Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and bitterly cold winters with lots of snow

Any sort of snow for my area so early in the season would be huge improvement on this time last year. Last winter was such a huge let down compared to 2010-11. Hoping this upcoming cold snap is just a small taster for what the rest of winter has to offer, fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Light rain just started here after a dry afternoon.

Feeling chilly. Only 4.9C..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Countryfile forecast is looking good for cold later this week and even showing chances of snow.

Snow is looking mainly in the form of showers to the east but once the cold is set in then any troughs which come along could give a more widespread fall.

Unfortunately the forecast ended at Friday so no mention was made about the snow currently being talked about for Saturday.

Whether thats a good thing or a bad one: no doubt we'll find out in a few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

What gets me is yes the ECM is trash but a possibility and quite a few take it as nailed after one bad run

if it had been the GFS 12z run that had shown this we would here that this run was to progresive and unlikly

to verify

C.S

Posted

What gets me is yes the ECM is trash but a possibility and quite a few take it as nailed after one bad run

if it had been the GFS 12z run that had shown this we would here that this run was to progresive and unlikly

to verify

C.S

Works both ways, I'm afraid. When it's a good run it's latched onto too. The problem is, most of us want snow/cold, and many let that determine how they react to models rather than looking at them objectively. Some of the worst posting on the MO thread is by people ramping up cold/snow. I find this 10 times more irritating than the odd few preaching caution and pointing up mild(er) charts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and bitterly cold winters with lots of snow

According to the model thread I should now be packing away my snow shoes, snow shovel and winter survival kit and instead stocking up on sunblock, shorts and beach towels for next weekend. I thought mother nature controlled the weather and not a pile of data punched into some number crunching supercomputer. Or am I wrong?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

According to the model thread I should now be packing away my snow shoes, snow shovel and winter survival kit and instead stocking up on sunblock, shorts and beach towels for next weekend. I thought mother nature controlled the weather and not a pile of data punched into some number crunching supercomputer. Or am I wrong?

We'll probably only be able to answer that in April.

Posted

The front could turn wintry at times over N.England with uppers ranging from -1/-3. Not expecting anything substantial but the odd bit of snow in heavier bursts wouldn't surprise me.

Temps here rose to 4.c under the light rain, back to 3.c now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Temperatures sky rocketed here as that front brought with it milder air. No chance this could turn wintry, the second a spot of rain even starts to fall the temperatures and DP's will rise. Not long before this happens in Leeds too Cheese Rice, don't get your hopes up.... yet.

Only chance of snow is on high ground and the Cumbrian frost hollows such as Shap as winds swing to the north.

8.1C.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Temperatures sky rocketed here as that front brought with it milder air. No chance this could turn wintry, the second a spot of rain even starts to fall the temperatures and DP's will rise. Not long before this happens in Leeds too Cheese Rice, don't get your hopes up.... yet.

Only chance of snow is on high ground and the Cumbrian frost hollows such as Shap as winds swing to the north.

8.1C.

I do agree to an extent. Temperatures should rise as the night goes on but towards the end of Monday we see moderate intensity precipitation with uppers of -3, so who knows we may get lucky, nothing more than the odd burst of snow mind but I'd be happy with that.

smile.png

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

It's sleeting!!!!!

w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Edit: 2.8c now, been dropping all night.

I highly doubt it but it would be amazing to wake up to a winter wonderland in the morning.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

36mm in the 12 hours from 10pm-10am yesterday morning. Now up to 50mm in 36 hours.

Posted

It's similar here, but looks like today will comfortably exceed yesterday's 27mm.

I think there will be another quite serious flood event heading for York in a day or two.

The Derwent was already high near Malton on Friday so these two wet days will have it coming out all over in Ryedale for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Lots of roads in the County Durham , tees-side and north Yorkshire are flooded, the Hospital building at Northallerton have also been flooded and Fire crews are on the scene now pumping the water out

The River Skerne which runs through Darlington is running very high this morning, and its only going to get higher over the next 24 hours before its hits its peak during Tuesday

riverskerne.jpg

Picture courtesy of the Northern Echo http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10070282.Live_News__November_26__2012__Floods_/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

And here.. we've not had much rain at all. Perhaps we're the only place in England not experiencing floods (not that I'm complaining)

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Quite a bit of flooding in the fields along the metro line around fellgate, the houses which got flooded a few months ago have sand bags outside their doors again don't know if they'd actually be at risk of flooding though it's more continuous rain today rather than the flash flood they had last time.

Miserable day to be outside like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

It's similar here, but looks like today will comfortably exceed yesterday's 27mm.

I think there will be another quite serious flood event heading for York in a day or two.

The Derwent was already high near Malton on Friday so these two wet days will have it coming out all over in Ryedale for sure.

Was Driving through Malton on Friday out towards Helmsley and the watercourses were high already. Given what's already fallen over the weekend and what's due today, I'd think you're spot on there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Rain here is getting really bad and schools/colleges are closing .

My college which is Stockton Sixth Form College is closing half an hour early at 3:30pm as many roads are flooded in the area.

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The environment agency has issued a flood alert for the river skerne on the outskirts of Darlington flooding to property is possible - full details here - http://darlington-weather.weebly.com/

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

If possible can somone explain the charts this evening because i am confused

is the atlantic crashing through?

will it rain/or snow?

will it be cold/cool

Why am i confused?because the MOD is so controdicting

1 minute everyone exstatic,next minute all doom and gloom

Posted

Rain started here just before midnight last night and has continued moderate/heavy ever since,so

nearly 17 hours of rain and no sign of it stopping any time soon.

There is some local flooding near here which is to be expected,but not as bad as the day in June

which was an exceptional event.

I would imagine there could be some flooding around places such as Chester-le-street in this

sort of set-up.