Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013 Part 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Very quiet on here today, everyone having a Sunday afternoon power nap :~]

Haha, i think maybe the fact Autumn has arrived with Heavy Rain and Strong winds forecast has took the attention of winter for the timebeing ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Very quiet on here today, everyone having a Sunday afternoon power nap :~]

Well at least, it gives you a chance to catch up on the 220 other posts on this thread and the 709 on the preceding one. rofl.gif

All joking aside though, there has been and will continue to be, many a worthwhile post as things become clearer, stratospherically speaking etc. sorry.gifhi.gifyahoo.gif

Probably not from me though. doh.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Hi all

Here's my first UK model based seasonal forecast;

http://www.gavsweath...m/seasonal.html

Created on 21st September 2012 this video uses seasonal, global numerical models from the UK Met Office, JAMSTEC, the Beijing Climate Center and CFS/NOAA to predict the possible weather in the United Kingdom for the coming winter.

As expected so far away the models create a mixed picture, with the UK Met Office model looking very cold, while many of the other models look nearer normal.

More updates will follow in October and November and as well as these model based forecasts once a month I'll be doing regular updates with round-up videos where I look at SST's, snow cover, etc...

If you have any questions or points about the video, please ask.

Thanks for your support. smile.png

The Met Office model appears to have shades of Winter 2010/11 about it. Very cold start gradually becoming milder as the season progresses?

Nice video gav- Ive watched the first bit so far

One comment I would add to your period analysis commentary-

Is that on seasonal models they tend to blend out a signal the further away we get in time, as expected the signal for blocking is weakened as I guess more of a historical bias is applied towards the norm at long range-

So to see a blocking signal for Jan or feb is VERY good even if its weak because is overiding the bias....

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Jst seen a tweet from Jlaminate floori, jamsec model predicting a Nino winter.

Jamstec backs short lived nino and return to la nina. AGW Agenda Drivel beaten like Scarlett Ohara's mule.. again pic.twitter.com/LGnpa3oh

Edited by IBringTheHammer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Jst seen a tweet from Jlaminate floori, jamsec model predicting a Nino winter.

Jamstec backs short lived nino and return to la nina. AGW Agenda Drivel beaten like Scarlett Ohara's mule.. again pic.twitter.com/LGnpa3oh

From that, what would we expect for our winter to be like, if jamstec was indeed correct? Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Better chance of epic winter with la nina rather than el nino i believe. Bt its nt impossible.

Keep in mind its jst a forecast and there are loads of variables in play during our winter.

Posted

The Met Office model appears to have shades of Winter 2010/11 about it. Very cold start gradually becoming milder as the season progresses?

Well ideally I'd rather an 09/10 style winter with the cold arriving just in the run up towards Christmas as opposed to November/December 2010 when it arrived earlier as it just makes the occasion all the more special in my eyes but beggar's can't be choosers I suppose.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted

Thanks Don. Yes, I though of 10/11 when I was going through the charts.

Nice video gav- Ive watched the first bit so far

One comment I would add to your period analysis commentary-

Is that on seasonal models they tend to blend out a signal the further away we get in time, as expected the signal for blocking is weakened as I guess more of a historical bias is applied towards the norm at long range-

So to see a blocking signal for Jan or feb is VERY good even if its weak because is overiding the bias....

S

Thanks Steve. I know you used to do something a bit like this, so its great to get your feedback. And you make a very good point about the signal becoming weaker the further out you go. I'll try and make that clearer in future vids. I'm still learning as I go how to get everything in. biggrin.png

Edited by Gavin P

Posted

No worries

I remember the model tracker-!!

Note tonights ECM trending back on atlantic blocking at 192-

S

Yeah ECM and GFS are like chalk and cheese in FI. I hope ECM has picked up on something because it was starting to look like a mild period was on its way.

Posted

dont worry about mild periods in early october - irrelevant wrt to winter. a blocked pattern with a gentle continental feed is lovely for early october. anyway, nice to see another cfs run with a semi permanent -AO signal throughout winter. very blocked for us and a jan which looks like a neg CET though quite dry. dec and feb dont deliver too much of note so a good example that a neg AO doesnt guarantee a snowfest for nw europe. tbh, that run looks remarkably like the mean charts from the french bureau linked to earlier today. onwards and upwards ...............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Better chance of epic winter with la nina rather than el nino i believe. Bt its nt impossible.

