-on-Tees

Am I even in NE England or Yorkshire so confusing :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I expect some light snow flurries to come into the Tyne and Wear region at around 2-4pm tomorrow, with nothing more than a dusting on the ground. Between 5 and 7pm the snow will probably get heavier with a few centimetres accumulating. It is the period around 9pm that Alza identified that is the problem- during that period the snow could well turn back to sleet/rain making things rather slushy and, subsequently, icy.

I'm hoping for something along similar lines to what Norwich had on the 23rd November 2008- lots of heavy snow on the eastern flank of the band but very little precipitation getting across on the western flank, therefore significant accumulations of snow early on and low risk of it turning slushy/icy later.

Posted

North East England. Also you wouldn't be in Yorkshire, you would be in North Yorkshire.

Thats what I meant

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Yorkshire Michael, Yorkshire :p

Good assessment TWS, it has a lot of potential but I am going for the pessimistic view, as often the case.

It will be nice to see the initial snow accumulate, the first since Dec 16.

Hopefully..! All on a knife edge, up until +0.

Posted

Good assessment TWS, it has a lot of potential but I am going for the pessimistic view, as often the case.

Lol im staying in here regardless :p

Posted

Nice summary there, thanks very much George :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I expect some light snow flurries to come into the Tyne and Wear region at around 2-4pm tomorrow, with nothing more than a dusting on the ground. Between 5 and 7pm the snow will probably get heavier with a few centimetres accumulating. It is the period around 9pm that Alza identified that is the problem- during that period the snow could well turn back to sleet/rain making things rather slushy and, subsequently, icy.

I'm hoping for something along similar lines to what Norwich had on the 23rd November 2008- lots of heavy snow on the eastern flank of the band but very little precipitation getting across on the western flank, therefore significant accumulations of snow early on and low risk of it turning slushy/icy later.

Once that mild finger moves through we should get another brief spell of snow, but it'll be rather annoying if we get a few cm which melts around 9pm due to rain, then one more hour of snow later which can't settle due to the wet surfaces as we'd all know that we could have had 5cm if it hadn't been for the brief mild sector.

If it starts snowing tomorrow evening I'm going to go out an enjoy it as it might not be there after a few hours.

Posted

http://en.wikipedia....hornaby-on-Tees

Am I even in NE England or Yorkshire so confusing blum.gif

To be fair Snowstorm we are in a funny position when its comes to snow, there has been many times in the past when just up the road in Durham, Sunderland, and Newcastle have had a shed load of snow and we have had sleety muck, believe it or not this happens more often than not. Also even further down the road southwards they get snow and we miss out. The last two winters have been an exception, I think TWS has mentioned this about our area in the past, we have to have the right set up to see any decent amount of snow. I am still pretty confidant about seeing a few showers tomorow and lets be honest guys, its good just to have some wintry weather, so whoever gets snow, enjoy mines a fosters :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Nice summary TWS that how i see it panning out, still time for slight changes to the milder air pushing in at late evening time for the worse or better. Have to say looking forward to the event either way should see at least some snow for a time.

Posted

I'm aware my memory should be better considering i'm 18, but i remember we had a frontal situation rather recently, in which we had literally MASSIVE snow flakes after a sleety beginning. That turned out to be an excellent situation for us, and turned out to deliver more snow than we could have from just showers. I really can't remember if this was last year or the year before though -.-

Frontal makes me nervous but could give twice the pay load what we otherwise could be entitled from a standard sunshine and snow showers easterly.

Posted

METO remain bullish regards snow for Durham tomorrow.not only brought it forward 3 hrs they have intensified it for mid afternoon,we shall see i suppose.

Posted

I'm aware my memory should be better considering i'm 18, but i remember we had a frontal situation rather recently, in which we had literally MASSIVE snow flakes after a sleety beginning. That turned out to be an excellent situation for us, and turned out to deliver more snow than we could have from just showers. I really can't remember if this was last year or the year before though -.-

Frontal makes me nervous but could give twice the pay load what we otherwise could be entitled from a standard sunshine and snow showers easterly.

This sounds like Dec 19th 2009, but we only got ~5cm of fresh snow, whereas a good NE'ly usually gives ~10cm from showers, and a prolonged one like last year can obviously give several times that amount!

Posted

Temp stalled here at -0.1c since 6:24pm does anyone know why?

Posted

METO remain bullish regards snow for Durham tomorrow.not only brought it forward 3 hrs they have intensified it for mid afternoon,we shall see i suppose.

I've just seen the look north's forecast for tomorow and I've got to say ''I'm wondering why eveyones so confused, it seemed pretty straight forward to me, from newcastle all the way down to the east coast 5-10cms, bring it on, they seemed pretty confidant to me and they are the pro's ( or ment to be ha ha )

Posted

This sounds like Dec 19th 2009, but we only got ~5cm of fresh snow, whereas a good NE'ly usually gives ~10cm from showers, and a prolonged one like last year can obviously give several times that amount!

Yeah that could have been it like, its a different beast is frontal though, far more prolonged than showers. I prefer showers but frontal gives us a hint of what they get on the North American continent where they often have hours of falling snow.

NE'ly is by far my favourite weather pattern though, we so need one of these before the winter is out!

Posted

Yeah that could have been it like, its a different beast is frontal though, far more prolonged than showers. I prefer showers but frontal gives us a hint of what they get on the North American continent where they often have hours of falling snow.

NE'ly is by far my favourite weather pattern though, we so need one of these before the winter is out!

When the eastern US gets big snow storms they often have marginality too, meaning the pavements are covered in many inches of slush. I know someone who loved snow when they moved from Newcastle to New Hampshire, but they soon got fed up and moved to Florida. Now they're sick of the heat and are hoping to return to Europe!

Posted

Just to add, temperatures are certainly looking conducive to wet rather than white :good:

Nice summary there, thanks very much George :good:

I think you could be the one in the middle with the "wet rather than white" assessment. ;)

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

Temp stalled here at -0.1c since 6:24pm does anyone know why?

I think this indicative of the temperature neither rising nor falling.

Posted

When the eastern US gets big snow storms they often have marginality too, meaning the pavements are covered in many inches of slush. I know someone who loved snow when they moved from Newcastle to New Hampshire, but they soon got fed up and moved to Florida. Now they're sick of the heat and are hoping to return to Europe!

Hahahah theres a perfect balance of perfect summer and perfect winter somewhere on the planet :winky:

I'm beginning to think its my home land of Senigallia in Italy, where they've had +30C Summer and now are having an awesome Ne'ly! I've noticed they've started having more severe winters since 08/09 as we have.

Posted

I think you could be the one in the middle with the "wet rather than white" assessment. ;)

:db: