Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 13

kold weather

Guest QuantumSnow

Properly wonderful isn't it, the sort of snow day you imagine but rarely see. It's so still too; the landscape is holding its breath as though its given us a present and is watching us unwrap it, hoping we love it.

What a nice analogy AS, yes it is very beautiful out there this morning. Was watching a pheasant in my garden a while ago, his coat in the sun and the snow was just glorious.

Enjoy :)

Edited by QuantumSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Does anyone have any ideas about Sunday

Carol kirkwood said ther is a small feature crossing our region and could possibly be Sleet/snow or freezing rain

She said something to keep an eye on

Not sure but the local radio station said Rain on sunday :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Snow still on roofs and looks like a hard frost, btw guys from surrey i'm going snow hunting today and plan to go to the Guildford area, would that be a good location for decent snowcover?

Posted

Just over an inch fell here last night and what is great is the kids are at school so I can make the most of the virgin snow! Whoooohoooo

Posted

Does anyone have any ideas about Sunday

I was going with a late start, maybe a stroll on the Downs then couple of pints of 'Harvey's Old', roast beef, Yorkshires, roast potatoes and seasonal veg? :unknw:

Just over an inch fell here last night and what is great is the kids are at school so I can make the most of the virgin snow! Whoooohoooo

You were lucky getting that extra inch last night then Loubs......

Posted

just about an inch here... but looks like somebody has gone out with a snow blowing maching and just pasted everything.. slowly melting tho so prob all gone by dusk, but was a nice surprise to what was forcasted

Posted

Snow brings more travel disruption across England and Wales

Drivers warned of treacherous conditions as icy temperatures continue after overnight snowfall

Widespread disruption is expected on transport routes across England and Wales after significant overnight snowfall and sub-zero temperatures that show little sign of relenting. Motorists are being warned of treacherous road conditions after more than 6cm (2in) of snow blanketed some regions and temperatures fell to -4C. The freezing conditions are expected to continue in the coming days with temperatures falling to as low as -9C, bringing an end to a week of Arctic weather.

On Thursday night snow began falling in the north and the Midlands before gradually hitting the home counties, East Anglia, London, the south-east, the south-west and Wales. Victoria Kettley, a forecaster at MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: "The snow began around 6pm before intensifying. The heaviest falls were seen over a band covering South Yorkshire and Leicestershire with accumulations of between 5cm and 6cm. "As the evening progressed the heaviest snow spread southwards before fizzling out towards Wales and the south-west." She added: "The overnight weather means there will be treacherous conditions on the roads this morning as the snow melts and poses the threat of widespread ice on untreated roads."

The Met Office has issued a "yellow" severe weather warning instructing people to be aware of snow and ice in nearly all parts of England as well as south Wales. A level-three cold weather alert is also in place. Kettley said snow could return to the south-west and Wales on Friday with the rest of the UK remaining dry but bitterly cold. "There could be temperatures of between -7C and -9C tonight and over the weekend it will be bitterly cold," she said. "Air temperatures might not get above freezing across the Midlands and East Anglia throughout Saturday, increasing the danger of ice."

Surrey police advised people to take care with up to 5cm of snow expected to have fallen by Friday morning's rush hour. A force spokesman said: "We are reminding residents and motorists to stay safe and take sensible precautions following further adverse weather conditions in the county. The freezing conditions could lead to some potential disruption on the road network, particularly during the morning rush hour. "Residents are also reminded to check on elderly or vulnerable neighbours, friend or relatives."

Those travelling to Heathrow have been advised to check their flight's status before setting off and allow extra time for their journey after it was hit by snow overnight. However, officials said no disruption was expected. A Heathrow spokesman said: "A light fall of snow overnight was cleared by Heathrow's snow team with no disruption to the airport. "All flights scheduled for Thursday evening got away yesterday. A normal schedule is planned for Friday with no anticipated disruption. After clearing the snow overnight, airside teams took the opportunity to carry out two practice drills. "Heathrow continues to monitor the weather and will respond if more adverse conditions are expected."

Gatwick, London Luton, Birmingham International and Stansted said they were open and operating as normal and were not expecting disruption despite the wintry weather. On Thursday treacherous conditions caused by freezing rain led to more than 100 road incidents in Cumbria alone. The A66 was one of the worse hit routes, with cars colliding and skidding off the carriageway. A spokesman for Cumbria county council warned that road conditions were expected to remain hazardous, describing Thursday's freezing rain falling on the ground as a perfect storm.

