Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 05/02/13 08 -------->

A.J

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

is that rain on the telly in aberdeen i thought it was supposed to be snow up that way?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I would be interested to know why this northerly has been so underwhelming for NE Scotland. Any thoughts?

Pressure rose too quickly from the west:

13020618_0618.gif

Consequently the real cold (500hpa temperatures of -40C are conducive to polar low formation) never really hit:

13020618_0618.gif

-7C uppers often don't cut it either:

13020618_0618.gif

Unfortunate really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

I would be interested to know why this northerly has been so underwhelming for NE Scotland. Any thoughts?

Coz it was overestimated from the start!

Posted

Coz it was overestimated from the start!

who by?

I didn't think so.. I hoped a lot, yes, but I never read it hyped to be more than it turned out to be..

Edited by Snooz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

who by?

I didn't think so.. I hoped a lot, yes, but I never read it hyped to be more than it it..

Did the BBC not make some comment about it being 'Arctic sourced'? I mean of course being a northerly it is but it isn't even all that well sourced:

h500slp.png

At one stage it did look better to be fair to it but it has been steadily declining in potency for a few days now.

Now this:

Rrea00120051125.gif

Rrea00120060228.gif

is a proper northerly.

Posted

pub run looking MEGA so far

if the run keeps going the way it is there could be an O at the beginning of that word.

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

pub run looking MEGA so far

I'm just waiting for the much vaunted westerly flow to return:

gfsnh-0-168.png?18

Nope, still no sign...

gfsnh-1-168.png?18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Did the BBC not make some comment about it being 'Arctic sourced'? I mean of course being a northerly it is but it isn't even all that well sourced:

Indeed "they" (BBC) did. Actual words were "Winds straight out of the Arctic"...I know this because I watched that particular "forecast"..

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted

I'm just waiting for the much vaunted westerly flow to return:

gfsnh-0-168.png?18

Nope, still no sign...

gfsnh-1-168.png?18

not liking how they scandi hieghts sink like that

Posted

they may well have done later-ly (spelling intended), but i never actually saw it mentioned at all on the news, though it may well have been after there was nothing else to mention.. there's been so much this week!

your not so 'well sourced' image was earlier tonight at 6pm.. but it, this "northerly", was only ever "well sourced" between midnight and 6am (past!).. anytime after that it was a bonus (or not as turned out) subject to direction fluctuation as well as actual precipitation content

At one stage it did look better to be fair to it but it has been steadily declining in potency for a few days now.

Yea I agree, but no-one said that before last night/now because no-one actually said there was a potency to it in the first place. but anyway I certainly didn't expect anything more, and I'm sorry if some did.. I tried i had my candles lit and was praying remember.. (waste of time that is!!)

A properly northerly

No idea what one of them is tease.gif

Posted

Indeed "they" (BBC) did. Actual words were "Winds straight out of the Arctic"...I know this because I watched that particular "forecast"..

LOL..perhaps this is what we get for reading here, instead of hanging of the media's every word smile.png #cannawin

quote from BBC twitter:

Cold wind straight from the Arctic today, so despite the fact that max temps will be generally between 4-7C, it will feel closer to 0C. CK

BBC @ 7.05am.. and that is (almost, but it was true @7.05am!) exactly what happened/is happening - it's baltic, it's not 4-7C (anyone thinking this "forecast" is not for us yet?) - in fact here... max today was max 4 min 1.2.. just now = 1.7, wind chill I don't know but I posted earlier it was -4*C, which feels a heck of a lot colder than 0 - it's media hype BFT.. nothing more, nothing less

Edited by Snooz

Posted

A bit off topic but I always knew there was some hidden reason why I liked snow.

Just been researching my surname and have found it is derived from pre 7th century Old Norse origin so the snow genes must still be present!!!

Posted

well the pub run was so good to start off with then it went the same way it usually does.

best thing i am going to take from that run is if u look around 138-174hr the PV over canada weakened and pulled away and there was signs of hieght rises over greenland which was nice to see in that timeframe.

Posted

Just waiting on the GFS ensembles to come out on netweather before I call it a night but bloody hell they're good.

gensnh-21-1-240.png?18

A MEAN easterly flow (not as in aggressive you understand) heights to the northeast, more heights developing in the mid Atlantic which eventually ridge northwards into Greenland and a great big juicy slab of PV heading into central Russia where we might just be able to tap into it. Looks like the tropospheric deck is going to be well and truly shuffled once again and this time, we might just hit a royal flush.

Posted

This maybe illustrates the problem more clearly:

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

To the east, a big mass of showers and potential polar lows that BFT loves so much, and to the west of that, feeding in from due north-northeast of us, a bank of stratiform cloud.

Posted

t850Fife.png

Once again, nae waarm...

Posted

Thanks for the explanations last night in answer to my Q. I had the feeling the N'y wasn't going to deliver. Looking to the N, the clouds just didn't have that 'white' look to them indicating solely sna'.

Anyhoo, a wee bit of the white stuff did fall overnight & there is what I would term a 'skimming'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Glorious red sky this morning (shepherds must be twitching). Could be an interesting day....

Posted

Ice chaos in Aberdeen city today. Looks like hail that fell, melted a bit then froze, topped off with a light sprinkling of snow for good measure.

The process for getting a car up an icy hill seems to be "floor it in first so I can crawl up the hill at 0.025mph whilst using my tyres to polish the

ice to a fine lustre".....sigh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning! At least I think it is.....The overnight crew on the model thread just crack me up! The Dutchman is so excitable (and confusing) but I just can't help but laugh. Anyway, thank God for Frosty! a nice, precise statement setting out our prospects for the tail end of the weekend. As far as it is looking at the moment, we can expect it to turn a lot colder with plenty of snow around from Sunday night thru' Tuesday? Infact, overnight tonight looks quite promising I think?

post-1989-0-20665800-1360227905_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-04007300-1360227964_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-59477700-1360227981_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-90413900-1360228001_thumb.pn

Possible precipitation for overnight here but these charts to be taken lightly!

post-1989-0-72926000-1360228385_thumb.pn

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Dull start to the day currently 1.1c but no real frost on the ground but it may come in if the sky clears a bit. Could really do with a spell of frost to dry the ground up a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Anyhoo, a wee bit of the white stuff did fall overnight & there is what I would term a 'skimming'.

The 'skimming' extends out as far as Kemnay at least, although I believe from a colleague there's nothing much to the South of the city. It was snowing very lightly in Kemnay when I left at 8am.

Ice chaos in Aberdeen city today. Looks like hail that fell, melted a bit then froze, topped off with a light sprinkling of snow for good measure.

The process for getting a car up an icy hill seems to be "floor it in first so I can crawl up the hill at 0.025mph whilst using my tyres to polish the ice to a fine lustre".....sigh.

The roads in Kemnay/Kintore are fairly icy in places but not too bad as the traffic volumes are low. Dyce however was a completely different story! Roads quite icy in places so everything slowed almost to a halt and I witnessed at least one van play the 'lets see how fast I can spin my wheels' game. fool.gif