Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

nowt to do with the football on offer then?

forgot to mention Oon,i will pm ya an important query,regards Appleby fair.

Edited by peterf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Good luck for today guys. I'm sure you'll all see something... but not OON. Everyone except OON will see some snow. :D

Good luck from the NW. :)

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Good luck for today guys. I'm sure you'll all see something... but not OON. Everyone except OON will see some snow. :D

Good luck from the NW. :)

Cheers BT right back at ya!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

-0.8c here and rising quickly hope this stops soon...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Morning all! NAE looking good this morning, GFS isn't, so no change from Thursday for this event. Still as uncertain as ever.

Sounds like a wintry mix is starting to fall in S Scotland - our conditions are more favourable, but at least we can be confident that it won't be plain rain!

Edited by alza

Posted

Should this rapid rise in temps for me worry me? Its currently -0.1c now going up really quickly

Posted

Should this rapid rise in temps for me worry me? Its currently -0.1c now going up really quickly

Dew points are more important. Temps should drop with any substantial ppn anyway.

Posted

sky news weather report is looking very tasty for all the north east, could see some decent totals if there correct. The BBC look north had a very simalar report also, I reckon its game on today.

Posted

Dew points are more important. Temps should drop with any substantial ppn anyway.

Thats fine then -6.4c :p

Posted

sky news weather report is looking very tasty for all the north east, could see some decent totals if there correct. The BBC look north had a very simalar report also, I reckon its game on today.

NAE definitely matches that. NOrmally I'm greedy adn want more than anywhere else (especially the SE)... but today I'd be happy to get less than them as long as we see 3 or 4 inches. :)

Posted

I'd be happy with 1-2 inches as long as it is still in tact tomorrow morning!

Posted

I'd be happy with 1-2 inches as long as it is still in tact tomorrow morning!

They said it would be a very chilly night after the snow has passed through, so I reckon it will still be intact alza

Posted

The NAE is a definite upgrade this morning for precipitation totals - 7-10mm in the NE now, which would equate to a few inches if it fell as snow.

Posted

The NAE is a definite upgrade this morning for precipitation totals - 7-10mm in the NE now, which would equate to a few inches if it fell as snow.

It won't happen though, I can see it moving through northern England relatively quickly with only a brief period of heavier snow - a couple of inches maybe - less than that for many.

At least we'll see the snow arrive through daylight hours - It will be 'pretty'

Posted

Many people reporting rain in the NW despite temperatures close to freezing and sub zero dewpoints.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by P-M, February 4, 2012 - What's The Point In Arguing!
Hidden by P-M, February 4, 2012 - What's The Point In Arguing!

It won't happen though, I can see it moving through northern England relatively quickly with only a brief period of heavier snow - a couple of inches maybe - less than that for many.

You can say for certain can you? The front is projected to slow and stall at some point - not saying over our region but still no one can say for definite it looks to me like it's back building...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

You can't say it *wont* happen. You can say you think it won't/

Posted

With reference to the freezing rain and rain/sleet in the NW this is (and only a suggestion to my limited knowledge) perhaps due to the fact that the warm front is mixing in... This will become less of an issue as the fronts move ESE...Alza please do not be the prophet of doom today because I am hungover and very delicate and just might have a breakdown!

Posted

With reference to the freezing rain and rain/sleet in the NW this is (and only a suggestion to my limited knowledge) perhaps due to the fact that the warm front is mixing in... This will become less of an issue as the fronts move ESE...Alza please do not be the prophet of doom today because I am hungover and very delicate and just might have a breakdown!

On the other hand some heavy snow is being reported in Central Scotland, which was forecast to have a lower chance of snow than us :D

Also, it's snowing in Keswick now.

Posted

Milky skies here, reports of freezing rain in the far west of the county ahead of the advancing warm front. I'm peety confident as soon as the front hits the central fells evaporative cooling will kick into gear maintaining low dewpoints and therefore we should see snow from the outset. Difficult to know when it ill hit probably within the next hour starting off light but quickly becoming heavy by lunchtime. We could see a decent few hours of snow before the front clears through and we see it turning to a sleety wet mix later this evening dying out by 8pm - but I'm hopeful it will be light when it turns to sleet preventing any significant melt. Tonight everything will ice up.

As for the rest of the region, probably mid afternoon when the NE sees the front arrive. Pennine areas could see some hefty falls. Its a day for nowcasting and radar and lamp post watching. Just wish the cold block could have dug in that bit deeper then our region would have seen the front stalling in situ and conditions less marginal. Alas east midlands, east anglia and se look like seeing the front stalling over them. Our time will come later this month..

Posted

On the other hand some heavy snow is being reported in Central Scotland, which was forecast to have a lower chance of snow than us :D

Also, it's snowing in Keswick now.

Thanks Alza that has made my day. Mind you I am very nervous with the reports coming out of the NW... I will die of the front gets here and it's rain...in fact I will learn Russian and emigrate ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Mate in Liverpool tells me temps are -2C and its raining heavily and like a skating rink