Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 - General Chat

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

tbh i can't even remember any snow from an easterly here, i don't know why i even called my self snowy easterlies, snow here usually only comes from fronts coming up from the south

Not 09? i know you definately would have got battered in 87 and 91.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The best setup for you is a MAR 95 IMO, some sort of frontal system stalling and then pulling away SE, you must have it the Jackpot woth that.

Around the 24th on a saturday night?

No idea, would have been 6 so I can't remember but yes, probably a good set up for here. Not seen that sort of set up in quite a while.

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

We don't do too badly for Easterlys here even though we have the Pennines just a few miles to our East, in a moderate flow the showers do get over and gives us a good covering but in that setup I've noticed western parts of Manchester have none at all but we get quite a bit, although our best sort of setup for proper disruptive is snow that moves in from the WNW or NW - nothing in the way to moderate the intensity of the snowfall. Something like January 2010.

Posted

Problem is the wind just doesn't become strong enough to drift them in that far west, my area is the same!

i think my area got pasted in jan 87, shame i didn't see it as i was in my mothers womb at the time, but i can't remember a decent easterly in my life tbh but if the setup is good enough i believe they can deliver for our areas

Edited by Snowy Easterlies

Posted

Not 09? i know you definately would have got battered in 87 and 91.

only got a dusting in 09, you don't need to worry though i bet there are a lot of synoptics setups that would deliver for your area,

Edited by Snowy Easterlies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

i think my area got pasted in jan 87, shame i didn't see it as i was in my mothers womb at the time, but i can't remember a decent easterly in my life tbh but if the setup is good enough i believe they can deliver for our areas

As long as the temps are stark between the land and sea then some big beefy showers can form which will take longer to die out, add in a mean wind and bingo!

Posted

only got a dusting in 09, you don't need to worry though i bet there are a lot of synoptics setups that would deliver for your area,

Yes there are, however, ideally i would like another 500ft and be further East, that said Flash, would be favourite location, on the Staffordhire, Derbyshire border, quite West but 1500 ft, the highest village anywhere in uk, another good place Denshaw - still in Saddleworth, but more remote and 1000ft.

Posted

Yes there are, however, ideally i would like another 500ft and be further East, that said Flash, would be favourite location, on the Staffordhire, Derbyshire border, quite West but 1500 ft, the highest village anywhere in uk, another good place Denshaw - still in Saddleworth, but more remote and 1000ft.

i live about 800 yards away from a river so you can tell i have no elevation lol, but 4 or 5 inches of snow is enough to satisfy me if it happened a few times in the winter

Posted

Thames streamers are usually very good for this area! February 2009 was useless though, I was living in the Isle of Grain at the time and we had about 2 hours of snow pellets and then it stopped altogether whilst London got absolutely pasted!

It certainly did and Surrey got even more of a pasting. Funnily enough I was driving back from Kent during the evening of the 2nd and it took over 4 hours instead of an hour to get home. I thought I was going to get strandered on the M25 at one point and had never seen snow like it. I got about 10 inches of level snow in total. I thought that it would be a very long time before I would see anything similar, but then 11 months later came January 2010.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

Yes mate Denshaw is probably the best place in Oldham borough for snow. Also Sholver is right up there too, highest street in Sholver is about 980 feet. Take a look on ordnance survey or Google maps.

Edited by Alan Medlock Valley

Posted

Yes mate Denshaw is probably the best place in Oldham borough for snow. Also Sholver is right up there too, highest street in Sholver is about 980 feet. Take a look on ordnance survey or Google maps.

Google maps is good, not so good in flatter terrain as its hard to find the contours and distinguish them from other things, i have absolutely been through every part near here with a fine comb before i moved, i can assure you it was nothing to do with me in choosing the lowest place in Saddleworth, my mate's missus dumped him unexpectedly while they were living at her moms, a real rush job and their were 2 places that were immediate, this by uppermill and another in Delph, this one got back first and we had the keys within 2 weeks, i had paid the rent already for another month in my old place - wounded, i would have waited for something higher to come up. wiki also very good for geography and demographics of towns.

i live about 800 yards away from a river so you can tell i have no elevation lol, but 4 or 5 inches of snow is enough to satisfy me if it happened a few times in the winter

I live 5 metres from a River but still 600ft!!!!

