Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

The main Sheffield Road through the village has just been snow ploughed, it feels strange with no traffic on it this early on a Friday night.

Its still coming down nicely but only fine snow with bursts of a bit bigger flakes. Its steady at -2.5C, measured the wheelie bin and theres 9.7cm but there was

a covering already on it, theres a good covering everywhere and a lot of snow really for 5 hours max snowfall. Its seriously cold too, the windchill goes through your clothes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

A lot of lightning here to the east of Cottingham, hope it heads our way!

Posted

Good Evening,

Still snow falling here and no sign of it going anywhere for a few hours! at moment we are measuring 4.7 inches! looks fantastic smile.png hoping more to come late into the night

Metoffice now showing Barnsley for heavy snow for 6am right through until 10am things keep getting better!

Edited by LeeSnowFan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Pit, Sheffield had 17inches in 2010!!

It did too, we had 48cm up here and Sheffield got it just as bad, maybe worse as Chesterfield got it worse than we did.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The real beautiful thing about this snow is that you can see the crystals glistening reflecting the street lights on the ground and even some doing this as they fall past the street light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The heavier snow has consistently skirted around my location to all directions until about 20 minutes ago but at last I seem to be getting some heavier snow now- could do with the wind acquiring a slightly greater easterly component and bringing the North Sea convection a bit further to the SW, as that's where most of the heavy stuff currently is.

Posted

Hard to tell but OMG its snowing that fast I've had to go out and check it wasn't rain!! I can confirm its still snowing heavily.. Spoke to a family member 7 miles down the road and they have light snow!!! It just shows you anything is possible!! Eventful night so far and more to come

Theres a very intense band moving through Keyingham, Hedon and East Hull up to Beverley. Its just gave us another clap of thunder and lightning too :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

These are the depths we got in Dec 2010 http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/Stevenson-2010.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

More thunder and lightning now!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It's brill whole street just lights up white... it's seriously brill but made me jump the hell out of my chair lol

cooool lol dam like to see that.

Posted

Think it's game over now for west yorkshire apart from a further dusting, a measly 1cm here!

Quite disappointing when you think how good it looked a few days ago and we have had 2/3 snow events.

Sunday/mondays event is going to have to be awesome for me to remember this cold spell..

Posted

Theres a very intense band moving through Keyingham, Hedon and East Hull up to Beverley. Its just gave us another clap of thunder and lightning too :)

Any idea when this will stop??? Looks like a walk to work tomorrow ha ha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

Good Evening,

Still snow falling here and no sign of it going anywhere for a few hours! at moment we are measuring 4.7 inches! looks fantastic smile.png hoping more to come late into the night

Metoffice now showing Barnsley for heavy snow for 6am right through until 10am things keep getting better!

4 inches!? Not even close to that in Darton! 4cm max I reckon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

Wow, Thundersnow - - lightning then massive clap of thunder from our streamer!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151344490138050&set=pcb.10151344496688050&type=1&theater

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Some big claps of thunder and some lightning with the snow coming down more. Great stuff!!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Met still have us down for heavy snow for a time today and tomorrow.

Assuming you got the same forecast as me then it seems snow is forecast to be light until midnight (logical as the precipitation peps up from the east) but then what is weird is that from 06:00 we are forecast 9 hours of heavy snow with an 80% chance. Where will this come from!

Hard to tell but OMG its snowing that fast I've had to go out and check it wasn't rain!! I can confirm its still snowing heavily.. Spoke to a family member 7 miles down the road and they have light snow!!! It just shows you anything is possible!! Eventful night so far and more to come

Indeed, radar shows Hull to York eastward under very heavy snow. I'm pleased to say that i called this earlier and with dew points rising on the coast there is good evidence of an increasing easterly element pushing the heavier precipitation further inland.

Posted

A lot of lightning here to the east of Cottingham, hope it heads our way!

I need some of that, not seen thundersnow for 5/6yrs, its amazing at night with the bright orange sky. Last time we had it here it was daytime in a mega snowstorm.