Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted

had an eventful ride back from Penrith today.drove up the 69 and down the M6 but the road spray was awful,decided to come back over the tops as no lorries.

everything going fine until the climb upto hartside.the outside temp was dropping like a stone -2 and we hit whiteout a mile to the cafe.worst ive drove in since 2010 without a doubt.

conditions improved rapidly on the eastern decent as temps climbed to 1.5c.once again they plummeted coming out of Nenthead and road conditions were atrocious to say the least.

gritter sitting parked up on the top as they had their bait lol.further down towards Killhope an AUDI was sideways in the ditch with a bemused driver just staring at it.the very same AUDI that flew past me 10 mins earlier,he seemed ok so i left him to contemplate his driving standards.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Oh dear no posts in 2 days - thanks to the return of more average standard December weather fayre. Have to say it has been a remarkably quiet uneventful weekend weatherwise, average/slightly above average temps, a bit of rain/showers, very different to the last third december weekends of the last 3 years, all of which were wintry, last year less so than 2009, 2010, but on all three occasions snow fell.

The outlook is for very average temperatures, maxes of 5-7 degrees across the region, can't get more average for the time of year and consequently I can't see there being much action in this thread in the coming days.

How quickly the mood can change with a change in the conditions... This December so far has been very good for the NE in particular in terms of snowfall, on this side of the Pennines we have not been favoured by the synoptics, and uppers have been less cold being much more marginal conditions for snowfall.

Awaiting the next cold snowy installment..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Oh dear no posts in 2 days - thanks to the return of more average standard December weather fayre. Have to say it has been a remarkably quiet uneventful weekend weatherwise, average/slightly above average temps, a bit of rain/showers, very different to the last third december weekends of the last 3 years, all of which were wintry, last year less so than 2009, 2010, but on all three occasions snow fell.

The outlook is for very average temperatures, maxes of 5-7 degrees across the region, can't get more average for the time of year and consequently I can't see there being much action in this thread in the coming days.

How quickly the mood can change with a change in the conditions... This December so far has been very good for the NE in particular in terms of snowfall, on this side of the Pennines we have not been favoured by the synoptics, and uppers have been less cold being much more marginal conditions for snowfall.

Awaiting the next cold snowy installment..

friday lets hope it is..

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Well I was going to post earlier today to say the thermometer reading was 10ºC but felt much colder, I even hung my washing out at 9:30am hoping it would dry, but after nearly 7 hrs hanging it was still wet!!

Posted

Quite surprised to see a ground frost this morning.

Very misty and murky here now with a band of showers approaching from the South-west

Posted

Well I was going to post earlier today to say the thermometer reading was 10ºC but felt much colder, I even hung my washing out at 9:30am hoping it would dry, but after nearly 7 hrs hanging it was still wet!!

Mmhm 100% humidity, the most extreme symptom we can find in this spell of ordinary weather. Every time I got in the car today the screen was misted, had to pull over at one point as it wouldn't de-mist quick enough and I was blind practically rolleyes.gif Or that could just be my terrible damp car...

Posted

Mmhm 100% humidity, the most extreme symptom we can find in this spell of ordinary weather. Every time I got in the car today the screen was misted, had to pull over at one point as it wouldn't de-mist quick enough and I was blind practically rolleyes.gif Or that could just be my terrible damp car...

crack a window open.

Posted

crack a window open.

I think the whole car needs dryed out with a hairdryer or something, water has been leaking through the sunroof for weeks now after the seal i put on eventually failed. Renault Clio problems...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Some very heavy snow would be possible on high ground if the 12z GFS came off - I'm in Keswick this weekend so I'm obviously hoping for a repeat of February 1996!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Looks like the north east may get some snow between the 21st and 23rd hopefully!!! It will all be washed away before xmas though!! Still will make it feel festive!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The scatter begins as early as +24 on the ensembles - incredibly FI begins tomorrow evening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Very interesting. Drizzle/low cloud from the E/SE on Friday, potential light snow/sleet shrs on Saturday, especially over Northumberland and on high ground (Cheviots, North Pennines at times). Feel very bitter with temps at day around 1-2c on Saturday, with a breeze from the E and some wintry precip. Turning progressively, but slowly milder from Sunday onwards-

Christmas could be wet and windy from the W, shortwave ridden and downpours, cooler from the NW, cold and cloudy from the S or even a tad wintry from the SE, no chance of prediction from the volatile NWP (op and ens!)

Posted

I'll be in Newcastle from thursday eve through to Sunday and it would be nice to see a bit of snow even a temporary wet cover would be good, but away from high ground I doubt the uppers will be conducive to low level snow...

The last three weekends before christmas produced snow on my visits to Newcastle.. but the synoptics this year are very different.

I've not done as much walking in the fells as I normally do in recent weeks and therefore have yet to enjoy a proper winter walk in wintry conditions. I always look forward to such a walk inbetween christmas and new year and in many years, the Lake District has experienced at least one decent snowall on the fells during the festive week, there have been exceptions such as 2002, 2006 and 2007 which saw persistantly mild wet conditions and no snow whatsoever, but even a northerly or polar maritime blast would do.. as occured in 1999 and 2003, but I'd rather have a 2000, 2005 scenario, or a 2008, 2009 scenario, 2010 was a major dissapointment with the thaw setting in on the 28th just in time for my said winter walk..

Posted

Looks like a bleak wet run of days coming up for us, going to be spending minimal time looking out the window and getting wet on by the rain to keep up the Christmas spirit!

The weather just past Christmas looks undecided and could throw up a surprise or two from the north :)

Posted

Rain rain and more rain.

Currently 5.5c. I hate this type of weather.

mad.gif

Edited by DJovengloves

Posted

Mmm can't say I'm enthused by the outlook for the next week, hardly anything wintry to talk about, perhaps a bit of snow for the highest tops but nothing sustained, barely any frost, just lots of wind and rain with the odd brief drier spell - very poor winter walking conditions.

Mind we have been here before, last year was exactly the same, 2002, 2006 and 2007 were also quite similiar in nature, going further back 1994, 1997, 1998 were predominantly unsettled affairs.. the christmas week on average is an unsettled time of year very hard to see sustained spell of dry settled weather at this time of year, but we have been lucky in recent years 2008 and 2009 were good years in this respect and 2005 wasn't too bad.

Posted

clinging on to dear life for a snowflake at albermarle tomorrow. looks 50/50 as far as i can make out and prob won't happen till teatime IF it comes off. gonna be a long day :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

It's just cloud and drizzle. Bit mild, sometimes cool. Not much of note. Hopefully next week will provide some sunshine and warmth at the least, and afterwards we hope for a distinct pattern change. We'll have to put up with this atlantic dominated weather for at least another 2 weeks imo, so hopefully some high pressure ridging or a northerly toppler can provide some entertainment until the effects of the SSW are felt, and the synoptics change radically across the NH (whether that will be positive or not so is still to be seen).

Posted

Oh dear this thread has gone dead these past couple of weeks after the frenzy of activity early on this month - all down to the combination of lack of snow and cold and also festive period I imagine. Can't see much activity over the next week neither.. however, thought I'd take the opportunity to keep it alive in these quiet days by saying we managed a wintry scene this evening thanks to a heavy hail shower which covered everything white for about half an hour and for that half hour I pretended it was snow.. it was very nice all the same..indeed temps now are down to 3 degrees and it feels like a winters night unlike most since the 14th which was the last time we recorded a frost...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Mid month this place be back buzzing again with snow on the cards just believe! hope everyone had a great christmas :)