Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 17th Januray 2013, 12z Onwards

Brad lough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Guys this is already a fair event for me , snowing with biggish flakes , and a good centimetre just over , it's mad , the bbc weather has also caught up and now shows snow over England this evening up until about 1am so I have a feeling I could have a good inch or even more , before the event, il try an take pictures but I have no street lights in my village , I'm in a beautifull village and I feel like I'm on a holiday about the be snowed in !!

just got back from your neck of the woods (I've been to Broadway, Stow & Northleach) and plenty of snow up on the Wolds, patchy snow on the Fosse Way, and some of the country lanes are already quite tricky, goodness knows what they'll be like this time tomorrow. Snowing lightly back here in Lyneham, nice but nowhere near as heavy as the Wolds though

Posted

Anyone else having problems with the met office site? I can't seem to view the amber warning (valid for my area) as it just shows the red warning, or the yellow warning?

Most likely scenario will be a snow to rain event for you region it seems, as you are quite far west. But then again, you're inland so could just be snow for the whole event!

Either way, good luck!

SM

Thank you again SnowMania :) very helpful :) well, as I posted a minute or so ago, the latest BBC forecast has settled me a bit, as they were showing snow to rain this morning; but the latest forecast shows an all snow event! :D

Posted

Can someone tell me why, if snow is forecast even for southern coastal areas (with the next band of precipitation from the SW) why it has been raining for ages here in Lymington? I mean, if this generating band is rain, how will the next onslaught from the SW be snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear Skies

Anyone else having problems with the met office site? I can't seem to view the amber warning (valid for my area) as it just shows the red warning, or the yellow warning?

The meto site has never been fast since their "upgrade" and now it is really suffering under the load - very slow to load.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Can someone tell me why, if snow is forecast even for southern coastal areas (with the next band of precipitation from the SW) why it has been raining for ages here in Lymington? I mean, if this generating band is rain, how will the next onslaught from the SW be snow?

The next band has higher ppn intensity bringing freezing level down and it will be drawing cold dry air off the continent on a south east wind. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Settled now on cars and grass now all covered over, a few pics took a few minutes back..

Guys Iv just been walking round the village with my torch in one hand , my iPad in another , and my dressing gown hahahaha , I think the neighbours have called the old bill !!!

I took pics but shocking quality , but it's more then double than yours , and the radar continues to pep up, unbelievable.

Posted

The meto site has never been fast since their "upgrade" and now it is really suffering under the load - very slow to load.

Yeah, I didn't really like the "upgrade" either, and was very happy with the previous site. Interestingly, the met office app is now the 6th most downloaded on the apple App Store!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

The next band has higher ppn intensity bringing freezing level down and it will be drawing cold dry air off the continent on a south east wind. good.gif

I hope it hurrys up! This mildness is not nice! Lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

That's happened many times here too. Back in the summer, areas all around got 30mms of rain, and we only got about 4mm. Same sort of thing happens with wind. I don't think that will happen tomorrow. I'm feeling lucky about this one. smile.png

I can assure you that though the snow seems to pass us byin Gloucester, the rain definitely doesn't!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

We have gone from the odd flake to light snow now, nothing of any significance but nice to see ahead of the big one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I hope it hurrys up! This mildness is not nice! Lol!

1c with light snow albeit not settling doesnt feel mild rofl.gif

Posted

Guys Iv just been walking round the village with my torch in one hand , my iPad in another , and my dressing gown hahahaha , I think the neighbours have called the old bill !!!

I took pics but shocking quality , but it's more then double than yours , and the radar continues to pep up, unbelievable.

Put them up then smile.png

(actually, i'd quite like to see a pic of you wandering the village in your dressing gown ;) )

Edited by Sungirl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Winds veer more SE strengthening pulling in colder temps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

1c with light snow albeit not settling doesnt feel mild rofl.gif

It's raining here! 3.3c.

Edited by khodds

Posted

Hmmm I'm really struggling with this one TBH is got positively warm down here in Wimborne area, steady patchy rain too. Going to need a serious temp change for it to get to snow I think. Looks like I will be traveling to see snow on sat! Really want the snow spectacular, just lost confidence in it at the moment.

Hello everyone decided to pop in and give you a quick forecast for Friday,

Using the high res NMM model shows a band of rain move in from the West expect this to turn to snow once it reaches landfall,

NMM and NAE two high res models show this for Friday morning,

Later on in the morning the snow is expected to continue to move East and into Central Southern England and again both models show this,

Then for the afternoon and evening it still looks good for Central Southern England,

I hope this helps give you a idea of what to expect overall I would say the whole region has a great chance of snowfall on Friday the very far South West may struggle to get some snow though but elsewhere looks good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Hmmm I'm really struggling with this one TBH is got positively warm down here in Wimborne area, steady patchy rain too. Going to need a serious temp change for it to get to snow I think. Looks like I will be traveling to see snow on sat! Really want the snow spectacular, just lost confidence in it at the moment.

For you and others who seem to be worrying, go read the post by Nick Sussex in this thread :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Alexis Green, seriously! Grrrhhhh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: all weather types!

For you and others who seem to be worrying, go read the post by Nick Sussex in this thread smile.png

The issue is it feels mild here to just down the road in Poole and alot of models are suggesting rain/sleet with only a little snow over higher parts in the south of dorset! :(

Posted

Ian's forecast summary:

Significant snow -1st part of the day, before easing in afternoon. 9 inches in upland areas for Points West area.

Early hours coming in but mentioned the dreaded "sleet" word for later.

Peetering out by midday for Bristol.

Sleet for somerset by afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Great forecast by Ian, anyone else notice what it showed for Monday as well!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello everyone decided to pop in and give you a quick forecast for Friday,

Using the high res NMM model shows a band of rain move in from the West expect this to turn to snow once it reaches landfall,

NMM and NAE two high res models show this for Friday morning,

Later on in the morning the snow is expected to continue to move East and into Central Southern England and again both models show this,

Then for the afternoon and evening it still looks good for Central Southern England,

I hope this helps give you a idea of what to expect overall I would say the whole region has a great chance of snowfall on Friday the very far South West may struggle to get some snow though but elsewhere looks good.

Thanks as ever, Weathermaster. good.gif

Please do keep us informed as and when at all possible.