IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Siberian
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level

and me (shhhh)

Was talking to my Dad this evening about 78/79 in Bristol when I was 13 and being asked by my late mother to go into the garden one dark evening with a torch and take the washing in, and (as she knew) finding it was all frozen hard. And ice on the inside of bedroom windows in the morning due to the heating being run off the Parkray fire which was only lit in the day. Paraffin heaters everywhere and, significantly, stalling fronts up against cold blocks.....

AS

Indeed, we had seventeen westerly / southerly days between Dec 21st and March 21st. The cold lingered on sporadically into April and probably did as much as the Unions in bringing down "Sunny" Jim Callaghan's Labour government. Another good reason for loving the cold weather good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

I understand your frustration Matt but banging on about it aint going to change the weather. Nature does what nature wants. Its doesn't single you out personally. There has been some impressive snowfall in Norfolk today, so sometimes you need to look a little further afield.Cheer up fella.

That said I might just jump in the car and head towards the potential snowfields of East Kent tomorrow.

Think we may all have ski resorts on our doorstep soon! help.gif

Posted

The bbc forecast tonight had the summery snow to rain but the only rain on the graphics was the far SW.Im sure even if there models were showing the low running to the south of the uk undercutting pulling SE winds,i would of thought they will play it safe and play out snow/rain scenario for awhile untill 100% sure

Posted

-2.9 at Reigate Grammar School currently... (How does that compare with yours AS?)

I was expecting lots of happy campers when I came into this thread... What is the wingeing all about? It's pretty damn cold across our region at the moment and will be for the foreseeable... I think we would be extremely unlucky not to get snow in the next few days...

Remember, as we have entrenched cold air and bitter southeasterlies from the continent by Friday / Saturday, it doesn't need to be 528 dam or -5 air... It will happily snow in this situation at 534 and -2 air...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

I think what a lot of people in here have got to realise it and Darren (Kold) touched upon it earlier this evening, these are NOT your normal synoptics, unless you were born Pre 1982 you probably will not remember these types of cold spells, yes in those days the blocks were so huge the Atlantic took 3 maybe even 4 attempts to get through but when it did end it was an almighty snowstorm, so what if the block holds firm this weekend, who cares and what would be the pay off, pretty decent if you ask me.

If that low undercuts, and then heads off east through France it will drag in an Easterly or East North Easterly, so there is your pay off.

Please have a look at the archived charts from winter 1979, 1982 and others throughout the 1980's and you will see how these Synoptic Set Ups played out!

Brilliant post and spot on. I would gladly forsake snow this weekend to prolong the cold with a shot at a decent easterly......1987 anyone!!!

Posted

The bbc forecast tonight had the summery snow to rain but the only rain on the graphics was the far SW.Im sure even if there models were showing the low running to the south of the uk undercutting pulling SE winds,i would of thought they will play it safe and play out snow/rain scenario for awhile untill 100% sure

I'm not sure the BBC would be forecasting off the latest data. They always seem to be a few hours behind the Met Office.

Edited by manutdmatt1986

Posted

-2.9 at Reigate Grammar School currently... (How does that compare with yours AS?)

I was expecting lots of happy campers when I came into this thread... What is the wingeing all about? It's pretty damn cold across our region at the moment and will be for the foreseeable... I think we would be extremely unlucky not to get snow in the next few days...

Remember, as we have entrenched cold air and bitter southeasterlies from the continent by Friday / Saturday, it doesn't need to be 528 dam or -5 air... It will happily snow in this situation at 534 and -2 air...

Hello GP

Since moving the sensor to the bottom of the garden away from the house (only 10/15 meters) the readings have been lower. Currently showing -3.5c. If the sun comes out I will have to move it again but happy to leave it where it is for now!

Agree with all you say in your post.

AS

Posted

I understand your frustration Matt but banging on about it aint going to change the weather. Nature does what nature wants. Its doesn't single you out personally. There has been some impressive snowfall in Norfolk today, so sometimes you need to look a little further afield.Cheer up fella.

That said I might just jump in the car and head towards the potential snowfields of East Kent tomorrow.

I remember having amazing ice patterns on the inside of my bedroom window back then, and getting out of bed for school was like walking into a freezer!!

