Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Just been to measure .. Can not believe this... 10 inches! .. Is terrible out there did not expect this! Wahhoooo!

That seems a lot! We have around 4 or 5 inches in Eastfield which is impressive enough. Have you measured a drift?

Posted

That seems a lot! We have around 4 or 5 inches in Eastfield which is impressive enough. Have you measured a drift?

Measurements on this forum do have a tendency to be a little 'generous', shall we say...

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

I've been watching them fruitlessly trying to clear the roads, although, you do know that most of the time they're not gritting our road? they save it for "more important" routes believe or not!!!

tesco's is out of bread, probably out of milk and salt by now too smile.png

here's hoping for more to come, but the OH has to work in the morning. luckly, just around the local area

They were gritting this aft, there was that much that the road looked orange but i've seen them loads of times not spreading when they leave the depo, especially in 2010. All they

seem to do is drop a big pile at the junction coming out of the depo then spread it elsewhere.

For once i was organised and went to Tesco yesterday and essentials were getting low then, apart from £6 snow shovels, the robbers cashing in.

If it keeps on like this the OH could have fun in the morning, although i saw the first plough gritter since 2010 go past earlier so if it gets too bad then the big guns

will be on it.

Just nipping out to Penny's, i may be some time. biggrin.png

Posted

Still coming down nicely, hard to get a depth due to the blowing around, however the minimal recording was 5.5cm since late afternoon

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

There's just been a 3 car pile up outside my house (one of the steeper roads in Woodseats) so I can attest there's a couple of inches on some roads and its causing problems. When I came home at 5pm it was slushy on chesterfield road.

Which road was that???

Posted

For anyone that's interested...bbc news have a special report on at 07.30pm called snow across Britain.. Might be worth a watch for anyone needing a break from the lamppost !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Wow north leeds just had a very heavy burst in big flakes! Was fantastic!

WAAAHOOOOO clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Finally mate. yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

continued light snow in Leeds. An extra 2/3cms. About what I expected, here's hoping for more tonight and then even more on Sunday

Posted

We have 5" here at Burniston, 10 seems to be alot although I know its snowing and blowing hard at the moment. Got to be a drift measure at 10"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Much heavier snow now.This is more like it and there could be a good covering in a few hours time.

Do you think the heavier snow will get in to scunny like the METO are predicting from early hours onwards. I'm on a double tomorrow. 5am start. Could be fun !!??

Posted

Look north forecast said snow continuing for most of the night but will be "light and patchy" and heavier towards coastal area's hmmm and saturday light and patchy snow fizzling out later in the day

Posted

Let me add in a seperate post that if the forecast is correct, I wouldn't be surprised to see another inch or two fall overnight here in Headingley (Leeds), though I wouldn't expect anymore in this Western part of our region - although in past experience, the forecast tends to undercook serious convection events (Feb '09 springs to mind straight away).

Darren Bett's 18:57 forecast shows the snow over the SErn third of the UK, not us, though he did say it could be further inland (and with that uncertainty, presumably further north too).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

WAAAHOOOOO clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Finally mate. yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

get in there adam......!!!mega_shok.giftease.giftease.giftease.gifgood.gifblum.gif

Posted

Snow still falling and has been since around 1.30ish, also a look at the raintoday radar shows the |Front on the back edge intensifying again as it bumps into a front moving in from the North Sea around Hull.

Sunday into Monday could give Lincs a further 5-10cm as a front moves up from France and tracks N/NW

LO

Posted

Do you think the heavier snow will get in to scunny like the METO are predicting from early hours onwards. I'm on a double tomorrow. 5am start. Could be fun !!??

Dunno yet mate, but the radar looks good for the next few hours at least and i'm very happy with that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Thick and heavy here.

Posted

Look North weather forecast not looking great for West Yorkshire Sunday/Monday. sad.png

That would be a great shame, but lets wait and see what the models suggest. Latest UKMO, GFS (and, I think, ECM) give us all snow. Indeed, having been through some of the models, only NOGAPS so far support this interpretation.

EDIT: snow has got heavier in Leeds now. Could be a very interesting few days if we get another couple of inches (optimistic for Leeds) tonight and then some more significant snow on Sunday/Monday.

Edited by ITSY

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'm not really sure why people are mentioning showers, the radar below clearly shows that the side of the front we are getting is strong and that the showers have now been absorbed at the coast which is pepping up the front as you go further east (Hull looks great).

Heavy snow, low visibility and no sign of it stopping anytime soon.