Keep in mind its jst a forecast and there are loads of variables in play during our winter.

Not sure that is true. Lots depends on the severity of Nina or Nino - it is not a one size fits all weather driver. My understanding is that a weak Nino to neutral ENSO is statistically very good for cold weather over here. Strong La Nina conditions tend to favour a more active vortex in the early part of winter...

Posted

Well ideally I'd rather an 09/10 style winter with the cold arriving just in the run up towards Christmas as opposed to November/December 2010 when it arrived earlier as it just makes the occasion all the more special in my eyes but beggar's can't be choosers I suppose.

Oh yes so would I. As epic as December 2010 was I still preferred Winter 2009/10 to 2010/11 for the same reasons as you mention. In many ways 2010/11 was very similar to 1981/82 but the main difference was that it started a couple of weeks earlier and come the end of December that was it for severe cold and snowy weather for the south at least, whereas the 1st half of January 1982 had further severe cold and snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow

Oh yes so would I. As epic as December 2010 was I still preferred Winter 2009/10 to 2010/11 for the same reasons as you mention. In many ways 2010/11 was very similar to 1981/82 but the main difference was that it started a couple of weeks earlier and come the end of December that was it for severe cold and snowy weather for the south at least, whereas the 1st half of January 1982 had further severe cold and snow.

WHat would be great is 09/10 and 10/11 mixed together and then you would get the perfect winter.

my fav was 09/10yahoo.gif

Posted

I really can't choose between 09-10 and 10-11.

There was snow here in early December 2010, and then an epic fall on December 17th (30-45cm) followed by a Christmas week of bitter temperatures and enormous icicles but after New Year it was one of the dullest winter periods I can remember.

Our first snow in 2009 (4 inches or so) was on December 21st and it stayed around for Christmas. We had another two or three heavy falls up until mid-January, and further lighter falls throughout February and early March.

I suppose 09-10 trumps the following winter, but only just, because the snow fall of December 17th 2010 was just spectacular, especially with it occurring in the run up to Christmas.

I'm especially fond of these two pictures I took:

http://static.netwea..._785_203914.jpg

http://static.netwea..._785_947702.jpg

More in my gallery.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

A very acceptable chart for October, snow possible to low levels even further south from this, albeit not huge amounts and probably restricted to coastal areas.

cfs-0-912.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Not sure that is true. Lots depends on the severity of Nina or Nino - it is not a one size fits all weather driver. My understanding is that a weak Nino to neutral ENSO is statistically very good for cold weather over here. Strong La Nina conditions tend to favor a more active vortex in the early part of winter...

The winter of 2009-2010 showed that even a strong El Nino is very good for cold weather here. The great thing about that El Nino was that its toasty Warm Pool was West Based i.e. in the Tropical Western Pacific Ocean in contrast to the more common East Based El Nino Warm Pools in the Tropical Eastern Pacific Ocean. With the strong El Nino Warm Pool West Based this actually enhanced the signal for a Negative Pacific Decadel Oscillation phase. The West Based El Nino signal also combined with the -ve PDO to create a Positive Pacific North America Pattern phase. This whole setup created an Upper Level Trough over the Midlatitude North Eastern Pacific Ocean, an Upper Level Ridge over the Western United States and an Upper Level Trough over the Eastern United States. This combination also means the main Upper Level Westerly Jet Stream leaves the United States on a Southerly Track which also sets up a powerful Negative North Atlantic Oscillation and Negative Arctic Oscillation phase. Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

It seems to have been raining non stop since earlier, imagine if it were winter under a similar setup.shok.gif

We can dream...! lazy.gifdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

CFS looking quite zonal this morning - must have woken with a headache and is thus a bit grumpy! blum.gif

Hopefully some paracetamol and steroids (for good measure) will put it in a much better mood later on! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it.

All I know is, it had better be a snowfest this year as my little boy wants a bigger snowman than 09/10 and that one was 13'. cool.png

post-13257-0-94176700-1348476810_thumb.j

Posted

All I know is, it had better be a snowfest this year as my little boy wants a bigger snowman than 09/10 and that one was 13'. cool.png

Good effort!

Maybe we need a Netweather winter mascot! :)

Posted

That gives me an idea.. A Netweather snowman comp!! smiliz19.gif

All we need now is the snow! (and a stash of carrots)!