Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

well my first time on here today and this must rank as one of the great model letdowns lol!! I couldnt believe it when i checked the models. We went from a decent noreaster lasting for a few days to a brief 24hr window monday morning to tuesday morning!!! Unbelievable!! What do people think our region will get in that window? If we can put down a couple of inches then it wouldnt be a total disaster!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

What do people think our region will get in that window?

A pair of curtains. That are closed. rofl.gif

Posted

Wouldn't it be nice, just for one day, to be like those lucky every day folk who's only awareness of the weather upcoming is on itv1 with a pretty woman and a poor graphic of a cloud with a sun sticking out of it rolleyes.gif

Edited by Andy163

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Wouldn't it be nice, just for one day, to be like those lucky every day folk who's only awareness of the weather upcoming is on itv1 with a pretty woman and a poor graphic of a cloud with a sun sticking out of it rolleyes.gif

Aye but they're the very same folk who moan that 'the forecast was wrong' when they've no idea what the forecast was in the first place, or they half heard/saw a forecast for an area a long way from where they are.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

Aye but they're the very same folk who moan that 'the forecast was was wrong' when they've no idea what the forecast was in the first place, or they half heard/saw a forecast for an area a long way from where they are.

Haha yeah, sometimes ignorance is bliss though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Right what can we squeeze out of this calamity monday is our only chance really..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The cold weather is now certain to move further west from a bitter mainland eastern Europe over to the UK, later in the week we could have a battle with rain moving in from the west and as it meets the cold air snow is likely this could bring significant falls for some

The latest video from beeb on the European cold spell shows the cold air moving our way during next week

Heavy snow has caused disruption to parts of France, Austria and Switzerland, with more snow in the forecast in the days to come.

BBC Weather's Nina Ridge takes a look at the freezing weather setting in across Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...atures/20652854

Posted

The cold weather is now certain to move further west from a bitter mainland eastern Europe over to the UK, later in the week we could have a battle with rain moving in from the west and as it meets the cold air snow is likely this could bring significant falls for some

The latest video from beeb on the European cold spell shows the cold air moving our way during next week

Heavy snow has caused disruption to parts of France, Austria and Switzerland, with more snow in the forecast in the days to come.

BBC Weather's Nina Ridge takes a look at the freezing weather setting in across Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...atures/20652854

I'll be frank, I have no idea what the relevance of that is to this thread.

Posted

A cold frosty start with some early brightness gave way by lunchtime as forecast to cloud and drizzly rain - quite a miserable afternoon, dank and dull and lacklustre. Hope for some brightness later tomorrow after a gloomy wet start. I do hope for better weekends to come than this.. cold crisp sunny frosty snowy ones please - good for hill walking.

Looking at next week - high chance of further snow showers in NE England and later in the week perhaps a significant snowfall as the atlantic moves in against the cold block, our region often does very well in such set ups especially if we see winds from the SE, but a snowfall which you know is going to turn to rain is never as good as a snowfall which you know is going to stick on the ground for some time.. rain to snow events are the best..

Posted

A cold frosty start with some early brightness gave way by lunchtime as forecast to cloud and drizzly rain - quite a miserable afternoon, dank and dull and lacklustre. Hope for some brightness later tomorrow after a gloomy wet start. I do hope for better weekends to come than this.. cold crisp sunny frosty snowy ones please - good for hill walking.

Looking at next week - high chance of further snow showers in NE England and later in the week perhaps a significant snowfall as the atlantic moves in against the cold block, our region often does very well in such set ups especially if we see winds from the SE, but a snowfall which you know is going to turn to rain is never as good as a snowfall which you know is going to stick on the ground for some time.. rain to snow events are the best..

I know what you are saying I would far rather have a cold and frosty high than snow to rain as it is so depressing!! Any way onwards and upwards in our search for the next cold spell

Posted

Almost balmy out there at the minute, a strong mild wind gusting and the well scattered clouds racing by overhead. The car thermometer reads 8c which for December is really quite pleasant at 23:30.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Much milder than recent nights over the last few days @ 8.4c, it is pretty windy so it still feels chilly.

Posted

The wind has died down a llittle now but i wasn't expecting such a breezy evening to be honest.

Here's hoping that we get some snow showers early next week!!

Posted

Showers should start affecting North East coastal areas later this afternoon and more especially

into the evening as the wind switches round more to the North,and will become increasingly

wintry as the night goes on as colder upper air and lower dew points spread down.

Good chance of a dusting of snow on higher ground by Monday morning.

Posted

The Countryfile forecast has snow showers from Monday through to Thursday for us here in the North East.

Be interesting to see just how many we do get.

Back to the here and now and that wind is biting today. 8c feels more like 0c.

Posted

The Countryfile forecast has snow showers from Monday through to Thursday for us here in the North East.

Be interesting to see just how many we do get.

Back to the here and now and that wind is biting today. 8c feels more like 0c.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if we didn't get at least one half decent day out of this cold spell, word in the model output discussion thread is that FI is at 72 hours, so a great deal of uncertainty still around about the end of next week. Looking a bit closer Monday looks a bit too mild for my location, but could be better for members further inland, after that it would be cold enough for my area and further inland areas but whether we will get the precipitation is another story.

But that country file forecast looks promising with the showers hanging around all week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

After a horrible wet day in Keswick yesterday today has been much nicer. The models haven't actually changed much since the middle of last week - the NE'ly at the start of this week has been downgraded to high pressure, which has a huge effect on our snow chances, but the larger picture hasn't changed that much. The breakdown at the end of the week is subject to change, and I'd hazard a guess at another attempted easterly if the models are overdoing the low pressure and it undercuts.

I doubt the NE will see much snow this week, but the overall pattern remains cold and I'd be surprised if we didn't see another attempted or successful easterly, northerly etc this month. It's not as though this was going to be a quick shot at an easterly in an otherwise mild winter as the overall pattern is still a cold one in my opinion.

Well that's my positive spin on things anyway. Time to head back to Newcastle.

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

BBC weather for the week ahead W/C 9/12/12 a fair amount of snow around for us in the NE who knows what will happen later in the week its very uncertain at the moment

Posted

A lot of uncertainty after thursday in that forecast, i still just think milder air will win out as we are running out of time for further upgrades now!!

Also looks quite dry for us as well heres hoping for a couple of centimetres and some freezing fog to make it stick

Posted

The METO are quite bullish about milder air winning through with relative ease to be honest, and despite what the folk on the MO Thread are saying this simply cannot be ignored.

Just quite unbelievable how the models have got this horrificly wrong and we've managed to go from a prolonged big freeze to a few days of predominantly dry and cold weather. Mind you, the rampers who try to second guess what the models are going to show beyond the realistic timeframe not only confuse the issue, but also make themselves look like right bufoons in the process.

Woeful.

Posted

Still 6c out there, so there will have to be some serious drop in temperature for any showers that do come along to be of a wintry nature tonight.

The wind is very cold though.