Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 16th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Why do the Meto keep mentioning breakdown and rain, such party poopers :-(

The 5 day for South London currently shows light snow from Fri to Sun for London but am sure that will change every few hours.

That's my main concern, a slushfest. Hopefully not!! We need to keep those daytime temps at or below freezing.

Posted

A few shots from today's snow drinks.gif

Some lovely shots there, frosty. I see you use a 5D MkII. I upgraded my trusty 5D to one of those last summer - great camera. Is the the 24-105mm lens you used with it? I used to only use prime lenses with my pre-digital T90s, but switched to zooms as the quality improved and that is my stock lens now. With some others, of course.

Posted

Live Broadcast with Philip Avery on BBC news channel just now:

Really ramping it up for the West Midlands, northern England and Scotland on Friday.

Yes we had snow graphics on the SE but nothing compared to further west. :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Really ramping it up for the West Midlands, northern England and Scotland on Friday.

Yes but the front is moving in from the west, so it will affect those areas first. Not due to really reach the SE till evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

hi surrey

i was just looking at that, imby met office website shows snow starting midday friday and not finishing until 6am sunday!

WOW

Posted

The most interesting thing about the Met Office's warning is the impact matrix, which shows probability in the lowest section and impact in the highest, hence the Yellow Warning. That would indicate that, if the probability increases, we could end up with an upgrade to a full Red Warning in due course.

Posted

Yes but the front is moving in from the west, so it will affect those areas first. Not due to really reach the SE till evening.

Hmmm Im going to reserve excitement until tomorrow evening.

Latest models suggest the West Midlands could get a red warning come tomorrow, definetely the sweet spot for high snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

At this stage the Meto's full focus will be the SW and the fact they dont know how quick it'll turn to rain, turns to rain at night when the roads will become an ice rink so that'll be the focus, once they nail that set up the warnings will shuffle on East, Midlands first then us.

Our warning colour should change by this time tomorrow latest and we will get a longer snowfall event imvho.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

Hi Everyone

My concern is Friday in London (and then Monday if there is no slushfest) If snow is heavy on friday afternoon then there is every chance that the train network will break down and people will be stuck in the city not able to get home - that equals real chaos (as has happened before). Similarly if there is no slushfest it is unlikely trains will work on Monday as many track points will still be frozen / snowed over...

If there is an upgrade to amber for friday for London then I certainly will not be going to work as a precaution - I appreciate many people do not have that luxury but it is something to keep in mind as we get closer to the time.

"The public should be aware of the risk of significant travel disruption affecting

the west in the morning and the east in the afternoon. This warning is likely to

be updated over the next couple of days."

Edited by Buzzit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Ok it's now looking to me like the snow event starts in the daytime on Friday, I did have this starting in the evening but never mind, does anyone have at hand the uppers and dew points for Friday day?

I just hope the main part of this event is not wasted before the temps drop at night, but if it does go all the way through Saturday I won't complain LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Hi Everyone

My concern is Friday in London (and then Monday if there is no slushfest) If snow is heavy on friday afternoon then there is every chance that the train network will break down and people will be stuck in the city not able to get home - that equals real chaos (as has happened before). Similarly if there is no slushfest it is unlikely trains will work on Monday as many track points will still be frozen / snowed over...

If there is an upgrade to amber for friday for London then I certainly will not be going to work as a precaution - I appreciate many people do not have that luxury but it is something to keep in mind as we get closer to the time.

Could you not just leave work earlier on the Friday.

That is what will probably happen in our office IF it snows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Some lovely shots there, frosty. I see you use a 5D MkII. I upgraded my trusty 5D to one of those last summer - great camera. Is the the 24-105mm lens you used with it? I used to only use prime lenses with my pre-digital T90s, but switched to zooms as the quality improved and that is my stock lens now. With some others, of course.

Hi I have 2 5D Mii's & love them I mainly use the 50mm 1.2 70-200 2.8 & 27-70 2.8 But my favourite is the 70-200 by far

Posted

In terms of workers yes but would still think they would be worried about Sporting events, events in general and Tourists? Although I would of thought most sporting events would be cancelled by that point tbh.

Add to that the Airports like Heathrow.

London is the link to many places here and across Europe therefore weekends are still generally very busy indeed.

Agreed- but we a talking a fraction of the disruption. Last year's big fall in Feb caused minimal stress as it fell on a Saturday.

Posted

Ok it's now looking to me like the snow event starts in the daytime on Friday, I did have this starting in the evening but never mind, does anyone have at hand the uppers and dew points for Friday day?

I just hope the main part of this event is not wasted before the temps drop at night, but if it does go all the way through Saturday I won't complain LOL

Trust me it will be cold enough.

Uppers are around -7c and the dew is well below freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

My friend who is having an interview in Dartford just phoned me up to say there was a ten minute snow shower fairly heavy a short time ago?! I'm at work in London

Posted

Agreed- but we a talking a fraction of the disruption. Last year's big fall in Feb caused minimal stress as it fell on a Saturday.

But Central London did not really have much snow last Feb.

If this is like a prolonged version of feb 2009 then it could be interesting!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Had some Snow off and on this morning in Manston. Not settled though. Temperature just above freezing and the wind from the NW.

Thats local winds, the steering winds are north/north east :)

Posted

Hi Dexter

I am interested to know why you are so downbeat about the SE Compared to the rest of the country, how do you see this LP Behaving (eg how are you seeing this play out) it sounds like you might be expecting the LP To stall and fizzle out to the west, any reasons for this.

Not a gripe or a go at you just wanted to see what your thoughts were on where that LP Ultimately ends up as quite a few of us are expecting it to track fiirst SE And then Eastwards into Europe and hence sustaining the cold and bringing back the cold from the continent next week. I am getting the feeling we could be in for a possible easterly or North Easterly next week if things go to plan and this is what GP's thoughts might have been in that huuge rampede earlier in the Model Thread

Posted

But Central London did not really have much snow last Feb.

If this is like a prolonged version of feb 2009 then it could be interesting!

Very true but the suburbs got panned. Ealing has about 10cm and was on the Observer front page the next morning

Posted

Temperature dropping again here now, got up to -0.5C but now back down in the last hour to -1.2C the fog has returned as well. Seems those cold uppers really digging in now. Going to be seriously cold tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Still misty here, but the sun is trying to break though now. Still feels bitter outside, and we still have frost on the grass, and in more sheltered places.