Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - October 4th 2012>

Snowangel-MK

Guest archiesmummy

Yes I remember the storm, we got the day off school! (Sorry!)

We lost our apple tree and quite a few tiles off the roof but no one was injured which was good, it was the scariest thing I ever remember about the weather and possibly where my fascination started. I still get nervous when its very windy but still have a weird 'need' to watch it, bit like thunderstorms.

Anyway back to today, was quite sunny with lovely blue sky when I did the nursery run but has quite quickly become cloudy.

Hope you all have a great day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Reasonably pleasant here at the moment. Not much more to say about it. smile.png

I had an ice warning in the car earlier, but couldn't see anything actually frozen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The sky was quite dramatic here first thing...

post-10773-0-89844300-1350294506_thumb.j

...had some heavy rain earlier this morning but that has cleared up a bit for now anyway... happy Monday everyone angel.gif

Posted

Blimey, is it really 25 years since the great storm? Don't think I will ever forget that night - I even remember watching the now infamous weather forecast the night before!

Posted

Blimey, is it really 25 years since the great storm? Don't think I will ever forget that night - I even remember watching the now infamous weather forecast the night before!

Mmmm, yes I wasn't going to mention that, but seeing as the BBC have....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19923565

Posted

I remember the storm well, firstly it was my 35th Birthday (you can do the maths, but its a big one today), secondly we where the only house in our crescent not to suffer any structural damage, 59 others did, amazing memories of watching roof after roof come off, and who can forget the sound / noise or the sticky stuff on the windows. One funny incident was the back windows where bowing in and I thought I would be brave and investigate to see if they would come in totally, as I was looking at these I glanced out to see a shed going past the upstairs window, thought that was slightly unusual, but was surprised the next day when we had a knock on the door asking if I had seen a shed, obviously i said yes, it went that way.

Posted

Good morning all. Well I am back home after a very pleasant week long stay with friends down on the Sussex Coast, where the weather was variable to say the least.

I set off from Northwood ( NW London ) at 8:15pm on the night of Friday October 5th, the weather was atrocious and it was torrential rain for most of the 100 mile drive. Despite that I arrived safely on the seafront at Hastings just after 10pm, it was shrouded in low cloud, mist and drizzle. Not looking good.

Saturday and Sunday however were stunning, with blue skies aplenty and out of the wind it felt pleasantly warm. That Saturday night we went to the Eastbourne Bonfire procession and firework display. Hardly a breath of wind and suprisingly mild. Its a shame the display was a bit dissapointing though. Note to Eastbourne....if you want to see how to do fireworks, check out Hastings !!

Overnight that Sunday the weather changed with a vengeance, and I was woken up by the sound of torrential rain pounding on the roof. Monday and Tuesday delivered copious rainfall, and the higher ground around Hastings was shrouded in low cloud and mist for much of the time.

Wednesday it was all change again, with clear blue skies and pleasantly mild, before the next attack from the west. Thursday was a washout, Friday not much better. Then came Saturday, the day of the Hastings Bonfire Procession and Firework display.

It felt like all 4 seasons in one day. Brilliant sunshine one minute, dark foreboding clouds the next. A succession of heavy showers swept through producing monsoon like rainfall and hail, but sadly no thunder and lightning. How they managed to light the massive bonfire on the beach at Hastings that evening I will never know, given how wet it was, but light it they did. It remained dry but chilly all evening, and we had a great time.

Sunday ( October 14th ) was the day I had to head home with a heavy heart. Hastings was once again blessed with azure blue skies and glorious sunshine. We dined al-fresco at a seafront cafe before finally saying a temporary goodbye. I can't wait to go back.

BB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Afternoon each. Drizzly here in Norwich and dull, dull, dull. Ugh! Hope everyone is ok and having a good start to their week. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Rain rain and more bloody rain Surrey.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

To cut a long story short. Rain & Rain & More Rain, then becoming milder, also windy at times. Proper mix of Autumn to come this coming week.