Meanwhile, the classic car enthusiast Tim Waddingham, 53, is thought to have drowned trying to rescue his dog from a freezing pond at a golf club in Surrey at the weekend. North West Ambulance Service said its control centres had answered more than 700 emergency calls on Thursday and responded to 187 incidents where patients had fallen. A spokesman for the Association of Train Operating Companies said train companies were gearing up to deal with the bad weather, with Network Rail running empty "ghost" trains and de-icer units to keep tracks and overhead cables free of snow and ice as far as possible. He added: "The whole industry will be working hard to get people from a to b as quickly and reliably as possible."

http://www.guardian....n-england-wales

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Brightinbrighton-

Farnham better than gtown

Oh, problem is Farnham is quite difficult to get to by train, may go to Dorking then head up north downs way as they should be enough up there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Woke up to beautiful winter scene outside today, clear blue skies, fluffly snow stuck to everything. A fresh inch of snow on the grass and trees, making the garden look tidy again, but the roads clear for those unfortunate enough to have to go to work rather than admiring the view (I have the day off). Something for everyone.

It's clouded over here now and the delicately perched snow is falling off the trees under the slightest movement. It doesn't look like there is another snow event due for now, so we will probably all slowly melt away from this forum, much like the snow...

Posted

Properly wonderful isn't it, the sort of snow day you imagine but rarely see. It's so still too; the landscape is holding its breath as though its given us a present and is watching us unwrap it, hoping we love it.

That is a lovely analogy! :) Priory Park is stunning this morning... I would urge everyone who lives locally and has a sledge to get there! The new snow has fallen onto the ice / snow of the slopes and it's wonderfully quick! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Very beautiful out there,snow all on the trees,etc,got to go and find my ponds again now,and give them a sweep and bash some ice so my fish dont die ;)

Posted

Interesting the Fax charts from the Met Office are different from the GFS, Met Office are showing a direct Northerly for Next week and the GFS are showing a toppling High with a more N.W and Rain for the East, Met O are saying showers turning wintery.

Posted

5cms at my parents house in Dollis Hill, north-west London - 2cm more than where I live in Ealing. Seems north-west London really hit the jackpot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Another month of winter before the higher sun makes it less likely for snow to stick around.

I love how on the model thread a couple of days ago the models were showing a Northerly followed by NE and the Easterly and it was all very exciting yet 2 days later it's showing milder weather and suddenly winter is over.

Surely if it can change from cold to mild in 2 days it can change back again in another 2 days?

Posted

Another month of winter before the higher sun makes it less likely for snow to stick around.

I love how on the model thread a couple of days ago the models were showing a Northerly followed by NE and the Easterly and it was all very exciting yet 2 days later it's showing milder weather and suddenly winter is over.

Surely if it can change from cold to mild in 2 days it can change back again in another 2 days?

It's bizarre isn't it. At the end of the day, how many in the model thread predicted last night's snow? Not many. It isn't helped by a few members who, not liking cold weather, seem to revel in raining on everyone else's parade. No pun intended.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Just a trace in Hatfield Peverel.

I think we'll be done with the really cold stuff, in this spell, by Sunday morning and then while I wouldn't rule out significant snow for the rest of the winter, I think the chances of a further prolonged freeze are going now.

Just my opinion though.

Posted

Just a trace in Hatfield Peverel.

I think we'll be done with the really cold stuff, in this spell, by Sunday morning and then while I wouldn't rule out significant snow for the rest of the winter, I think the chances of a further prolonged freeze are going now.

Just my opinion though.

Would agree, the time for deep, deep cold is in mid-January IMO. That isn't to say you can't get very significant snow in Feb, as we often have, but it will just be without the freezing temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Beautiful out there. Every twig and branch is covered in snow. Did quite well last night, got a couple of cm's.

I definitely think NW London, SE Bucks & S Herts hit the jackpot last night.

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

You know what, it's actually pretty warm here. The sun is very hot through the window and I've just been outside in a vest top and it was quite acceptable.

Posted

Is it too early to mark this cold spell out of 10? Here's my sum-up.

Longevity: Well over a week, so 8/10

Depth of cold: some absolutely bitter nights, but generally not particularly severe, 6/10

Snow: Two decent falls, one of 11cms, one of 3cms, plus a couple of days of snow grains, so 7/10

Overall, I'd give this spell a 7/10 for my part of London. Much better than I was expecting this time last month. It's just about saved the winter for me. Interested to see how everyone else rates it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Is it too early to mark this cold spell out of 10? Here's my sum-up.

Longevity: Well over a week, so 8/10

Depth of cold: some absolutely bitter nights, but generally not particularly severe, 6/10

Snow: Two decent falls, one of 11cms, one of 3cms, plus a couple of days of snow grains, so 7/10

Overall, I'd give this spell a 7/10 for my part of London. Much better than I was expecting this time last month. It's just about saved the winter for me. Interested to see how everyone else rates it...

Agree 7 days of lying snow and 2 weeks of temps around freezing , cant complain , especially considering wot was on offer Dec,Jan.!!!..Been sledging had a snow ball fight ∧ made a snow man .......Job done .....