Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread Part 2

pottyprof

Posted

I'd say about 70/80% of the snow cover has melted so far.

All due to our area not been in the fog/cloud which has allowed temperatures to rise to 5.c today, in comparison eastern parts have barely risen above freezing. Similar situation yesterday, it was sunny all day but by nightfall cloudy while the east had clear skies.

I'm not too fussed though, it would of been nice to hold on to snow cover. My garden has 100% cover due to the number of trees.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I'd say there is still 50%> snow cover here - some gardens, including my own, which are sheltered from the sun all day, still have 100% snow cover.

Posted

It looks like the freezing fog has set in again for the night now.Very pleased with the amount of snow cover left around here.

Posted

Showers in the North Sea heading inland and turning to snow. Maybe someone will get a surprise tonight!

http://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/premium.pl?action=hiradar;sess=ecb84e9c0bd93007dc1e36a4f62b8bcc

Posted

Conditions look pretty marginal for snow from those showers, but they are associated with 850hPa temperatures of -6C or -7C so theres a possibility with a bit of altitude. Probably most likely is a wintry mix on low ground.

Posted

It seems I was a bit hasty with the 70/80% melted observation.

I'd say around 50% has melted but its a mixed bag with one street having patches of snow everywhere while others thick with it on every surface. Similar with the countryside, the steep slopes facing the sun have zero snow cover while the ones that are flat are full of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Still 100% cover here. My 14cm has now become 11cm. Looking at this weeks temps it will be going knowhere soon. A top up would be nice. Currently -4.2c

Posted

It seems I was a bit hasty with the 70/80% melted observation.

I'd say around 50% has melted but its a mixed bag with one street having patches of snow everywhere while others thick with it on every surface. Similar with the countryside, the steep slopes facing the sun have zero snow cover while the ones that are flat are full of snow.

Yeah similar here. The fields where a lot of people have walked have less snow cover now but fields with little to no footprints are still totally white

Posted

Morning all,

Another freezing morning here. We've still got plenty of laying snow here after a slight thaw yesterday. Freezing fog again now, covering everything in hoar frost.

Temp currently -4.7C. (Should be +1C according to forecasts!!).

This freezing fog has really helped keep our snow cover. I travelled over the North York Moors to Whitby yesterday and was amazed there is hardly any snow cover there.

Looks like a very cold couple of nights coming up too. Possibly some -10's to be recorded?

Posted

Yes, widespread -10's according to BBC - still plenty of snow around. I traveled across the M62 yesterday over the Pennines where there's only a dusting.. this set up is very odd

Posted

still snow cover around in doncaster. About 60% left but grass areas have a full cover still! fields kept well. Now its ICE OF DEATH out on the roads.

Looks like its getting colder from today!

Posted

Morning all.

Another cold night in East Yorkshire, freezing fog patches with reduced visibility one second, clear the next, was amazing how they was such a difference between the 2 conditions with regards to how the temperatures reacted.

Snow cover is around the 60% mark, with most surfaces still got a good covering, but it's gone hard and slushy in places.

Just had a quick look at the latest GFS, high pressure continues to dominate throughout much of this week, later into the weekend the GFS gets a little bit messy, either the Atlantic breaks through, or as it makes another attempt, the high pressure squashes it again, with the chance of a weather system coming from the NE bringing us a cold, North/North Easterly flow, just as this starts to show on the charts, it skips into the lowest resolution, so there's a lot of time frames and model watching to get through until we are any clearer as to what happens after such a HP dominated period. And there's not a lot of agreement at the moment as each subsequent run throws up a different scenario/pattern.

The theme throughout this week will be high pressure in charge, with cold temperatures during the day, max temperatures of 4-5c for some areas, although barely getting above freezing for many areas that have the freezing fog lingering.

By night time temperatures will drop rapidly across many areas, with low minimums down to around -8 possibly lower in rural areas.

A slight chance of some wintry precipitation/ light snow on Thursday, as a front pushes from the west from an Atlantic system, decaying all the time as it fights the block of high pressure, so not an event that will give widespread additional snow accumulations, just something to keep an eye on.

Areas with the freezing fog, and lower temperatures will hold on to much of their snow cover throughout the remainder of this week.

