Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 05/02/13 08 -------->

A.J

Posted

Just heard that there have been several crashes on the South Deeside Road due to black ice. Stay careful peeps.

Posted

A off topic question for LomandSnowstorm when he has time. Is the Southern Hemisphere being affected by a meridional south polar jetstream?

I ask because I am reading reports of the price of oilseed rape going up because of severe drought in Argentina. If it is then I find it ironic that the food supply is being more affected in the developed world than the undeveloped world because of errant jetstreams..

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Reached 0.0C last night (08.03). Now +1.2C (+0.9C/hour).

Hopefully a little more snow tonight into tomorrow and then the anticipation gathers pace.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

BBC News24 Weather calling an increasing risk of snow on Sunday with usual warnings about travel plans - nothing more specific.

Posted

ITV forecast on Daybreak this morning ( I know, I know - blame the wife blum.gif ) mentioned possible rush hour disruption due to snow through the Central Belt with 2-5cms. Most likely nonsense! As it's coming from the west I expect to see nothing here as usual regardless.

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I will be happy with a light covering tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

A off topic question for LomandSnowstorm when he has time. Is the Southern Hemisphere being affected by a meridional south polar jetstream?

I ask because I am reading reports of the price of oilseed rape going up because ofsevere drought in Argentina. If it is then I find it ironic that the food supply is being more affected in the developed world than the undeveloped worldbecause of errant jetstreams..

It is indeed, although it's quite a different pattern due to the Antarctic landmass.

There seems to have been a near permanent block over them for most of the last 12 months even

188.74.99.97.37.4.9.38.png

13020806_0706.gif

I'm not entirely sure of what's driving it since we seem to be in a period where ENSO is in a pretty low state (although at times the tropospheric pattern has looked more El Nino than La Nina with respect to global angular momentum etc.), but interesting all the same.

Posted

Not hopeful about later as Temp. now +3.9/+0.8 (+1.4C/hour). Off to work.

One neighbour has their washing out and the other is cutting their grass. It feels very warm in the sun as for the first time since we moved in there is no wind!!

Posted

Met office downgrade to slippery roads no snow warning in place! cray.gif

Posted

It is indeed, although it's quite a different pattern due to the Antarctic landmass.

There seems to have been a near permanent block over them for most of the last 12 months even

188.74.99.97.37.4.9.38.png

13020806_0706.gif

I'm not entirely sure of what's driving it since we seem to be in a period where ENSO is in a pretty low state (although at times the tropospheric pattern has looked more El Nino than La Nina with respect to global angular momentum etc.), but interesting all the same.

Thank you for the reply.The weather has a lot to answer for .

Speaking to another farmer this morning and we were talking about the price of spring cereal seed having doubled in the past year because of much reduced autumn sowings with saturated soils and any that was sown being drowned out on a vast scale. The demand for spring seed has sky rocketed and is now being sourced from Europe.Hope we get some dry spring weather to sow it. Another interesting point was the example of an agrochemical firm delivering huge quantities of autumn herbicide onto farms which was not used due to the weather particularly in England. Farmers tried to return it but firm did not have enough suitable storage and has told them to keep it free of charge till next autumn wnen they will be billed,Thats not going to do much for their bottom line this year but at least it shows they are sharing the pain.

After three orders to BT, two weeks and four days later, we finally have broadband connected at the new house.

Never again, it has been tough but I made it :rofl:

Met office downgrade to slippery roads no snow warning in place! cray.gif

The radar shows the precip as snizzle at most, although it should pep up a little on landfall with some orographic uplift.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

well the afternoon bbc forecast looks crap yet another non event

sunday looked good on the forecast but we will just have to wait and see if it comes off.

he did say he was quite concerned about it and could see snow to all levels in scotland.

Fingers crossed for some more snow in the next few weeks, there are only small remnants left of these fabulous drifts:

post-2844-0-50978600-1360241987_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-86338800-1360242456_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-26399000-1360244208_thumb.jp

It seems like a long time ago sad.png

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

The radar shows the precip as snizzle at most, although it should pep up a little on landfall with some orographic uplift.

Yeh the band has weakened and stalled. Still time but not holding breath as it was supposed to be hitting Glasgow about now. Nowhere near that.

The GFS and ECM both give something interesting for Monday morning, although there are slight differences which would have a big impact on the end result:

The GFS frames are first, the low is slightly further north, the cold uppers don't really make it to Scotland and unless you live at decent altitude away from the coast it is very marginal. The ECM is second, slightly further south with the low and the uppers are a lot better as a result.

post-2844-0-17496200-1360248293_thumb.pn

post-2844-0-42062900-1360248387_thumb.pn

post-2844-0-02656500-1360248415_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-84661500-1360249047_thumb.gi

From a very IMBY point of view the ECM would be a cracker as it would still be going in some form for 24hrs+, an absolute slam dunk of a blizzard, probably not far off the one two weeks ago.

Edited: cos I am a tube and put the GFS 850 temps in twice, now corrected :rofl:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It looks almost like 2nd/3rd February 2009 in reverse, but with a slightly longer easterly. I'd suggest that if we keep rolling the metaphorical -8C uppers dice at some point we're likely to see a proper lowland pasting. It could well be this Monday/ Tuesday for some.

Posted

It looks almost like 2nd/3rd February 2009 in reverse, but with a slightly longer easterly. I'd suggest that if we keep rolling the metaphorical -8C uppers dice at some point we're likely to see a proper lowland pasting. It could well be this Monday/ Tuesday for some.

Fingers crossed, hopefully less of a south easterly this time - less modification up here - and ssts slightly lower than the last cold spell. Surely ! But still expecting to be doing this - wallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

The GFS and ECM both give something interesting for Monday morning, although there are slight differences which would have a big impact on the end result:

The GFS frames are first, the low is slightly further north, the cold uppers don't really make it to Scotland and unless you live at decent altitude away from the coast it is very marginal. The ECM is second, slightly further south with the low and the uppers are a lot better as a result.

post-2844-0-17496200-1360248293_thumb.pn

post-2844-0-42062900-1360248387_thumb.pn

post-2844-0-02656500-1360248415_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-84661500-1360249047_thumb.gi

From a very IMBY point of view the ECM would be a cracker as it would still be going in some form for 24hrs+, an absolute slam dunk of a blizzard, probably not far off the one two weeks ago.

Edited: cos I am a tube and put the GFS 850 temps in twice, now corrected rofl.gif

Those charts look truly amazing, but I now take every forecast that tells me it'll snow with a large...nay....a lorry load of salt!

Posted

A lot of moisture out west but nothing falling. Is this so slight it's giving a false radar reading!

Posted

h850t850eu.png

UW96-21.GIF?07-17

Hmm...

Front looks like moving in properly around 8pm-1am, and according to the NMM it will be wintry, though not necessarily settling snow for low ground. Looks like it will at least intensify though and give us a shot.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

h850t850eu.png

UW96-21.GIF?07-17

Hmm...

Front looks like moving in properly around 8pm-1am, and according to the NMM it will be wintry, though not necessarily settling snow for low ground. Looks like it will at least intensify though and give us a shot.

hopefully they two charts dont change too much as angle of attack looks far better for a chance of streamers into the falkirk area

Aye, it looks pretty good for parts of the north...no great depths but certainly a reasonable spell of light snow for some. Here's the NAE for midnight tonight:

post-2844-0-82590900-1360258268_thumb.gi

Bits and bobs of snow on the Traffic Scotland cameras :good:

Edited by CatchMyDrift