Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 10th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

BBC news 24 hardly anything now showing,surprise surprise,

Best ignoring them, BBC doesn't seem to follow latest Met Office updates.

Guest archiesmummy

My cousin in law lives in dunmow and has 3/4 inch...I'm not happy! Thought as we left there we would see snow here too but no! Lol

Posted

Current temp 0.9C, dewpoint -3.9C.

Snow showers inbound coming through the Wash. Looks like im in for a very exciting evening/overnight period.

Certainly looks good for you TEITS good.gif; not sure if I am going to be just too far south, in Sawtry, to see the bulk of the showers nea.gif Edited by Hughsey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Current temp 0.9C, dewpoint -3.9C.

Snow showers inbound coming through the Wash. Looks like im in for a very exciting evening/overnight period.

Good luck mate, looking forward to seeing what this "thing" in the North sea does.

My cousin in law lives in dunmow and has 3/4 inch...I'm not happy! Thought as we left there we would see snow here too but no! Lol

I don`t think that was snow he was on about. Only 20 mins from here.

Posted

What's the chances for a streamer affecting south east London nw Kent region

High. Met Office specifically mention Medway as the local authority in their weather warning, it is also the first landfall given the flow of the wind.

We're waiting for the frontal deritus to disperse quickly - it'll be happening once both your Td and T are below 0oC. GFS 12z doesn't forecast this process to be complete until 21z->00z.

post-5986-0-44210600-1362940816_thumb.gi

At around that time a vertical directional shear environment, and to some extent some speed shear will setup,

post-5986-0-80353100-1362940958_thumb.gipost-5986-0-65639500-1362940966_thumb.gi

which should mean that any streamers will be enhanced (note the 700hPa wind is westerly, whilst the surface is easterly, and are at different speeds)

This, I think, will be a convection enhancer. Warmer North Sea SSTs have got it going but to be fair, not much at the moment, and the environment sometime between 21z -> 00z should be the time to watch the radar.

Edited by Boar Wrinklestorm

Posted

Guys we are still a few hours away from the right flow-

The PPN increase will take place over the next few hours- but midnight has always been the start for most-

S

Thanks for the update Steve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Damm,am i glad to be home!

That was one bloody cold day riding the bike around london i can tell you.......and just now on the A2 heading home,that wind is BITTER and gusting up now as well..

Posted

Evening all...been a bit of a reader for ages now with the odd post but time to join the fun and games of the forum. I will also let you all know my job is not to dissimilar to our friend Yamkin...except our focus is the major routes of Kent and Sussex. I can therefore give you a very exciting update from our forecasts:

Snow showers will start to fall from around 17hrs and continue overnight to give between 1-4cm. Into the morning there will be some more snow giving between 2-8cm of accumulations possible and in some places locally higher.

(This forecast is for Kent, East Sussex and West Sussex only)

Here's to a good couple of days...im off to bed as this massive upgrade means a very early start for me!

Good luck to everyone drinks.gif

Posted

I wish people wouldn't commit suicide which effects what other people are doing in their lives like jumping on tracks or jumping from bridges, it may sound a little insensitive of me to say but I think it's completely selfish. I do however hope this man comes to his senses and has the help to recover.

how can he recover from being dead? your sarcasm is inappropriate.Poor man.

Evening all...been a bit of a reader for ages now with the odd post but time to join the fun and games of the forum. I will also let you all know my job is not to dissimilar to our friend Yamkin...except our focus is the major routes of Kent and Sussex. I can therefore give you a very exciting update from our forecasts:

Snow showers will start to fall from around 17hrs and continue overnight to give between 1-4cm. Into the morning there will be some more snow giving between 2-8cm of accumulations possible and in some places locally higher.

Here's to a good couple of days...im off to bed as this massive upgrade means a very early start for me!

hi and welcome :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Welcome....and a bringer of good news for us medway lot! :)

Posted

Bbc using the NAE 12z run which was over ruled by the chief forecaster as being wrong...so best not pay much attention to the visuals...watch the radar!!

That's bizarre aren't they supposed to be following UKMO guidance. I wouldn't have thought there was new info to support that underwhelming BBC forecast especially after earlier comments by Ian F.

To top that shoddy forecast NR mentions temps above freezing so not much snow settling then proceeded to show maxs of 0 and -1 for the east and se!

Bring back Helen Willetts at least she looks interested and I think she likes snow but was told to try and look glum by the UKMO!

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Heavier snow here has started to lay on cars, bins etc :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

That's bizarre aren't they supposed to be following UKMO guidance. I wouldn't have thought there was new info to support that underwhelming BBC forecast especially after earlier comments by Ian F.

To top that shoddy forecast NR mentions temps above freezing so not much snow settling then proceeded to show maxs of 0 and -1 for the east and se!

I wouldnt think they've updated the graphic forecasts yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

The radar is so bad for me i can just see this being a event for everyone south of the thames

Posted

The problem with the sunday forecasts is everyone is off during the weekend. The real action is tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Bring back Helen Willetts at least she looks interested and I think she likes snow but was told to try and look glum by the UKMO!

The bbc forecasts have been baffling to be honest at times. Last night there were two forecasts within half an hour of each other. One had plenty of snow showers for this region. The other had no snow whatsoever. This snow struggling to settle at low levels can only mean they expect there to be some sunshine because the models are forecasting max temps of -1 even close to the coast.

Posted

The radar is so bad for me i can just see this being a event for everyone south of the thames

Chill Winston. Wait for the wind to swing more to the east overnight...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

Snowing in Snodland. Settling on the bins.

where are you in snodland

Posted

Wouldn't it be great if just one of the BBC team would just let rip with excitement about possible snow, even if they threw in a bit of false concern.

So this "great for the kids who must be getting excited but not so good for travellers", covers both bases. I'm bored of the same old misery having to be shown at the mere mention of snow by the BBC.

Posted

High. Met Office specifically mention Medway as the local authority in their weather warning, it is also the first landfall given the flow of the wind.

We're waiting for the frontal deritus to disperse quickly - it'll be happening once both your Td and T are below 0oC. GFS 12z doesn't forecast this process to be complete until 21z->00z.

post-5986-0-44210600-1362940816_thumb.gi

At around that time a vertical directional shear environment, and to some extent some speed shear will setup,

post-5986-0-80353100-1362940958_thumb.gipost-5986-0-65639500-1362940966_thumb.gi

which should mean that any streamers will be enhanced (note the 700hPa wind is westerly, whilst the surface is easterly, and are at different speeds)

This, I think, will be a convection enhancer. Warmer North Sea SSTs have got it going but to be fair, not much at the moment, and the environment sometime between 21z -> 00z should be the time to watch the radar.

And, of course, when dawn breaks - solar heating!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Im so out of touch right now

What radar is showing snow coming in