Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 9th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I am not so sure on amounts have you looked at NW forecast for Mon/Tues,very strong winds and medium/heavy snow...considering booking Tuesday off in case I am very late home on Monday....don't wan't to waste a days holiday but recently have been late home every day due to crashes etc so add a bit of snow and it could be worse...

GFS very suspect...would rather stick to UKMO forecasts and other radar etc.......doubt we will see much in way of moderate amounts...flurries, 2cm etc...nothing to write home about im afraid.diablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

COAMPS, NAVGEM, GEM & GME all very good for SE snow, NOGAPS with the UKMO as Southern fringe only, GFS sort of in the middle. NAE drops low into France instead.

JMA, BOM and ECM to come.

Edited by ukpaul

Guest bjaykent

The latest NAE is different to the previous one for 6am Monday with the main snow band absent. I know it might sound like I am saying it because I don't like what it suggests, but it looks a bit suspect ppn wise to me. Even over Northern France very close to the low, it looks like it has underdone the amount of ppn. Its not uncommon to got one rogue output on the NAE - especially in its 'FI' frames.

Might be worth evaluating the position after the evening one has come out. GFS still bullish amount bringing the snow to southern counties, although as you say it is more progressive in clearing it awaysmile.png

Yes, as you I think said yesterday, there isn't a lot of room for manoeuvre with a Channel Low, small adjustments make big differences to ppn but on the face of it nae does look a little odd and you can't really see it would go on to bring anything more on Tuesday from those charts either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Yes, as you I think said yesterday, there isn't a lot of room for manoeuvre with a Channel Low, small adjustments make big differences to ppn but on the face of it nae does look a little odd and you can't really see it would go on to bring anything more on Tuesday from those charts either.

So far as Ukpaul says there is a spread of solutions with the ppn/snow band on the updated model output. I agree with what he says in terms of GFS maybe being a midway solution. For now at least, I think that the UKMO and NAE are undercooking prospects. In this regard, comments from Ian F might be helpful later in terms of how they view ensemble data (e.g MOGREPS) next to these operational outputssmile.png

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

heres a bit of fun

updated fax for tomorrow

PPVE89.gif?31415

UW24-7.GIF?09-16

UW24-594.GIF?09-16

another change rofl.gif

Early onset of the white stuff?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

heres a bit of fun

updated fax for tomorrow

PPVE89.gif?31415

UW24-7.GIF?09-16

UW24-594.GIF?09-16

another change rofl.gif

They forgot the dam line, would that still be just above the front as before?

Posted

Early onset of the white stuff?

hi mate

at present i would not call that dry with that front

where it is

will update soon

Posted

Would def stick to UKMO forecasts, updates rather than the GFS which really cannot predict our shores at this short range...just a generic forecast from gfs in my eyes........especially as the ppn is now right on top of us or not so to speaksmile.png

Edited by ChartViewer

Posted

As i was saying before highest risk mon eve - tuesday, hope it happens!

Looks fun biggrin.png

well no, you said the snow risk wasn't due til monday eve. if the meto warnings are correct, we should see snow right across the southern counties all through monday with the risk moving east on monday eve, giving further accumulations. i hope it happens as well as i'm in both of the warning areas!

Posted

Would def stick to UKMO forecasts, updates than the GFS which really cannot predict our shores at this short range...just a generic forecast from gfs in my eyes........especially as the ppn is now right on top of us or not so to speaksmile.png

hi mate

to be honest i would wait until tomorrow afternoon

when the cold air is over all of us then watch the radar

best forecasting tool there is smile.pngsmile.png

Posted

What is the forecast on NW based on? - according to that I wil most likely not be able to leave the house for 3 days as it has my postcode under 95% risk of snow from tommorow afternoon all the way through till Tuesday evening - NOT the impression I got from the forecast on the BBC News a few minutes ago.

Do any of you go by NW forecast - never seems very acurate to me - one day last week I had a 95% chance of snow late afternoon when there was no snow forecast anywhere and nor did it arrive - seems to me to be a bit of a white elephant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Just been informed that its snowing in Lowestoft. Can anyone confirm. It looks close on the radar.,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

In terms of the UKMO, it models the ppn some way south of the advisories issued today if early Tuesday is anything to go by.

U60-594.GIF?09-16

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Definitely snowing here, K...Settling too...good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

What is the forecast on NW based on? - according to that I wil most likely not be able to leave the house for 3 days as it has my postcode under 95% risk of snow from tommorow afternoon all the way through till Tuesday evening - NOT the impression I got from the forecast on the BBC News a few minutes ago.

Do any of you go by NW forecast - never seems very acurate to me - one day last week I had a 95% chance of snow late afternoon when there was no snow forecast anywhere and nor did it arrive - seems to me to be a bit of a white elephant.

its based on the gfs and changes after each run, 4 times a day.

like you, i dont find it very accurate

Posted

Just been informed that its snowing in Lowestoft. Can anyone confirm. It looks close on the radar.,

Someone posted that a few pages back on here. So could be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

The two extremes -

NAE

13031112_0912.gif

COAMPS

coamps-2-48_tjn1.png

Take your pick.....

Posted

The two extremes -

NAE

13031112_0912.gif

COAMPS

coamps-2-48_tjn1.png

Take your pick.....

I know which one I'm banking, but will it happen.

Edit: I've just noticed they both have the lines of showers coming from the north sea in roughly the same place, so the could help pep up anthing in this area if accurate.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Someone posted that a few pages back on here. So could be.

Duh! Yes just noticed that post. And snow in Naaaarich but nowt in The Swich as yet.

Posted

heres a bit of fun

updated fax for tomorrow

PPVE89.gif?31415

UW24-7.GIF?09-16

UW24-594.GIF?09-16

another change rofl.gif

looks to me like an upgrade on that fax. if the cold front makes slower progress, it should allow the precipitation to get further north, putting more of the region in the snow zone.

just to add another point, ian fergusson said that the models struggle with precip forecasts outside of frontal events. that means they can't really predict convective snowfall or dare i say it, streamers. some of us could get a few surprises in the next couple of days......