Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Should be some snow in the heavier showers. If this comes off I should think it'll be more of a wintry mix. It'll be the east which gets all of the fun and games, as usual really.

yes sometimes it makes it here from the East :-)

Posted

Just a few days ago i had 40% chance of snow for my area but thats gone its now Monday that will probably change too :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The main issue that we have is that when the colder air arrives the winds are projected to back northerly, and pretty much down the spine of the country, which will help to restrict sleet and snow showers to coastal fringes unless we get any significant trough activity. Troughs are not out of the question though, as it will be a cyclonic/northerly regime.

I think many of us are in with a shot at frontal snow on Monday, especially to the east of the Pennines- perhaps reminiscent of the 4th December 2008.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Saame for Leeds..

rJxEs.png

Forecast for suburbs is colder

m3zOX.png

The map is showing quite a decent area of wintry PPN, looks reasonably solid albeit light. Run the sequence through from 9am on saturday onwards.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/?tab=map

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The main issue that we have is that when the colder air arrives the winds are projected to back northerly, and pretty much down the spine of the country, which will help to restrict sleet and snow showers to coastal fringes unless we get any significant trough activity. Troughs are not out of the question though, as it will be a cyclonic/northerly regime.

I think many of us are in with a shot at frontal snow on Monday, especially to the east of the Pennines- perhaps reminiscent of the 4th December 2008.

Which was a great snowfall here, so would take a repeat for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The GFS was hinting at some trough activity in the Irish Sea just off the coast of North Wales on Saturday. We shall see, but I guess troughs and disturbances are hard to forecast.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yet another run which looks very interesting north of the Midlands on Monday, we have an incoming front with surface SE winds (indicating undercutting) and a tight thermal gradient with the -5C isotherm present ahead of an occluding front which develops a wave on it.

If this backs a little west then those of us in the north east should be getting very excited.

Posted

Cold Weather alert now in place from Met Office,

60% North East England

60% North West England

60% Yorkshire and Humber

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness in one or more regions of England

Issued at: Tuesday 27 November 2012 at 08:44

http://www.metoffice...ldweatheralert/ There is a 60% probability of severe cold weather between 0600 on Friday and 0600 on Saturday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

A cold northerly airflow will become established across the UK this week. Later this week as the wind becomes light which will allow sharp overnight frosts to occur, and lead to lower mean temperatures. Northern and some western areas of the UK will become the coldest, and there will be an increased likelihood of ice on surfaces, especially where surfaces remain wet from standing water or run-off. Freezing fog remains likely.

http://www.metoffice...ldweatheralert/

Edited by Andy163

Posted

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/bd11

GFS calls it for me. Monday 12pm, heavy snow (some changes obviously before then).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Same link shows heavy snowfall over my postal code too. temps down to -5C too.

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

Well, the BBC/met Office do seem to also dive in on the cold, snow for me Saturday, a week today and a week on Thursday ... Doubt it will be right considering the milder 'blip' in prospect for early next week.

Very exciting times ahead for us in the North, though ... especially this weekend ... I'm fairly confident that, on average, most places won't get above 2'C in the day if that.

Edited by hedgehog4

Posted

UKMO 96hr looking decent for chance of snow showers on Saturday

UW96-21.GIF?27-18

As is the ECM 96hr and 120hr on Saturday and Sunday

ECM1-96.GIF?27-0

ECM1-120.GIF?27-0

Uppers look sufficient at sub -6 at 850Hpa, marginal yes. Looking cold by any means :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, the UKMO and ECMWF are making rather more of that North Sea trough which would presumably promote showery activity further inland and perhaps the odd more organised belt of precipitation. The UKMO continues to look the most potentially snowy of the three IMHO, but even the GFS is now suggesting wintry precipitation getting inland for a time on Saturday.

Posted

ECWMF backs the GFS for next Monday, anybody from the triple point north will likely see snow...

ECM0-144.GIF?27-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

It's just torrential hail shower after torrential hail shower here tonight..some really potent downpours it's horrible out there tonight! :-(

Posted

In terms of the shorter range ... possibility of a frost tonight although for most temperatures will settle just above the freezing level for most, perhaps. ... blue skies for me tomorrow and Thursday (with the odd clouds tomorrow) ... coupled with ever lasting morning frosts and crisp cold afternoons with the ever so ineffective sunshine ... Bliss!

A definite frost on Wednesday night for most, clear spells looking very likely with temperatures for most dead around 0.

Any snow/sleet/rain arriving Friday night (But most probably Saturday early doors) for most ... Although with the overcast forecast for Thursday night for some ... perhaps the odd chance of some flurries on Thursday Night.

Edited by hedgehog4

Posted

Good to see the north sea convection machine back in action with some pretty beefy

showers around this evening,although this won't help the flooding situation.

Should be less showers around as we go through tomorrow,but with colder upper

air and lower dewpoints,any showers could be quite wintry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

In terms of the shorter range ... possibility of a frost tonight although for most temperatures will settle just above the freezing level for most, perhaps. ... blue skies for me tomorrow and Thursday (with the odd clouds tomorrow) ... coupled with ever lasting morning frosts and crisp cold afternoons with the ever so ineffective sunshine ... Bliss!

A definite frost on Wednesday night for most, clear spells looking very likely with temperatures for most dead around 0.

Any snow/sleet/rain arriving Friday night (But most probably Saturday early doors) for most ... Although with the overcast forecast for Thursday night for some ... perhaps the odd chance of some flurries on Thursday Night.

Agree with you on the above

my eyes at the momemt are on sunday night(FI)on the front coming in if that stalls

someone is going to get a pasting

time will tell, again the models especially the ECM wants to put us in the freezer in FI

intresting times ahead.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

The potential snow later in the week has completely past me by to be honest so caught up have I been in seeking the dream synoptics in the model thread. What are peoples thoughts on the durham area recieving some snow between now and next monday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

The potential snow later in the week has completely past me by to be honest so caught up have I been in seeking the dream synoptics in the model thread. What are peoples thoughts on the durham area recieving some snow between now and next monday?

I would say about 50%

C,S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Not always the most reliable forecasts these but click on the Saturday icon, also there is the map on the Met Office site which also suggests snow showers for many Northern areas on the weekend, even a longer spell of continuous light snow possible, no serious accumulations i would'nt envisage though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650628

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

I would say about 50%

C,S

I wouldn't be too sure ... but surely a tad more than that? Temperatures perhaps colder more inland compared to Durham but I think with precipitation confidence fairly high ... I'd go for 70%.

I'm always wrong though :p