Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Which he continually repeats over and over like a broken record. When will folk realise and accept that we are a tiny island with a temperate maritime climate ? Thems the facts. Our weather will invariably be borderline, once you accept that, happiness awaits hi.gif

It's the fact this cold spell keeps seeming to offer so much only for me to just miss out whilst other areas have seen snow. I wouldn't mind so much if there wasn't any prospect of snow or anything to get my hopes up only for them to be dashed!

Posted

I think what a lot of people in here have got to realise it and Darren (Kold) touched upon it earlier this evening, these are NOT your normal synoptics, unless you were born Pre 1982 you probably will not remember these types of cold spells, yes in those days the blocks were so huge the Atlantic took 3 maybe even 4 attempts to get through but when it did end it was an almighty snowstorm, so what if the block holds firm this weekend, who cares and what would be the pay off, pretty decent if you ask me.

If that low undercuts, and then heads off east through France it will drag in an Easterly or East North Easterly, so there is your pay off.

Please have a look at the archived charts from winter 1979, 1982 and others throughout the 1980's and you will see how these Synoptic Set Ups played out!

Posted

When will folk realise and accept that we are a tiny island with a temperate maritime climate ? Thems the facts. Our weather will invariably be borderline, once you accept that, happiness awaits hi.gif

Thank you BB, nicely put. Could be fun and games ahead or could be nothing. The fact that we are kept guessing is, to me, all part of the thrill!

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

It's the fact this cold spell keeps seeming to offer so much only for me to just miss out whilst other areas have seen snow. I wouldn't mind so much if there wasn't any prospect of snow or anything to get my hopes up only for them to be dashed!

dont worry mate

It can be frustrating I know

But with what the models are showing at the moment

We are bound to get something soon

Look at the Kent streamer trying to set up now for example

Only takes something small at short notice to change things

Exciting times mate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

You mean the snow that fell whilst I was asleep and didn't settle? Brilliant.

Prob too low in Rochester then because up in Lordswood and Maidstone it settled.

Posted

I think what a lot of people in here have got to realise it and Darren (Kold) touched upon it earlier this evening, these are NOT your normal synoptics, unless you were born Pre 1982 you probably will not remember these types of cold spells, yes in those days the blocks were so huge the Atlantic took 3 maybe even 4 attempts to get through but when it did end it was an almighty snowstorm, so what if the block holds firm this weekend, who cares and what would be the pay off, pretty decent if you ask me.

If that low undercuts, and then heads off east through France it will drag in an Easterly or East North Easterly, so there is your pay off.

Please have a look at the archived charts from winter 1979, 1982 and others throughout the 1980's and you will see how these Synoptic Set Ups played out!

hi paul

early yet but i see it at present as an undercut with the low heading south

as you then say this will pull in proper easterlies

i have one word for everyone

patience

Posted

Well said and your first paragraph holds the key - I wonder how many members looking at this thread actually remember proper winters?

(whispers....yes, I do :) )

Edited by lottiekent

Posted

dont worry mate

It can be frustrating I know

But with what the models are showing at the moment

We are bound to get something soon

Look at the Kent streamer trying to set up now for example

Only takes something small at short notice to change things

Exciting times mate

I think North West Kent (Rochester etc) only really gets snow showers coming in off the North Sea in an easterly. In a North Easterly we're normally shielded by East Anglia so I would expect any snow showers over the next few days to be over Eastern Kent which is more exposed.

Posted

Bang on. Snowy breakdown or continuation of the cold. Either way the snow will come. Eventually...

Posted

I think North West Kent (Rochester etc) only really gets snow showers coming in off the North Sea in an easterly. In a North Easterly we're normally shielded by East Anglia so I would expect any snow showers over the next few days to be over Eastern Kent which is more exposed.

you have missed my point totally

Not saying that

I'm saying anything can crop up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

hi paul

early yet but i see it at present as an undercut with the low heading south

as you then say this will pull in proper easterlies

i have one word for everyone

patience

Ok I am very new to this the way I understand you are saying this will pull easterlies meaning the cold snap continues after Sunday but the snow would come in eventually by the east, meaning the band of snow we are looking at coming in on fri/sat would not happen? The Atlantic weather would be kept out and pushed back west?

Posted

Ok I am very new to this the way I understand you are saying this will pull easterlies meaning the cold snap continues after Sunday but the snow would come in eventually by the east, meaning the band of snow we are looking at coming in on fri/sat would not happen? The Atlantic weather would be kept out and pushed back west?

yeah much better potentially in the long run

Posted

Prob too low in Rochester then because up in Lordswood and Maidstone it settled.

Was watching murry match on tv, went outside to a blizzard at 1am, was pelting it down, managed two cm it eased off and melted.....

Hopefully we shall have more chances over coming weeks and days, maybe tomorrow....

Posted

hi

what we want to see is an undecut

this will let the atlantic get through but not

move our cold air to the east

the tricky bit is where the undercut happens

and the main precipitation will be

difficult call that one for anyone to call

Posted

Well said and your first paragraph holds the key - I wonder how many members looking at this thread actually remember proper winters?

(whispers....yes, I do smile.png )

and me (shhhh)

Was talking to my Dad this evening about 78/79 in Bristol when I was 13 and being asked by my late mother to go into the garden one dark evening with a torch and take the washing in, and (as she knew) finding it was all frozen hard. And ice on the inside of bedroom windows in the morning due to the heating being run off the Parkray fire which was only lit in the day. Paraffin heaters everywhere and, significantly, stalling fronts up against cold blocks.....

AS

Posted

I understand your frustration Matt but banging on about it aint going to change the weather. Nature does what nature wants. Its doesn't single you out personally. There has been some impressive snowfall in Norfolk today, so sometimes you need to look a little further afield.Cheer up fella.

That said I might just jump in the car and head towards the potential snowfields of East Kent tomorrow.

Posted

(whispers....yes, I do smile.png )

never ask a lady her age rofl.gif

nowt wrong with guessing though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Yeah, if this does turn out to be a cold spell like that I can safely say I've never experienced once. That's probably why I hate frontal snow if i'm honest, I've never seen it deliver anything other than snow > rain, whereas convective showers have often delivered more in recent years!

A fascinating week or two coming up, either way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

If anyone ever thought that after earlier outputs it was all gonna be positive from here on in then they need there head tested, there will be plenty of swings and roundabouts to go yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

hi

what we want to see is an undecut

this will let the atlantic get through but not

move our cold air to the east

the tricky bit is where the undercut happens

and the main precipitation will be

difficult call that one for anyone to call

Thanks I have no chance ! I am very new to this, thanks for the help, also I would like to buy a weather station, never had one before and don't have a clue what one, where from, cost etc , can anyone advise