Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Thread

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yes, I wonder it there would so much elation if it was NW being shown.bomb.gif

No just screams of one for the bin and it's not gonna verify and to be honest they would probably end up being right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The GEM. LOL!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

The GEM. LOL!

Better than the stupid GFS LOLblum.gif

C.S

Posted

Oh dear another day with no sunshine - we were plagued by mist all day after early fog, temps maxing out at 3 degrees our coldest day for about 4 weeks, and it was nice to see our first frost since the 14th as well. Tonight looks like freezing fog could quickly develop, temps will be lower and tomorrow will probably be another day with no sunshine.

Talking about the BBC NW forecasts, I do like Diane, but this evening she looked as if she wanted to leave the country for a long holiday to get away from the imminent forecast, her opening words were there is no good news in this forecast... I think there is and that is no real rainfall to talk about which given the sodden state of the ground is a very good thing indeed. Mild at this time of year usually means wet... I sometimes don't understand her logic.. I think many will take a cold dry and hopefully sunny spell than a dull wet spell given what we have endured in recent weeks.

Expect more downbeat forecasts from Diane in the days and possibly weeks to come...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Wow nice GEM, plenty of Snow on those charts for us and many others. What's the purple lines on its PPN chart ? Blizzard conditions ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

GFS 18z not very good at all

C.S

Posted

Well it's all doom and gloom again in the mods! Oh dear

Posted

I suspect the 18z spells the beginning of the end for this latest attempt, I'm sorry but just can't envisage any other scenario at this moment in time.

p.s You can all feel free to rip me apart as much as you like later on if I turn out to be wrong lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I suspect the 18z spells the beginning of the end for this latest attempt, I'm sorry but just can't envisage any other scenario at this moment in time.

p.s You can all feel free to rip me apart as much as you like later on if I turn out to be wrong lol

I'll be ripping the GFS apart more if it's wrong so don't worry rofl.gif

Posted

Wow nice GEM, plenty of Snow on those charts for us and many others. What's the purple lines on its PPN chart ? Blizzard conditions ?

The GEM has been sticking to it's guns now for several days with that scenario, while initially the GFS was pretty much saying the same thing, but now it's backed out of that scenario.

We have been here a number of times before with the GFS, and it's gotten it wrong on a lot of occasions for our region, local variations.

I am not sure how reliable the GEM is, but for what it's worth, it seems we are going to need to rely on it for this weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

This mornings tv forecasts don't look too inspiring for the region but hardly a downgrade as there was never any real prospect of a decent event here.

There is a chance of the more southern parts (Cheshire) seeing a bit of snow on Saturday but I would say that anywhere north of Manchester will stay dry.

Obviously I would love to be proved wrong with this as I am currently looking to be bone dry but TBH the is more chance of a southerly correction to the system than a northerly one,something which usually ends up being the case anyway.

Model thread is on suicide watch again this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

I found this weather headline and it says: ' Snow is predicted for the South and North East on Saturday night, with most places getting a blanketing through next week. The big freeze is set to last about three weeks, with up to four inches of snow expected in the next seven days.

http://www.mirror.co...subzero-1527009

another one says: All parts of Britain could be blanketed in snow this weekend, as a rare weather event sweeps the country leaving temperatures as low as -15C.

http://www.independe...nd-8442886.html

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

Yes a bit fed up as this region was at 85% snow risk for sat/sun now showing 34% just for sat bleh

Posted

Northeasterlies are generally dry-affairs for us in the NW, unless a rogue shower or two makes it across the Pennines the only hope we can fall on is that the North Sea SSTs are high enough to sustain a snow-trail in across from the Humber which buys the Pennines some extra 20 to 30-miles of additional moisture enhancement. Its a sore sight however to be standing on Shining Tor watching the tops of shower clouds dissipating out across Sheffield.

Posted

Model thread is on suicide watch again this morning.

This is exactly why I've made the regionals my very first port of call today, is there any semblance of hope from the ensembles at all?

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted

Yep like most winters I can see every other region getting snow. It's a really poor region for snow, oh for something off the irish sea.

In all fairness I've been following the forecasting thread and it doesn't look half as promising to me as some seem to think, just looks like a typically winter setup to me. I guess after such a mild spell anything is welcome.

Posted

The UK as a whole will not see snow, so what's with the claim it will? ramping much.

North Easterlies and Easterlies very rarely produce anything this side of the pennines, and that is why we don't want the cold from these directions, all they do is provide cold and dry conditions nothing else, so if your looking for snow, this is what we don't want unless we end up with an arctic low sitting in the irish sea to give us the precipitation.

What we want is a variation of NNW, with Irish sea streamers, and blocking further west. Neither is going to happen this weekend, nor into next week

either.

Think the bizarre and retarded claim the UK goes into the freezer..is quite frankly laughable...go to Scandinavia to experience what a freezer feels like lol

Any snow will very likely be reserved for the high routes of the pennines.

any precip here and it's going to be rain unless something major occurs in the next 24/36 hours which it wont, so in other words nothing happening here.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Northeasterlies are generally dry-affairs for us in the NW, unless a rogue shower or two makes it across the Pennines the only hope we can fall on is that the North Sea SSTs are high enough to sustain a snow-trail in across from the Humber which buys the Pennines some extra 20 to 30-miles of additional moisture enhancement. Its a sore sight however to be standing on Shining Tor watching the tops of shower clouds dissipating out across Sheffield.

unless you happen to live on east side of the pennines, it wouldn't matter, because snow simply won't make it over.

Posted

Well surprising for the NW but next weeks snow seems to have vanished for our region, I suggest we all avoid the news in the next week if we wish to keep our sanity. help.gif

Posted

The % chances of snow have increased again for my area lol believe it when i see it..