Posted

Google maps is good, not so good in flatter terrain as its hard to find the contours and distinguish them from other things, i have absolutely been through every part near here with a fine comb before i moved, i can assure you it was nothing to do with me in choosing the lowest place in Saddleworth, my mate's missus dumped him unexpectedly while they were living at her moms, a real rush job and their were 2 places that were immediate, this by uppermill and another in Delph, this one got back first and we had the keys within 2 weeks, i had paid the rent already for another month in my old place - wounded, i would have waited for something higher to come up. wiki also very good for geography and demographics of towns.

I live 5 metres from a River but still 600ft!!!!

im at about 30m asl

anyway ensembles are coming out slowly, this is about the time of year i start to check every single member lol

Posted

Diggle is another good place in Saddleworth, probably within the top 3 snowiest. Especially the higher you go up Huddersfield Road but it's the lack of property available that would be a problem to you.

Posted

Another great place, and better than Denshaw is the village of Holme in West Yorks, just to the SW of Holmfirth. there's quite a few terraced property there and is about 1000ft. Look at this snow! >>> http://en.wikipedia....Winter_1978.jpg

Edited by Alan Medlock Valley

Posted

Diggle is another good place in Saddleworth, probably within the top 3 snowiest. Especially the higher you go up Huddersfield Road but it's the lack of property available that would be a problem to you.

Yes, the centre of uppermill not far but sunday at abot 7am, Uppermill wa above 0c and diggle 1c below, actually im quite near to diggle as i am just outside Uppermill, top of Uppermill is good as well by the pub is above 1000ft, theres a woman on here who is always worried about getting stuck who lives there, she will be in the NW regional if any snow imminent, last post on local elevation from me in this thread as dont want to get on other peoples nerves by going off topic, if you want to carry on the conversation then im happy to do so via PM or other threads though.

Scapegoat hill, Hudder is another stonker.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Don't know if this has been posted yet;

http://www.britishwe...-for-ukireland/

Yes i follow them on twitter, they have been hinting at this for a while aswell as the Met Office. They seem to think 20th onwards, when someone asked earlier on. Its a guessing game for timings that far out, but the potential it does seem is there. Who knows where it will lead us, something to watch on the coming weeks.

Back On Topic- I'm expecting some snowfall this winter, but nothing on 2009 & 2010 levels. I hope to see a repeat of the last few winters all mixed together smile.png Wish that it could snow alot this winter and see a blizzard for once smile.png

Edited by Mark Neal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Another great place, and better than Denshaw is the village of Holme in West Yorks, just to the SW of Holmfirth. there's quite a few terraced property there and is about 1000ft. Look at this snow! >>> http://en.wikipedia....Winter_1978.jpg

That's a light shower in the higher villages of the Highlands ;)

(if we had a troll-face smiley I'd be employing it here)

Posted

a lot of ensembles members show a weaker vortex in FI but i hope something like this don't happen from a IMBY point of view

http://modeles.meteo...12-1-384.png?18 bad luck eh, but that can happen

I would be well happy with that and so should you, Easterly then Northerly the likely outcome from there.

Posted

If Gibby's thoughts are anything to by then that BBC video won't end up meaning jack squat but ah well if he's right then I suppose that Jan/Feb was always going to be our best and most realistic shot at cold anyway.

Why do some people on here continue to employ the modern fad of skim reading?

Gibby's forecasts concentrate on the week ahead and maybe into 10 days or so ahead. They dont even try to look at a month ahead so why ru referring to a forecast that is looking a month or so ahead?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

From what I hear the new seasonal ECM has a positive NAO look for the whole of winter. Not good news if you believe this model.

Posted

From what I hear the new seasonal ECM has a positive NAO look for the whole of winter. Not good news if you believe this model.

But how accurate are the ecm seasonals chino? And whats the different between that one and ecm32 dayer?(except one is for a month and the other a full season)lol