Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted

After a brightish start the storms clouds have rolled into Leeds some heavy down burts of Showers.

Posted

Cool but dry and breezy here, some sunny spells but they seem to be getting pushed away now.

It is ridiculously waterlogged after yesterdays 14mm+

Worse than anytime last winter really, even drier fields have surface and running water.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Sunshine and showers here in Sandhutton today, and considerably warmer than the last couple of days (although that isn't saying much). Yesterday got to 14.2C whereas today is already up at 17C.

Unfortunately it's also the kind of day when I find myself at odds with the consensus view. As a fan of convective type weather I particularly appreciate days like today after a succession of overcast and damp waterlogged days, but forecasts tend to dismiss it alongside the recent weather as "dire and unsettled with rain or showers".

In the meantime I note that my old homeland of Tyne and Wear is still stuck with overcast damp weather!

Posted

Long sunny intervals here, and feels pleasantly warm in the sunshine. Annoyingly however there is quite a strong breeze, all makes a change from rain though!

Posted

It's warm in the sunshine, a much better day than I expected. The ground and my chickens need to dry out, a couple of days like this would be great.

Posted

Got a friend on holiday near Bamburgh since last Friday reporting an absolutely dreadful holiday as he has seen leaden skies and rain almost non stop since then....wallbash.gif

'Topped off today by absolute bucketing down and drenching' so heading back to 'sunny' Yorkshire as we speak... rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A few rumbles of thunder from the latest shower here in Sandhutton- the main thunder potential appears to be further south today (East Anglia, Lincolnshire- in other words the usual areas!) but might get a few more rumbles during the rest of today. Some pretty intense rain recently too.

Recent edit (3:15pm)- the showers appear to have merged into an area of largely continuous rain. I suppose it's in keeping with the spirit of the summer lol!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Couldn't believe it first thing this morning seeing some weak sunshine with cloud starting to break up.

Soon clouded up again though,and from about 11am onwards the rain started yet again with plenty of

heavy stuff amongst it.

The ground is utterly saturated now and i don't think this belt of rain is finished with us yet!

The fax chart for today shows the trough responsible.

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

A rare day of sunshine today, with frequent sunny spells after a damp start. Cool refreshing breeze when the sun was out, a little bit parky when it was behind clouds. If we don't get any showers tonight, we might just scrape 24 continuous hours without precipitation for what seems like a very long time.

Posted

Only 0.2mm of rain today due to a short shower late morning, otherwise it's been sunny for much of the day for a change.

Im not expecting much rain in the next few days either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I'm getting a bit edgy about the way the weather is going at the moment. Firstly today now looks like being dry until well into the evening whereas a couple of days ago the Met' Office seemed condfident it would be raining shortly after midday. Secondly there are now hints that the rain on Friday could clear by afternoon rather than be wet throughout, as was indicated yesterday.

I wasn't filled with confidence about Thursday afternoon's rain when the GFS consistently showed it moving across south west England and then into the Continent and now I get the feeling we're on the slippery slope to 'normal' summer weather after one of the best (subjectively speaking ) starts to a summer I can remember.

The feeling of dread was compounded early this morning when I awoke to the unfamiliar brightness of the sun in a clear sky behind the curtains, and was added to by the weather presenter on local radio gushing on about 'glorious sunshine' and how it made us all feel better.

Speak for yourself!

Posted

A very decent summer day here in the South Lakes, patchy cloud in the morning but generally good spells of sunshine and temps up to 19 degrees and with light winds and good visibility it was an excellent day for getting out and about in the fells - not had many such days so far this summer.

Tomorrow looks another very good day, perhaps not quite as mild thanks to more of a breeze, but still a good one.

I do like days like today, not too humid or sticky, just right for doing outdoor stuff, however, its about time we had a proper warm sunny dry day this summer, not had one yet.. came close last Saturday though..

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Bright pink sunset tonight. A very long time since we had one like that. Are things on the mend? Today managed to mow part of the lawn (knee high gtass). No meadows cut yet, but everyone is poised to start when / if the weather settles down..

Posted

The sun-lovers among us were well served across a belt of northern England today, as most of Scotland plus NE England from Tyneside northwards had yet another dull day and it was dull and wet further south. It got to 21C in my back garden here in Sandhutton this afternoon, and at least 19C at nearby Topcliffe according to Weather Underground (not quite sure yet how much of a difference the sheltered nature of the back garden is making to the readings at present), so this area may have been among the warmest in the country.

Tomorrow looks like seeing the main sunny belt extend a little further north, so Damisanslaw's location should have another bright day tomorrow, and my location might be far north enough to hold onto it. That said, I wouldn't say no to some showers and thundery activity over the next couple of days too- just as long as it doesn't subsequently go grey with relatively boring moderate rain like yesterday did!

Posted

Litte bit of rain this morning, I think the fragemented band of rain as moved slightly more north than the BBC forecasted last night. Hopefully the sun will shine through later, with maybe heavy showers possible.

Posted

The holes in yesterday's cloud sheet appear to have filled in leaving my area of the country with an absolutely jaw-dropping dry, cloudy and cool day.

Tomorrow is progged by the models to be a day of sunshine and showers with possible thunder in Yorkshire- but only if we can shift all of this cloud!

Posted

Heavy rain here which is a surprise after the forecast this morning.It could last for quite a while aswell.

A very wet month here so far that is for sure.

Posted

Terrible day, cold with heavy rain all afternoon - and it's still going. Very fitting for Friday the 13th.

I had a feeling I was onto a hiding after managing a couple of half-decent days in a row.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Terrible day, cold with heavy rain all afternoon - and it's still going. Very fitting for Friday the 13th.

I had a feeling I was onto a hiding after managing a couple of half-decent days in a row.

More like 25th December here, pouring rain, cool with condensation running down the windows after a Turkey roast ....

yes a turkey roast tonight not a BBQ !!!!

Posted

No meadows cut yet, but everyone is poised to start when / if the weather settles down..

We had a good drying day yesterday, cold and grey today but still dry and a few have been cut mostly for silage/haylage but if it really picks up by the end of the month could yet be baled as hay.

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l

Not the best of days today :X