Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Assuming you got the same forecast as me then it seems snow is forecast to be light until midnight (logical as the precipitation peps up from the east) but then what is weird is that from 06:00 we are forecast 9 hours of heavy snow with an 80% chance. Where will this come from!

Indeed, radar shows Hull to York eastward under very heavy snow. I'm pleased to say that i called this earlier and with dew points rising on the coast there is good evidence of an increasing easterly element pushing the heavier precipitation further inland.

Hope we gets some heavier stuff here nth lincoln??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Think it's game over now for west yorkshire apart from a further dusting, a measly 1cm here!

Quite disappointing when you think how good it looked a few days ago and we have had 2/3 snow events.

Sunday/mondays event is going to have to be awesome for me to remember this cold spell..

bout the same as here in skegness thought i was the only place with 1 cm lol winds changing tho clouds coming from direction of the sea(east)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yup game over for here. SB, no idea. Cannot see the heavier pulses getting here.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Think it's game over now for west yorkshire apart from a further dusting, a measly 1cm here!

Quite disappointing when you think how good it looked a few days ago and we have had 2/3 snow events.

Sunday/mondays event is going to have to be awesome for me to remember this cold spell..

Wouldnt be sure yet HC, beefy thunder snow in east n the streamer still spawning south of humber n when winds back east? even bbc showed things moving e to w?!?!?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!! lots of it

Indeed, radar shows Hull to York eastward under very heavy snow. I'm pleased to say that i called this earlier and with dew points rising on the coast there is good evidence of an increasing easterly element pushing the heavier precipitation further inland.

We've had about 1cm here in York today, disappointed. Hopefully it will nudge a little more west to give us a bit more overnight. My head hurts from watching the radar, the heavier snow seems to stall or miss us.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Meto has here down for heavy snow from midnight to late morning, Bring it.

Then 15hours worth of heavy snow for Sunday, i'll believe it when i see it.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The real beautiful thing about this snow is that you can see the crystals glistening reflecting the street lights on the ground and even some doing this as they fall past the street light.

I noticed that too when i went out. Why is this, its beautiful?

Radar other than showing a few small gaps suggests game on and the heavy precipitation is pepping up ever further west. Met Office suggest heaviest snow from midnight.

Any idea when this will stop??? Looks like a walk to work tomorrow ha ha

Leicester is into hour 10 of their snowfall which puts us past 2am here.

Posted

Wouldnt be sure yet HC, beefy thunder snow in east n the streamer still spawning south of humber n when winds back east? even bbc showed things moving e to w?!?!?!

By the time it get's here it will probably be much lighter, the real heavy stuff just isn't going to get any further west than York.

If we would have had an easterly, not sout south easterly we would all have got hammered this evening. Also if that band of light crap to the south hadn't made it past midlands we might have got snow showers. I've really enjoyed model watching today :), but leaves a bitter taste when you get no more than a dusting after all the potential been on offer lol.

Posted

Spoke too soon. Beefy showers heading in again!

Yep radar shows some snow coming again. Not sure how long they will last though. Temp very worrying here. 1.7c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.

Well it's been snowing here (Worrall area of Sheffield) for about 4 hours now, very light, but very constant, it's covered tracks, and probably put a couple of inches on the ground and cars. Doesn't show any sign of slowing down just yet either.

Can someone direct me to a radar that is updating please just looked at 12Z and obviously now it is a bit out of date. Ta.

Posted

We've had about 1cm here in York today, disappointed. Hopefully it will nudge a little more west to give us a bit more overnight. My head hurts from watching the radar, the heavier snow seems to stall or miss us.

The stream battering Hull will get you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Well it's been snowing here (Worrall area of Sheffield) for about 4 hours now, very light, but very constant, it's covered tracks, and probably put a couple of inches on the ground and cars. Doesn't show any sign of slowing down just yet either.

Can someone direct me to a radar that is updating please just looked at 12Z and obviously now it is a bit out of date. Ta.

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/home/maps?bg=0

try that

Posted

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/home/maps?bg=0

Posted

I'm in Strensall and its snowing nice and moderate. More like 2 inches here and I'm just 6 miles north of York !

Looks good for a while yet.

Cracking spell of cold.

Y.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Snow is very heavy now and starting to blow around in a strengthening wind. If you look to the SE through the thick snow you can make out lightning flashes. All in all, a wild night in Beverley. Looking upwind towards the Humber, there is more snow coming as a line of showers have developed and they are all heading this way from Hedon over Hull to Beverley. Awesome good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

sooo happy, kids have been sledging, had snowball fights, would not be bothered if it stopped right now here, my craving for snow has been well and truly satisfied, also looked so pretty earlier like glitter falling from the sky :) :) :)

Posted

By the time it get's here it will probably be much lighter, the real heavy stuff just isn't going to get any further west than York.

If we would have had an easterly, not sout south easterly we would all have got hammered this evening. Also if that band of light crap to the south hadn't made it past midlands we might have got snow showers. I've really enjoyed model watching today :), but leaves a bitter taste when you get no more than a dusting after all the potential been on offer lol.

Seewhere your coming from but im still hopefull of a heavy one making it thro.Also potential for sun mon n nxt wk? just got a feeling n im furthest west abliet high ground ha ha

Posted

Just as I give up the snow is getting a little heavier with bigger flakes, going to take a minor miracle for me to reach 5cm tonight.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.

Cheers MP and SB, appreciated.

Looks like plenty more of the light glittery stuff for us here then, not complaining but some chunky flakes would be nice to see.

Posted

Cheers MP and SB, appreciated.

Looks like plenty more of the light glittery stuff for us here then, not complaining but some chunky flakes would be nice to see.

Told the children its "glitter" and they should go collect some......believe anything them two.......aged 21 and 18!!!!