Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 21st January 2103, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

stopped now in cumbernauld. been a pretty solid display of falling snow (mostly) all day - and only a pretty slim covering to show for it - quite surprised to see so many people running to move their cars and leaving early, it certainly doesnt warrent that - not here anyways!

Posted

Just a quick update..... still snawing.

Few more pictures, about 3 or 4" on the ground.

post-2849-0-71397300-1359133166_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-00705100-1359133169_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-49053500-1359133171_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-31225800-1359133174_thumb.jp

Roads are great though, so did an SS and went for a drive. good.gif (Renault Grand Espace 2.2 Initial, all 2.8 tonnes)

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

stopped now in cumbernauld. been a pretty solid display of falling snow (mostly) all day - and only a pretty slim covering to show for it - quite surprised to see so many people running to move their cars and leaving early, it certainly doesnt warrent that - not here anyways!

Coming on a bit again but you are right for everything that has seemingly fallen there is a slim covering frustrating but it's a familiar story this spell

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Started as snow this morning and had quite an impressive covering before it turned to sleet which was to be expected. But I was playing football after school and was surprised that it had turned back to snow when I had finished. Early afternoon all of the snow we had from early this morning had disappeared apart from some on the grass. Most surfaces had turned completely wet but now they are starting to develop a layer of slush again.

What is causing this? is it heavier ppn or are the temperatures lowering because I suspect the uppers are getting worse by the hour.

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted

** STAGECOACH - URGENT **

ALL Perth City Services are being taken off from 6pm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

How low will it go? Massive Atlantic storm winding up.

In the Northern Atlantic, an extratropical storm that brought up to 6" of snow to Maryland on Thursday is rapidly intensifying about 500 miles east of Newfoundland, Canada, and figures to become one of the most intense storms ever observed in the North Atlantic. This meteorological "bomb" was analyzed with a central pressure of 984 mb at 12Z (7 am EST) Friday morning by NOAA's Ocean Prediction Center; the GFS and ECMWF models both predict that the storm will deepen by 60 mb in 24 hours, reaching a central pressure of 924 - 928 mb by 7 am EST Saturday morning. This is the central pressure one commonly sees in Category 4 hurricanes, and is a very rare intensity for an extratropical storm to attain. Since extratropical storms do not form eyewalls, the winds of the massive Atlantic low are predicted to peak at 90 mph (Category 1 hurricane strength), with significant wave heights reaching 52 feet (16 meters.) Fortunately, the storm is expected to weaken dramatically before reaching any land areas, and will only be a concern to shipping. The intensification process will be aided by the strong contrast between the frigid Arctic air flowing off the coast of Canada from this week's cold blast, and the warm air lying over the warm waters of the Gulf Stream current. The ultimate strength of the storm will depend upon where the center tracks in relation to several warm eddies of the Gulf Stream along its path. According to wunderground's weather historian Christopher C. Burt's post on Super Extratropical Storms, the all-time record lowest pressure for a North Atlantic extratropical storm is 913 mb, set on January 11, 1993, near Scotland's Shetland Islands. The mighty 1993 storm broke apart the super oil tanker Braer on a rocky shoal in the Shetland Islands, causing a massive oil spill.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2335

Posted

Still snowing in Braco albeit a lot lighter. Should all stop in a couple of hours. All very pretty.

All the kids now home from school and just the good lady to try and make her way back from work. Should be an interesting drive for her !

M...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Back home after dropping one of the kids up at her pals house in nw Dundee. Lots of new nice fresh snow up there on top of the old cover. At home at lower altitude about two inches of wettish stuff. Other young one away sledging. Going to get pretty wet I think. Still wet snow falling. 0.6c.

See auchterhouse now up to level 39cms.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

well its been snow to sleet to snow to sleet with wind. :( disappointing.

On the lookout for more snaw or a house move lol! Need to be in the hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Well the snow finally lay looked pretty awesome, any more to come? Thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

** STAGECOACH - URGENT **

ALL Perth City Services are being taken off from 6pm!

Local roads are very bad, even motorway between Broxden to Dobbies junction wasn't good earlier. Glad I got sent home at 12 :)

Edited by Allyw12

Posted

It's now as white as it has been during this cold spell. It's a shame that the snow is now starting to stop but at least this cold spell had a decent heavy snowfall and some lying snow at its finale but snowfall and a covering of the white stuff hasn't been a rare sight during the past two weeks and I would have hoped for something just a little more significant. The atlantic is coming back the potential for snow in brief cooler incursions can't be ruled out and I feel quite confident of another go at a cold spell in February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Lurgied up with the manflu up here in Crieff but reporting in now. Very heavy snow the past few hours. Has been on since early this morning but really pepped up around midday. Has already dumped more in past 5 hours than the 30+ hours outbreak did earlier in the week - several inches. Transport kyboshed (to use the technical term). 4x4s stuck up the town.

0.3ºC/DP1ºC

Big snaw: OOOOOFFFFFFFTTTTTT!

Pics attached. Witness the Knock (big hill in Crieff) having a whiteyoot in the 1st one.

post-736-0-75096700-1359134631_thumb.jpgpost-736-0-47939900-1359134645_thumb.jpgpost-736-0-07922000-1359134655_thumb.jpgpost-736-0-15063900-1359134910_thumb.jpgpost-736-0-52839200-1359134684_thumb.jpgpost-736-0-33237700-1359134695_thumb.jpgpost-736-0-34649600-1359134705_thumb.jpg

Posted

Apparently the kids from Crieff are stuck on the bus in Muthill and are being sent back to the school. Roads are very poor between Crieff and Braco.

Snow has now stopped.

M...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Happy Burns Nicht to all.

Beware the Giant Haggis in the snaw...

post-736-0-36766400-1359135147_thumb.jpg

Posted

I missed the blizzard as I was at work in sleety Edinburgh, just a slushy mess here now!

Edited by Ross B

Posted

Better than nothing. Already had cleaned the drive and covered again.

Better than nothing!? In any winter I would settle for that. There's only a quarter of a cm here.

Posted

having seen a neighbour attempt to park and getting no joy, on goes the coat and shovel. out we go clear a bit for some grip. not even a thanks. community spirit my I have a problem. may have to sit with beer in hand watching anyone else struggle.

eh?? i said my erse! not my i have a problem.

Edited by cscrim

Posted

The snow is no more falling straight, got a slight easterly (not westerly) component to it - why that??

It has just started again, very light but coming from the East.

M...

Posted

Just light snow in Stirling now - sum total of lying snow on garden table top is 3 inches.

Normally I'd argue till the cows come home and swear that that was more, but as always, the wife knows best.

edit - radar is showing some more build up heading towards us on the back of the front that's passing now...haven't checked temps etc so fingers crossed ( 0c/-0c dp)

Edited by GraemeB