Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

yeah i'm expecting light snowfall with periodic heavier bursts in the West of Yorks, another 2cms as a rough max is my guess for tonight. Much much more (5-10cms+) in the East.

However...this Fax chart (an hour or so old) has Sunday/Monday's snow event slap bang over us

fax72s.gif?18-12

OOOOOOZZZing snow potential there.

Posted

Oh dear just when it was looking so good. Temp risen too 1.5 and dew point 1csad.png

Most likely down to the change in wind direction, we don't want the temperatures to rise too much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

light snow in Doncaster since about 4.30pm, just measured about 3cm. Hoping for a bit more

Actually started at 14:26. I was sad enough to be looking out ofthe window with one eye whilst the other was looking on NW radar. blum.gif

Hexthorpe was quite interesting on the way home!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Nice read will this winter be the same? I hope so !!

Serious snowfall in the winter of 1947

The winter of 1963 - the coldest for more than 200 years

http://www.metoffice.../severe-winters

Puts this event into perspective snowfall up to 30cm by Boxing day 1963. That would be a apocalyptic Weather Warning these days "Everybody write your will for tomorrow you will die Death by snow."

Posted

i still think this streamer is moving inland as the wind switches to the east. will check in an hour :)

Posted

Very heavy and persistent snow now. The temperature has risen to 0.8C with a dewpoint of 0.3C but that has just made it stick better.

We had around 5cm of compacted snow left from Monday and today has added another 3-4cm so far. Another impressive event!

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by reef, January 18, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by reef, January 18, 2013 - No reason given

Puts this event into perspective snowfall up to 30cm by Boxing day 1963. That would be a apocalyptic Weather Warning these days "Everybody write your will for tomorrow you will die Death by snow."

Pit, you silly child, you had 17inches of snow in sheffield on 2010 and things were fine. Drama queen! Sheffield will have 4inches plus by tomorrow am!

Edited by Pilgers
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Met still have us down for heavy snow for a time today and tomorrow.

Posted

Very heavy and persistent snow now. The temperature has risen to 0.8C with a dewpoint of 0.3C but that has just made it stick better.

We had around 5cm of compacted snow left from Monday and today has added another 3-4cm so far. Another impressive event!

What are your thoughts abouth Sundays events in our part of the world Reef. Do you expect us to see rain/sleet or will Snow be more likely, thanks GSLgood.gif

Posted

Pit, Sheffield had 17inches in 2010!!

Posted

Looks like the fun and games are over for now here. Heavy band moving inland with the odd burst of lighter snow coming down. Temp 0.4 dew point 0.2C. Let's hope thats as far as it goes or it may be a slushy mess come morning!

All those west of here in the firing line....enjoy! :)

Posted

What are your thoughts abouth Sundays events in our part of the world Reef. Do you expect us to see rain/sleet or will Snow be more likely, thanks GSLgood.gif

Its quite difficult to tell at the moment as the models disagree even as soon as T+48.

At the moment ECM and UKMO show a better chance of it remaining as snow whereas the GFS looks more marginal. It might be a case of literally waiting until the day and seeing how temperatures fare at the time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Pit, Sheffield had 17inches in 2010!!

I think I called it a ridiculous amount at the time considering how early it was. I remember the night well when it arrived. My mother decided she wanted to go out in it at 02:00 in her nighty and didn't take kindly to me stopping her. That was proper heavy snow not this light stuff we're getting.

Posted

How much snow do you think hull will have by the morning

Hard to tell but OMG its snowing that fast I've had to go out and check it wasn't rain!! I can confirm its still snowing heavily.. Spoke to a family member 7 miles down the road and they have light snow!!! It just shows you anything is possible!! Eventful night so far and more to come

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

yeah they gave red warning out for parts of wales today, if anything like 47 , 63 came think they would have to upgrade there warning system lol

Posted

Still heaving it down here, surely won't last much longer. Over an hour and a half of heavy snow and really piling up. Had at least 12 cm today, but will do a proper check later and that's on top of the 10 cm on the ground from Monday. Temp risen here too, now at it's highest for days at -0.3.

Posted

OMG thunder snow and lightening wow tonight is just brill

Tinker were you from in hull and yeah defo mounting up now her

East hull did you see the thunder-snow??