Posted

It looks as if the worst of the wet stuff is for the West country Wednesday and Thursday but there is a Met O Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England for Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Oxfordshire, Southampton & West Berkshire.

Valid from: 0005 on Thu 18 Oct 2012 to: 2359 on Thu 18 Oct 2012

This was issued at: 1336 on Mon 15 Oct 2012

The ground remains saturated, and with the threat of further heavy rain, the public are advised to be aware that localised flooding and disruption to travel remains a risk on Thursday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=1C1F7DE4-ECB6-1F70-7558-5EB31E9F143B_3_SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Yes indeed, lived in Essex at the time and it has to be the worst single weather event i have ever seen.

One thing that allways sticks in the mind was how thick tree trunks were twisted clean in half by the wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

I remember the storm, I was also in Essex, in Southend. I remember watching the sea and sand making the beach road look like part of the seashore. My old man had a rolls royce at the time and i remember laughing (sorry dad) my As* off watching the roof tiles dent the heck out of it....

Posted
cold.gif Brrrr bit chilly here isn't it? Having been used to 36°C air temp and 27°C in the sea for a while, its time to wrap up warm and face the coming season!!! Edited by Coast

Posted

cold.gif Brrrr bit chilly here isn't it? Having been used to 36°C air temp and 27°C in the sea for a while, its time to wrap up warm and face the coming season!!!

Nice to have you back Coast, you've been missed - I'm so glad the sharks didn't get you !

angel.gif

Posted

Nice to have you back Coast, you've been missed - I'm so glad the sharks didn't get you !

angel.gif

The sharks in the Market Place with hooky watches and sunglasses tried their hardest!!!

Posted

Cheers Surrey!!! Seen some amazing stuff under the sea and can't wait to get back. But it looks like the Winter season will be the next thing to look forward to before then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Yes,welcome back Coast.drinks.gif

As you undoubtedly know, you've missed nothing, weatherwise, here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

My parents always regail me with the story of the storm. My Dad frantically trying to make it back home with my brother and sister before the storm hit. My parents and my sister all snuggled in their bedroom listening and watching it as they couldn't sleep. My brother slep through the whole thing. We lost roof tiles and a huge tree that fell over 3 gardens.

Next morning all the men came out to clear up and repair and the women were making tea and lunches as fast as they could. Very typically Britain pulling together in a crisis type behaviour.

I was not born at this time.

Posted
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Siberian
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level

My parents always regail me with the story of the storm. My Dad frantically trying to make it back home with my brother and sister before the storm hit. My parents and my sister all snuggled in their bedroom listening and watching it as they couldn't sleep. My brother slep through the whole thing. We lost roof tiles and a huge tree that fell over 3 gardens.

Next morning all the men came out to clear up and repair and the women were making tea and lunches as fast as they could. Very typically Britain pulling together in a crisis type behaviour.

I was not born at this time.

I remember St Mary's Lane in Upminster had the trees cleared half way, the half of the road that was in Upminster i.e. The London Borough of Havering. Brentwood District Council had left their half uncleared of fallen trees, so there was a considerable amount of chaos as cars tried to turn round half way! So much for Nation Shall Speak Unto Nation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

In Context

The storm cost a total of 18 lives and an estimated £1 billion in repairs and clear-up costs. Hundreds of people were injured.

Around 15 million trees were lost and hundreds of thousands of homes were without power for more than 24 hours.

By the time most people went to bed, exceptionally strong winds had not even been mentioned in national radio and TV weather broadcasts.

Michael Fish's famous line that there wouldn't be a hurricane was actually correct. He was referring to a tropical cyclone in the West Atlantic.

Officially the gusts were locally hurricane force in strength but not sufficiently widespread.

According to the Met Office the last storm of similar magnitude in England occurred in 1703.

1987: Hurricane winds batter southern England

]270px-Temp%C3%AAte_Europe_1987.jpg

Edited by Jason T