Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I suppose there is a chance they may plough them, certainly should be able to get access to somewhere like Wirksworth or Cromford which are close by. Alternatively, somewhere like Ashbourne should get hit hard too - and there is the A517 from here to Ashbourne which is always gritted and kept open.

Who knows, I may wake up to 30cm here rofl.gif

The bit i have highlighted made me laugh, as the plough came through the local village the other day with no plough on or grit, and that was the last we saw of them... never to be seen again lol. The lanes where i live never get gritted or plough'd.

Still snowing very heavy here, looks like we could do very well out of this !

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Its light to moderate here, but looks like some heavier stuff to our east (should I be looking east or southeast?)

PM, just need the snow over you to expand out by a few miles and I'm in business :)

Posted

East Midlands weather just now: "We've had a little bit of snow today, coming a bit later than we expected" eh? Got to love BBC forecasts, so poor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

East Midlands weather just now: "We've had a little bit of snow today, coming a bit later than we expected" eh? Got to love BBC forecasts, so poor.

They must be focusing on Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire as this is true for around here, but certainly not true for the rest of the East Midlands. I missed it, did they say they expect 30-60cm of snow overnight with 90mph winds.... or a few flurries and some mist lol?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

East Midlands today are always biased towards Nottingham because that's where they are based. Shouldn't be like that though!

Posted

BBC East Midlands weather reports are from people that are not actually weather forecasters. They just read it out. They also do local East Midlands Radio and whenever they are asked a question about the technical side of the weather they always say I don't know or will come back to you. Poor effort BBC Local.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow ,Frost

Started snowing here at 9 oclock ,covering road on top of 4 inches we had on Friday

Posted

They must be focusing on Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire as this is true for around here, but certainly not true for the rest of the East Midlands. I missed it, did they say they expect 30-60cm of snow overnight with 90mph winds.... or a few flurries and some mist lol?

Yes, should have realised that. They didn't commit themselves to much as usual and no real mention of the 12 hours of snow in Leicester! My school in Coalville is closed!

Posted

BBC East Midlands weather reports are from people that are not actually weather forecasters. They just read it out. They also do local East Midlands Radio and whenever they are asked a question about the technical side of the weather they always say I don't know or will come back to you. Poor effort BBC Local.

Yes, I've had local radio on a lot this week and the forecasts are so terribly vague and wrong! This morning they said snow coming in at lunchtime, clearing by 3-4pm! It is still snowing, albeit lightly and has been since 9am!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I have to agree it was terrible, they also said a high tomorrow of 2 degrees, but that was only in Skegness, every where else showed 0 or -1, but I bet we have 3 degrees tomorrow

Posted

Still nothing that dramatic happening, a few light flurries, the paths that I cleared on Friday evening are still snow free.

the airports reporting temperatures of 0 and dewpionts of zero with slight snow.

Posted

Still nothing that dramatic happening, a few light flurries, the paths that I cleared on Friday evening are still snow free.

the airports reporting temperatures of 0 and dewpionts of zero with slight snow.

Where actually r y

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Posted

Considering this spell of snow started at about 5.45 and I thought it was rather wet, as it wasn't settling on the road or pavements, whilst I was at work, I have just gone outside and measured 10cm of fresh snow, on top of the wheelie bins and it is still snowing moderately at the moment. All in all, with Fridays snow, there must probably be about 16cm in total, on the ground.

Posted

Heavy snowfall continuing here, but concerns growing that the front may have completely slipped North come 1am. Around 4cm's has fallen tonight so far, added with the existing cover we are now up to around 11-12cm's.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

-1.1c, dewpoint of -1.7c, still snowing [lightly] meaning it has snowed today for every single waking hour. Can't remember another time where this has happened.

Around about 4", (maybe 5"?) of fresh snowfall today bringing our total to around 13" typical depth in the areas which were not cleared from Friday's event. Certainly not bad at all! Will be interesting to see how long it takes for this lot to thaw, temperatures haven't risen above freezing for days here so could be a while...

Goodnight all :)

Posted

Its still snowing here in Ashby, any paths that were cleared a few hours ago completely covered again.

Hi I am very near u what r your roads like? Do u think the schools will be open in the morning?

Posted

Still mod snow here, temp -1.3c dew point -1.6c

Posted

Been very lucky here in Hinckley over past week and it seems its been just as good for other people in the central midlands. Missed out on really good snowfall events in recent years so I think it's about time we had some of the best snow countrywide this time around. Just measured a shade under 8" on my bench in the back garden which is untouched since the first snowfall on Monday about 6 to 7" on the back lawn,less on other areas where it's been trampled under foot. Been a brilliant week here