Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 11th July 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Heavy shower here now. Looking at the radar, those cells in Somerset seem to be drifting ever so slightly north, meaning a soaking for my location this afternoon

Nothing thundery in them however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Think AJ means low-level convergence @gotolovethisweather

Cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Heavy shower here now. Looking at the radar, those cells in Somerset seem to be drifting ever so slightly north, meaning a soaking for my location this afternoon

Nothing thundery in them however.

Where are you in Bristol AWD?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Isn't it a bit early for storms yet? Looking at gfs and other charts on lightning wizard, it seems late afternoon / early evening is the time for storms? Those charts Coast posted earlier are for between 6 and 9pm. Unless I'm being very dumb lol? Wouldn't be the first or last time!

The amber warning is valid from 230

Posted

Where are you in Bristol AWD?

Bristol Temple Meads

Posted

Isn't it a bit early for storms yet? Looking at gfs and other charts on lightning wizard, it seems late afternoon / early evening is the time for storms? Those charts Coast posted earlier are for between 6 and 9pm. Unless I'm being very dumb lol? Wouldn't be the first or last time!

Around 18.00hrs onwards if it get's the trigger I imagine?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Around 18.00hrs onwards if it get's the trigger I imagine?

Things went bang in the SE around 3pm onwards on Wedneday, with peaking activity from 6pm onwards.

With conditions today fairly similar to Wednesday, I would expect it to pan out in a similar fashion.

First stronger looking cells now developing in the West/SW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Aaaaaaaaaand.....waving my magic wand and transforming drizzle into a TS....poof!!!!!! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Aaaaaaaaaand.....waving my magic wand and transforming drizzle into a TS....poof!!!!!! rofl.gif

Careful, you'll be put in the NSC. blum.gif

Things went bang in the SE around 3pm onwards on Wedneday, with peaking activity from 6pm onwards.

With conditions today fairly similar to Wednesday, I would expect it to pan out in a similar fashion.

First stronger looking cells now developing in the West/SW

Indeed Harry, looking good for folks heading to the south cotswolds within the hour I would say. good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Sun's come out. Hopefully a good sign for later this arvo?

Posted

Wow this place is starting to come alive but what about the storms?

Me and my good friend are thinking of chasing this afternoon, if we need to head into Oxfordshire, can someone inform me of good vantage points around that way.

Many Thanks

gottolovethisweather

Further to my post earlier. Any ideas guys n gals? search.gifdrinks.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks to be over the North Midlands to me Luke, at least on radar, as areas of moderate PPN are still pushing northwards through the midlands with a visible clearance pushing in from the SW.....and overhead it's dead calm, indicitive of being right in the middle of the LLC (low level convergence) zone

Ahh, I was looking on XC Weather which showed winds converging around Gloucester earlier Im sure but doesnt look so now. This cloud is struggling to shift anyway so am slightly beginning to doubt our chances now though a good few hours left.

Posted

Further to my post earlier. Any ideas guys n gals? search.gifdrinks.gif

You could try Lickey, but it isn't the easiest place to get too.

Otherwise somewhere like Chipping Norton or Cleeve hill are both high up and open places, both in line with a storm later today.

Posted

We've had a period of warm sunshine in West Wiltshire which has raised the temp to 18.7c and there is now a very heavy line of downpours

running SSW-NNE between Yeovil-Malmesbury with the cells pulsing along that direction while the line as whole moves roughly Eastwards.

As far as I know there's no lightning been detected yet but it's this line which could be the trouble maker as it continues East through the afternoon

with current rates in the cell cores at between 30mm to 70mm per hour.

It seems to trail down towards Exeter too so may continue to keep building in a SW direction.

Posted

My local radio station is forecasting a months rain this evening alone. Is there any credibility in that or is it just scare mongering?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

If that area of precipitation over mid/west Wales doesnt get thundery I will eat my iPad.

Posted

My local radio station is forecasting a months rain this evening alone. Is there any credibility in that or is it just scare mongering?

Well, if Basildon is slap bang under the CZ (if it develops) then I don't think it's that outlandish...CZ storms, which form a line and persist for several hours can drop considerable amounts of rainfall in a short space of time.

The precise location of where the CZ forms however is up for debate at the moment, with an area from say the Wash southwards to Essex/North Kent, then Westwards across N London, S Midlands towards Wales being picked out as a favoured zone...the actual CZ may only be a few miles across so much of the MetO amber warning zone may not see a drop of rain, while others may see a month's worth...you just don't know.

To summarise, I'd say the yes there's potential for signficant rainfall totals today - by no means a guarantee a single drop will fall in Basildon (if that makes sense)

Certainly for around here, doesn't seem remotely thundery at all, nothing close to what it looked/felt like on Wednesday!

Edited by Harry

Posted

I guess it depends on which month they're thinking of!!!!

There is quite a bit of rain coming, I'm just not sure it's any different from days over the previous 2 weeks:

gfs_prec_eur15.png

gfs_prec_eur18.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

July average I think is about 60mm, I can't see that being beaten tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Looks like its gonna stay pretty damn dry round here. Good luck those north and south of us.

Posted

That preciptation midlands / north england is certainly pepping up..

Gone dark here in Leeds city centre and started raining heavily.

May get some action later however no real solar heating today...mad.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Absolutely stinking day here now. Constant drizzle, blown in by a slow moving easterly/ north-easterly (which is also blowing vast amounts of petro-chemical pollution over the town)...had to wear a fleece to go out before, I've got the temp hovering round 13c....and it is showing no signs of letting up. 100% blanket stratus cloud too. Please someone give me hope haha!