IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 13

kold weather

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'd give depth of cold more than 6/10 for where I live. I'd guess the temperature hasn't risen above 1C for more than a week now and the only thing that has stopped the temperatures at night going into freefall has been the amount and timing of cloud, so a 7 or 8 for me; otherwise agreed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Is it too early to mark this cold spell out of 10? Here's my sum-up.

Longevity: Well over a week, so 8/10

Depth of cold: some absolutely bitter nights, but generally not particularly severe, 6/10

Snow: Two decent falls, one of 11cms, one of 3cms, plus a couple of days of snow grains, so 7/10

Overall, I'd give this spell a 7/10 for my part of London. Much better than I was expecting this time last month. It's just about saved the winter for me. Interested to see how everyone else rates it...

Yep, overall not a bad cold spell though could have been better had there been more snow events, but almost a week of lying snow can't be complained about. All eyes to next week, hopefully we'll see something a little more substantial..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Well the kids will be very dissapointed once they come out of school as all the snow here has vanished .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Looking at the warning again for snow, more west of our region but any chance will be a repeat of last night?

Ermmm......that is a warning for Ice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Well a reminder today of how much this country annoys me, just wanted to get a train to check to the snow in N.Sussex/Surrey but no.. all cancalled. :doh::wallbash:

Posted

In priory park on the recomedation of great plum. Had no snow where I live so went to find some it is very very pretty here and the light breeze is causing snow to fall from the trees little fluffy flakes in the sun it is wonderful

I could have come over in my lunch break... :) glad you liked it!

Posted

Well snow here is melting at a decent rate, for the first time depsite the cold the sun felt like it had abit more energy if that makes sense.

Snow is still deep up Langdon Hills, probably 4 inches still on the ground and well compacted, in drifts probably 7-9 inches. Just shows what some height can do!

Posted

Snowman still going strong after Day 6! Still about 2cm on the grass and this despite zero snow yesterday.

Would not have thought the snowcover will last to early next week though.

Posted

Kaddy on se today said watch out Kent next Tuesday heavy snow showers! Wows a she's sticking her neck out!

Yes, she often does.......

PDVD_002.JPG

:wub:

Posted

Already dipped below freezing, despite bright sunshine. We peaked at 0.4c today. I think we will see snow lying for a few days yet - 10 days and counting.

P.S. I love Kaddy too :air_kiss:

Posted

Took one look at the cars covered in deep snow and the icey road outside in Surbiton at 6.30 this morning and decided I didn't fancy the drive up to Hillingdon for the school run, so gave my son a pre-half term 'snow day'. After Sunday's disappointment at the predominance of slush on Telegraph Hill in Hinchley Wood, we gave it another shot today. Through the woods it stayed lovely and snowy on the trees and in the undergrowth, but the paths and hillside were already turning muddy so we got in a couple of sledging attempts fast. Blue sky now and snow melting in the garden. Is it all eyes towards spring now, or will the northerly in FI give us all something else to look forward to?

PS tried to upload pics, but uploader having none of it:(

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Already dipped below freezing, despite bright sunshine. We peaked at 0.4c today. I think we will see snow lying for a few days yet - 10 days and counting.

Temperatures have been 2-3 degrees lower in Kent than in London area during this cold spell, I noticed when I went to a village near Ashford for a few days during the week that the snow that fell last Saturday had melted little by yesterday afternoon (in the shade), yet in south London it had pretty much all disappeared when I went back there in the afternoon. And today the snow that fell last night in London is vanishing fast.

The thick snow cover in less urban parts of Kent and probably in other counties of the SE has helped keep max day temperatures close to or below freezing since the snow fell last weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Yes, she often does.......

PDVD_002.JPG

:wub:

She looks so scruffy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Posted

I actually tried approaching her about coming on here for comments and contributions. The subsequent restraining order still runs for some years....... :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

My garden looks like its been spayed with foam ,really weird