Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Midlands Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Looking good for you guys in Notts now. Anyone seen whats coming up from the South West? (Plymouth)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What are the radars showing?

You should be able to look at the snow radar, I think it's free at the moment, cos I've been taking a look today

Posted

Still just the odd flurry here, utterly disappointed with todays effort.

Agree but things just beginning to pick up a little now - difficult to say for how long though based on the most recent radar updates!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I have to say I have been impressed with the memos forecast of snow over this period, but their tempature forecasts have not been great, still 0.3 here and rising.

Why is it not dropping below freezing, what would complete this cold spell would be really low temps, but it is just not happening.

The snow seems to be melting at the road surface and as soon as a car goes over it, it as completely gone.

Posted

I have to say I have been impressed with the memos forecast of snow over this period, but their tempature forecasts have not been great, still 0.3 here and rising.

Why is it not dropping below freezing, what would complete this cold spell would be really low temps, but it is just not happening.

The snow seems to be melting at the road surface and as soon as a car goes over it, it as completely gone.

That's so odd, i'm right in the centre of leicester and theres no melt, roads are covered with probably around 2-3cm compact snow! what a difference just a few miles makes!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Agree but things just beginning to pick up a little now - difficult to say for how long though based on the most recent radar updates!

Indeed it is, just looked out and snow coming down a little heavier although still not much. Latest BBC forecast on N24 has the snow still over our region by 10am tomorrow so maybe its not that we have missed out, more that we have just had to wait (fingers crossed).

Lol, look how the snow has intensified just to the north as I predicted!

Posted

Any idea how much has fallen today? I'd go out but i'm to comfortable to venture out aha!

I really should have measured the snowfall on my car when I was cleaning the snow off it just now but it was a lot! At least the size of two sticks of butter stacked up on top of each other laying on the bonnet, windscreen and roof!

Posted

Still only snizzle here sad.png

Its so gutting isn't it. Met Office rainfall predictor thingy shows moderate snow all around us but it just does not get into our region. We can all but hope. And, as I said on your website - surprises could be in store next week.

On that subject, if you want to hear and talk about the weather, see pictures of the weather, watch videos or read forecasts for the weather then hit the link at the bottom of Beccaboo's page, come and join... (that'll be a fiver thanks Becky :D )

Posted

Its so gutting isn't it. Met Office rainfall predictor thingy shows moderate snow all around us but it just does not get into our region. We can all but hope. And, as I said on your website - surprises could be in store next week.

On that subject, if you want to hear and talk about the weather, see pictures of the weather, watch videos or read forecasts for the weather then hit the link at the bottom of Beccaboo's page, come and join... (that'll be a fiver thanks Becky biggrin.png )

We've even got weather girl Sian Lloyd following us lol!!

I did just see a big flake fly past - only one mind!! Yes, it is gutting, but, good to know i can drive to work tomorrow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Any idea how much has fallen today? I'd go out but i'm to comfortable to venture out aha!

I reckon we've had about 6-8cm out of today's snowfall. The radar accumulation over the last 12 hours suggests something around that as well.

Posted

The hills surrounding Wirksworth are a mere 8 miles away from me and are progged to have 40cm of level snow by this time tomorrow! Its a short drive or a long hike - may have to take a trip up there :)

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Heavy persistent falling here, radar looks fantastic for tonight !

Should get a good top up, already around 20cm here from the last few days.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

The hills surrounding Wirksworth are a mere 8 miles away from me and are progged to have 40cm of level snow by this time tomorrow! Its a short drive or a long hike - may have to take a trip up there smile.png

Hi C, I would't bother unless you have a 4x4, roads are already cover'd here.

Posted

Hi C, I would't bother unless you have a 4x4, roads are already cover'd here.

I suppose there is a chance they may plough them, certainly should be able to get access to somewhere like Wirksworth or Cromford which are close by. Alternatively, somewhere like Ashbourne should get hit hard too - and there is the A517 from here to Ashbourne which is always gritted and kept open.

Who knows, I may wake up to 30cm here rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Still snowing here laugh.png It started around 10am, over 12 hours continuous snow! It's mostly been light-moderate but it's still great to see such prolonged snowfall.