If, and its a big IF, we get a cold spell like that, anyone under 30 is going to be in for a serious shock at just how extreme it can be in the UK sometimes for cold and snow.

Posted

According to the radar the shower is almost on my doorstep (I will go and actually look shortly but it's warm on the sofa under a blanket with the directors cut of The Abyss on :D )

Anyone from Dover or Deal way with an update?

Posted

Any of yesterday's snow left? I've got family not far from you and I'm originally from Harrow (Hatch End).

light dusting on cars and grass

Posted

Ok I am very new to this the way I understand you are saying this will pull easterlies meaning the cold snap continues after Sunday but the snow would come in eventually by the east, meaning the band of snow we are looking at coming in on fri/sat would not happen? The Atlantic weather would be kept out and pushed back west?

Yes. Some of us would rather have that - remember that snow from a Westerly is highly risky, it will readily turn to rain if the Atlantic incurs. There are ways of getting a snow only event from it (or at least almost all snow) if the Eastern Block fights back and you are in the sweet spot. But it can be wet cloyey snow. And it is very risky. These battlegrounds were commonplace in the 1980s for us old gets! I'd rather hold the cold and take the dry powder snow off an Easterly wind.

Edited by Downpour

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Posted

I remember having amazing ice patterns on the inside of my bedroom window back then, and getting out of bed for school was like walking into a freezer!!

If, and its a big IF, we get a cold spell like that, anyone under 30 is going to be in for a serious shock at just how extreme it can be in the UK sometimes for cold and snow.

Yep...ice patterns on the inside were the norm! I remember the winter my nan got an electric blanket...my brother I would behave so well all week just so we could go and sleep over at hers at the weekend and get into the warm bed! Not a water bottle in sight when that baby was on!

Posted

Hello GP

Since moving the sensor to the bottom of the garden away from the house (only 10/15 meters) the readings have been lower. Currently showing -3.5c. If the sun comes out I will have to move it again but happy to leave it where it is for now!

Agree with all you say in your post.

AS

That sounds a lot more like it... I got back from a Tesco run (sigh!) at about 9.30 and the car was already showing -2.5c!

Posted

December 2010 was pretty extreme. The best month of weather I have ever experienced! We had the most snow and coldest temperatures I have ever experienced. That cold spell was truly exceptional and doubt I'll ever see the likes of it again. Snow wasn't marginal, it was guaranteed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

IMAG0448_zpsdde66cbd.jpg

Just a little more East please.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

and me (shhhh)

Was talking to my Dad this evening about 78/79 in Bristol when I was 13 and being asked by my late mother to go into the garden one dark evening with a torch and take the washing in, and (as she knew) finding it was all frozen hard. And ice on the inside of bedroom windows in the morning due to the heating being run off the Parkray fire which was only lit in the day. Paraffin heaters everywhere and, significantly, stalling fronts up against cold blocks.....

AS

Sounds just like the inside of our house in the late 70s early 80s, Thanet had proper snow then.

Posted

Yep...ice patterns on the inside were the norm! I remember the winter my nan got an electric blanket...my brother I would behave so well all week just so we could go and sleep over at hers at the weekend and get into the warm bed! Not a water bottle in sight when that baby was on!

I got properly told off for pulling the net curtains off the ice on the bedroom windows and them ripping! Never liked net curtains at the time or since, so poetic justice was at play.

I am tempted to go and buy a paraffin heater just for old times' sake - the purple highly flammable liquid, the intoxicating (ie toxic) aroma, the inherent fire risk..... show the kids what we had to go through!

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Wind Direction looks fantastic through tonight and tomorrow..

You're not wrong, looks to be about right for a Thames Streamer (probably benefiting you chaps south of the water more than us 'northerners' I would have thought!). Where's Paul Sherman when you need him?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

IMAG0448_zpsdde66cbd.jpg

*cough* We don't know where it's going to fall, so got 5 year olds to spray paint on the screen *cough*

:D

Posted

Ian F was mentioning on Twitter a moment ago that they think front will be more progressive. Ok so the far eastern regions might not care, but this could be of interest to those in western parts of region.