If I see any changes/upgrades in the models, i'll post :)

Regards,

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Another cloudy day with only a very slow thaw taking place.Im looking forward to some very cold nights this week,starting from tonight.

post-6955-0-06590500-1328618737_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-03997100-1328618771_thumb.jp

Posted

Slow thaw taking place, i see some impressive low dewpoints kicking in from east anglia southwards as the cold, dry continental air feeds in, fog lifted and finally the sun is making a brief appearance. currently 1.7*C.

Edited by Cal

Posted

No sign of a thaw just yet here (7 miles north of York centre). was -4 @ 11am, with a low of -7 this morning.

Photo: Moorlands Wood @ 12pm Tuesday 07 Feb 2012.

404512_10150640187156049_713036048_11199581_1065862087_n.jpg

Posted

Cold air is arriving.. big temperature drop just now, bring on the clear skies and harsh frost

Posted

No sign of a thaw just yet here (7 miles north of York centre). was -4 @ 11am, with a low of -7 this morning.

Photo: Moorlands Wood @ 12pm Tuesday 07 Feb 2012.

404512_10150640187156049_713036048_11199581_1065862087_n.jpg

Hi Dude,

See your in my neck of the woods. Recorded a staggering low of -10.6 last night in Strensall (yes this is confirmed from two recordings from separate weather sensors in my garden).

Snow cover almost complete with little to no thaw .... yet in Harrogate (400-500 feet above sea level) its been between 3-5 degrees yesterday and today (though clouding over now) with very little extensive cover left.

Quite amazing !!

Y.S

Posted

Hi Dude,

See your in my neck of the woods. Recorded a staggering low of -10.6 last night in Strensall (yes this is confirmed from two recordings from separate weather sensors in my garden).

Snow cover almost complete with little to no thaw .... yet in Harrogate (400-500 feet above sea level) its been between 3-5 degrees yesterday and today (though clouding over now) with very little extensive cover left.

Quite amazing !!

Y.S

It's amazing, in that small area, church fenton to york, they have had hardly any snow melt and temperatures a good 4/5C colder than anyone else. Must be the difference a good snowpack can have on the surface temperature.

I still wonder If I'd have had 6 inches of snow like church fenton rather than the 3" I got, would temperatures have remained below zero with no snow melt?

Not sure as that area that has seen the coldest temperatures does happen to be a little frost haven in it's own right. Between Toppcliffe and Church Fenton.

Posted

I think it's because of all the freezing fog and cloud they have had during the day keeping temperatures down - I had around 6 inches of snow too.

Hardly if any snow melt today since the sun has been absent

Edited by Aaron

Posted

I think it's because of all the freezing fog and cloud they have had during the day keeping temperatures down - I had around 6 inches of snow too.

Hardly if any snow melt today since the sun has been absent

How much snow have you left?

Posted

It's amazing, in that small area, church fenton to york, they have had hardly any snow melt and temperatures a good 4/5C colder than anyone else. Must be the difference a good snowpack can have on the surface temperature.

I still wonder If I'd have had 6 inches of snow like church fenton rather than the 3" I got, would temperatures have remained below zero with no snow melt?

Not sure as that area that has seen the coldest temperatures does happen to be a little frost haven in it's own right. Between Toppcliffe and Church Fenton.

Cold air trapped at surface in the Vale of York. Snow cover will help but don’t think depth will make much difference. Typical under high pressure. Not seen anything over 1C since the snow arrived.

"The vale is in the rain shadow of the Pennines so has a lower rainfall total than areas to the west. It is also subject to more fog and frosts in winter than other areas because of the tendency of cold air to drain into the vale from surrounding higher ground."

Edited by WS Evolution

Posted

As expected the temp is dropping like a stone under clear skies.Hopefully the clouds will stay away for much of the night.

Posted

Still cloudy here, hoping for a clear up soon though.. the remaining snow should help temperatures plummet.

Also:

http://forum.netweather.tv/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=130721

Posted

Now snow melt at all on the fields etc ...quite amazing really! Due to get to -9 tonight but actually warmer here than previous 3 nights at this time. Anyone got any thoughts re Thursday afternoon / evenings snow event? Couple of cm's ?