Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - May 2012

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Nasty storm near Luton, Tornado risk?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

The large storm off Clacton, heading towards Chelmsford is really getting its act together now! Large rainfall totals tomorrow by the looks of things, and I know Chelmsford is at a real risk of flooding in parts at the moment.

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

OMG!! Look at essex :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Oh now there she goes just saw a flash....

Did I dream that or something??? Not a single lightning detector has anything around here....Euclid, NW, MetO....!?!?!?!? Is this some weird War of the Worlds stuff going down?????

Posted

Paul, I think we've been a bit lucky here, all the cells just blew up on our doorstep, had a great view of a cell just passing to my south with probably lightning every 5-10 seconds. Wasn't really expecting it so it was a nice treat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Edit: Although Sheppey was strangely out of the Lightning Zone - Feel for you James!

Tell me about it!! :(

Not a single lightning detector has anything around here....Euclid, NW, MetO....!?!?!?!? Is this some weird War of the Worlds stuff going down?????

Isle of Sheppey Sailing Club's one has a few, but it seems quite inaccurate... http://www.iossc.org.uk/weather/index.php?n=7

Posted

These thunderstorms were NOT forecast by the met, they just said thundery rain! and it looked worse away from kent and essex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Can see the times of the bigger lightning flashes on the noise margin line of my netmeter,if that 2-3am storm hits my broadband`ll go bye bye!

capturelaf.jpg

Posted

Would never have expected a fellow Rustington resident on here!!!!!! We can only hope as it seems plenty is kicking off around us. I believe I finally hear rain!!!!!!!! Wahoo!!!!!!

Me neither the closest posters I've seen on here before have been bog or and Worthington residents. It for quite heavy there but judging by the radar won't long long, here's to the rest of the night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Whilst I'm a keen admirer of storm enthusiasts (being one myself), some of the posts in the thread have bordering on the ludicrous....By all means, post your storm reports (not forgetting to post your storm reports also in the 'storm reports' thread) but please, please moderate your use of the over-top posts full of capital letters, screams, YAHHHOOOOOS of every flash of lightning etc etc, it makes the thread hard work to read and there are lots of sensible posts and requests for forecast updates that are getting utterly drowned out........

In answer to the posts requesting updates in the forecast for the midlands etc I would hazard a guess that there are reasonable chances of these storm clusters surviving for some considerable time and may well affect those regions later on, as storms are elevated in nature and are feeding off WAA thus do not rely on surface heating or even so much on low level moisture..As long as the mid-level air retains this WAA then it will continue to destabilize...Worth noting though that as the LP centre over Biscay drifts further west, storms may develop a more pronounced westerly component...Still, exciting times for many folks tonight in central & southern areas through the night! smile.png

Posted

These thunderstorms were NOT forecast by the met, they just said thundery rain! and it looked worse away from kent and essex

Phil Avery on BBC 24 managed to omit the work 'thunder' all together!

Posted

Just a very quick very low quality mobile shot out of my side window, Aylesbury Bucks. I knew I should have charged the camera lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Looks like the forum is back! Took a drive 20 minutes south into Ipswich, amazing rains, and 6 very big blue flashes. Sheltered in a trolley shelter at Copdock Tescos! haha. Really good viewing point actually! Drove back home, dry patches still on the road.

Some strange goings on with the radar, flipping between Europe and UK looks very different in intensity over Belgium/France. Looks pretty wet for rush hour I think!

Posted

Looks like the forum is back!

Happens all to often :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

a line of heavy rain setting up across cen southern eng /and now moving west and intensifying ,most of the night here as been just bits ,hope this as got mendip written on it ,it could give 2 hrs of v hvy rain ,cheers

Posted

Had an amazing storm here in Oxford just after midnight! LOTS of lightning and thunder, including some direct overhead strikes. What confused me very much, though, was that as soon as the storm started to die away I switched on my computer and checked the lightning detectors (Netweather and blids.de), expecting to see something impressive, but instead saw absolutely NOTHING over Oxford! The nearest strikes were shown as being in the London/Luton area! How's that possible, when I counted about 30-40 lightning strikes and some of the thunder was right overhead?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had nothing but rain here last night, guess I will have to wait until the next threat for something.. Hope you guys enjoyed your storms last night :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

wasn't that typical, one exciting night and no forum rofl.gif Oh well, hope it was enjoyable, just light rain here fool.gif

Posted

That's exactly what last night was - thundery rain...

Classic moisture plume breaking down into a mass of rain/thunderstorms.

Edited by staplehurst

Posted

For the 1st time since I moved to Warminster there was virtually overhead lightning at night! Although I now know for sure how

poor it is living in a low lying place after being spoilt for viewing choices at my previous address in Westbury!

When others near here (Chapmanslade) were reporting seeing lightning to the South around 21.00-22.00 I saw nothing while

looking that way as this location is in a kind of 'bowl'.

I was then woken by thunder at 01.15 and when there was a flash a few minutes later decided it was worth getting up! And on looking

towards the South there were some very bright IC and CC flashes from 2 distinct cells, the nearest flashing every few minutes and ended

up giving a few virtually overhead flashes with loud thunder, the other probably 5 miles away and flashing at a similar intensity.

The furthest cell kept going until it went out of the poor viewing range while the nearest gave a downpur of rain but died out electrically.

I expect had I still been at the old house I'd have seen further lightning around 02.00-03.00 as cells moved through more central parts of

Wiltshire but nothing further happened here.

Delighted, but we need to move to a better viewing location lol !

Posted

Hey really glad loads of you got the thunder and lightning last night - even though I missed out completely on anything other than rain!!!!!