thursday night

a north-north easterly wind and gusty

feeling very cold

see another -10 here

looks dry

gonna post the others shortly as a little complicated

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

Wind Direction looks fantastic through tonight and tomorrow..

Daniel, does that include Rainham, Kent, tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

*cough* We don't know where it's going to fall, so got 5 year olds to spray paint on the screen *cough*

biggrin.png

HAHA I like the fact that's only Friday also so plenty of time into Saturday for that all to move to us

Posted

Still have some of that snow from last night on the grass, had to look out of the windows at 2am

was glorious filled up the trees and everything. I'm guessing it must of been slightly wet as it did seem to melt quite quick. Seemed to get colder as teh day went on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Wind Direction looks fantastic through tonight and tomorrow..

Daniel, does that include Rainham, Kent, tomorrow?

Given the direction I'd say so.. though I'm not the best with specific convective potential, pressure might be a tad high keeping things more stable?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yeah, if this does turn out to be a cold spell like that I can safely say I've never experienced once. That's probably why I hate frontal snow if i'm honest, I've never seen it deliver anything other than snow > rain, whereas convective showers have often delivered more in recent years!

A fascinating week or two coming up, either way!

Brilliant post and spot on. I would gladly forsake snow this weekend to prolong the cold with a shot at a decent easterly......1987 anyone!!!

Quite agree. I remember the big snowstorms of the 80s well, it was usually below freezing day and night for a few days beforehand, ground frozen rock solid, ice inside windows etc. I'd rather see this low head further SE and allow the really cold air to move in from the NE ready for the next low :) Snow turning to rain has to be my biggest weather pet hate! Saying that daytime maxima are progged to be at 0C or below from Thu...good stuff :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

and me (shhhh)

Was talking to my Dad this evening about 78/79 in Bristol when I was 13 and being asked by my late mother to go into the garden one dark evening with a torch and take the washing in, and (as she knew) finding it was all frozen hard. And ice on the inside of bedroom windows in the morning due to the heating being run off the Parkray fire which was only lit in the day. Paraffin heaters everywhere and, significantly, stalling fronts up against cold blocks.....

AS

I remember all of this, I grew up in the Peak District and some of those seventies/eighties were very chilly without any central heating.

Streams of ice on the inside of my loft bedroom window and the whole thing frozen shut, school closing for days on end and, yes, washing that could stand up on its own!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

For me Jan 87 has the most vivid memories. Best convective snow I've ever seen with us getting hit by shower after shower with snow piling up rapidly. Also remember many feet high drifts along the A27 near Glynde which I've never seen since. I may be wrong but I'm sure I was off school for the best part of a week and in those days schools rarely if ever shut for snow.

Coming back to the present, would be great to get a good fall Friday/Saturday but I personally want to see the cold prolonged so if it means our block stops the front from getting to us then so be it as I'd rather that than a rapid snow to rain event.

Anyone see GFS FI? Serious cold coming at the end of the month if that verifies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

Given the direction I'd say so.. though I'm not the best with specific convective potential, pressure might be a tad high keeping things more stable?

Im happy believing my neighbour...... but this does mean another night of jumping out of bed everytime I turn over to see if its snowing, omg so knackard, but having fun, ha ha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

According to the radar the shower is almost on my doorstep (I will go and actually look shortly but it's warm on the sofa under a blanket with the directors cut of The Abyss on biggrin.png )

Anyone from Dover or Deal way with an update?

all white here but snow stopped for now

Posted

I remember having amazing ice patterns on the inside of my bedroom window back then, and getting out of bed for school was like walking into a freezer!!

If, and its a big IF, we get a cold spell like that, anyone under 30 is going to be in for a serious shock at just how extreme it can be in the UK sometimes for cold and snow.

I thought that 09 and 10 were bad lol ill be in for a shock!!!!

Ps. Great result for Bolton tonight

Posted

UPGRADE !!!!!

Bbc mr Hammond showed front moving in on Friday morning to western parts turning to snow !

Then showed specked snow across everywhere by Friday night and then said snow will move east over uk saturday

Posted

all white here but snow stopped for now

All good, looks like more heading your way too. I think it snowed on you then Dover then into the Channel. A few flurries here so I'm happy.

Posted

Thanks for the memories tonight from you veterans of 70s/80s winters. I am going to leave a window or 2 open to recreate the cold feel, engineer a power cut, get some candles on the go and stick some Blondie on my battery operated cassette player whilst I wait for the coalmen to deliver the winter supplies and walk them through the house to the coalshed across the newspaper that now covers the hallway.

Good night all

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

All good, looks like more heading your way too. I think it snowed on you then Dover then into the Channel. A few flurries here so I'm happy.

I'm sure you will get a small covering by the end of the night ;)

Posted

PPVK89.gif?31415friday

very cold 1-2 degrees

will be a massive windchill as a bittery cold and strong north north easterly

looks dry

Edited by john pike

Posted

If them wind charts are correct I should hopefully get some streamers coming my way lol

Edited by Tom Jarvis