Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted

It's going to be interesting to see the rainfall totals here by the morning that is for sure. Most of the rain has been light so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Its showing lightening on my weather here for leyland, lancs, is it showing on the radar?

About a couple of hours ago i was outside and kept hearing this constant boom, very bassy, my partner said it must be fireworks but it was too deep and constant for that, there was no lights at all, just dark...anyone? Lol

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Me too. Heard sudden rumbling that sounded like thunder -- out west somewhere. About an hour ago? Didn't think to check any charts as I dismissed it as TV forecasts haven't mentioned it. .Doesn't seem to be any sign on radar. Perhaps something's "gone up" !

Posted

heard a few rumbles here too-wasn't sure if it was someone moving a wheelie bin but couldn't see anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Any chance TWS or Damian-what-his-name could give us all a Northern England weather forecast for the up and coming cold spell, based on the models as they evolve over the next 7 days and beyond please?

Leave Thornaby-on-Tees out of it though!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I ain't no TWS/Damian- but based purely on the 12z ECM- I would say very wet, cool weather today and tomorrow- continuing on Monday, before turning notably cooler- with winds veering north to north-easterly by Wednesday- under mainly cool, wet (or wintry at times) weather- which can turn to snow, especially on higher ground Wednesday onwards- as a trough falls on Friday and Saturday next week, the precipitation will be heavier but more marginal.

I wouldn't really predict anything after Tuesday- where the hemispherical pattern changes noticeably across the major NWP.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Cheers IF, and based on what the charts are showing for the up coming cold spell, how do you see the weather panning out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I'm looking primarily at the H500 anomalies charts for the 6-14 day period, along with a small dose of UKMO and ECM output (and a very, very small dose of the GFS and JMA).

Stratospheric, MJO, GWO, GLAAM and other teleconnections charts for anything past 2 weeks- a lot in the strato thread for that.

I believe there is a still a lot of indecision in the NWP and that a shift towards a Benelux-German trough is more likely after D7- I see a surge to a north-easterly flow, alternating with a northerly flow next week-

Plenty of trough, short-wave etc disruption still to come- and a lot will depend on the strength of the Arctic-Azores link up- but the broad spectrum is for a move to colder weather, and that colder weather will be consistently nearby throughout December, whether it be 250 miles north-east or we be slapbang in the middle of a feast

I'm sure it'll be another great month though- and it'll all come together soon enough :)

Posted

Stunning pic Polar Maritime :)

So far only lightish rain here, the South West getting clobbered again I see. The BBC forecast clears the rain band away mid-morning onwards and even presents the NW with a bit of sunshine before the next band of rain come in from the west on Sunday evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Just watching a film on sky called Snowmagaden,.......is someone trying to tell me something

C.S

Posted

Not a lot happening here so far, with mostly light rain and just short of 5mm so far. Looks like a drier slot about to spread from the south very soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Wonder what the chances are that the NW regional thread will be back ? Seeing as NE england can have different weather to the NW and vise versa.

The models looking real good tonight for the East and South East areas. I'd much prefer to see a stronger easterly flow than a north easterly so that us on the west side get the chance of snow with the fronts being pushed well in land.

Posted

Bingley, West Yorkshire and Leek Thorncliffe, north Staffordshire Met Office stations are both reporting sleet at altitudes of 262m and 298m respectively.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The first day of meteorological winter looks pretty cold if the GFS is to be believed.

ukmaxtemp.png

ukmintemp.png

The following night is even colder - down to -6C

ukmintemp.png

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A very wild and gusty morning here, but the rain has pushed through now, at least for a while...

Current temp 4.3 c

N/W wind Gusting 52mph.

Roll on winter biggrin.png

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Heavy and sometimes torrential persistent rain here all night and looks like continuing for some time yet....

Posted

Seems to have been about 28mm since 8pm yesterday, still raining as hard as ever but the back edge is not far to SW now, 7.7C so no sleet here.

Posted

Hopefully this time next week the only PPN we get will be of snowbiggrin.png

Yes SS, looking up for next week as we enter the freezer...smiliz19.gif

Very dark here this morning, with sharp showers blowing through. It'l be dark by 4pm today if this keeps up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Is the North West of England likely to get any snow from the cold shot in December?

Edited by Chill Pill