Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 13th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Day started with nice blue skies, now it's starting to bubble up a bit, whether that builds into showers or not who knows. I'm expecting rain if they do, unless very heavy, gloves were not needed this morning.

Posted

liked the words from john hammond on the bbc weather...he said he has just looled at next week charts and are not good.......bring in on and be done with

Think he meant good.surelyrofl.gif

Walked up to the Downs today,behind the village.Amazing scenes 5ft snow drifts in places and people skiing!

Looked more like Arctic Canada then the South coast UKlaugh.png

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I've taken the March 2013 snow sample from the garden to safety of the freezersmile.pngtease.gif I doubt that much will be left by the end of the daycray.gif even though at the time of typing there is still a fair amount around. That said I expect the drifts and larger piles of snow are going to take some timegood.gif

Still, can always hope that those charts for next week materialise into something extra. The weather in between now and then doesn't look especially appealing however.

Posted

:doh:

Stranded drivers handed parking fines

Drivers stranded in the snow overnight at a motorway service station were threatened with an £80 fine if they failed to pay excess parking charges.

Motorists took shelter at Moto's Pease Pottage rest stop on the M23 near Crawley, Sussex, when a blizzard closed the road, along with countless other routes across the South East, overnight one Monday.

But once they were stuck there they were told that they must pay £12 if they stayed for more than two hours - or face an £80 penalty. "It is tantamount to extortion - the equivalent to demanding money with menaces," said Brian Gregory, chairman of the Alliance of British Drivers. He described charging people under those conditions as “morally unacceptableâ€. There were up to 100 cars in the car park yesterday morning.

Parking is free for the first two hours, but incurs a charge or a fine thereafter. After the announcement of the charges was made there was a “stampede†to pay the lower fee, one motorist said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9925439/Stranded-drivers-handed-parking-fines.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Lets hope common sence prevails here, it's hardly like those poor drivers had a choice. If this happens it is very wrong, sound like greed to me. Anyone who paid the 12 should claim it back.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Big shower over the Broads at the moment. Sunny here though. Can see a nice big black cloud out of my window.

Guest archiesmummy

Noooooooooo!!! :o We don't want 12/18 inches. Go away snow. Your day is done

Who is we?! There was over 300 people reading this forum the other day think most would say bring it on! Lol :)

Guest archiesmummy

Some nice charts appearing for next week for cold lovers amongst us.

Ecm 144 chart with nice easterly setting in with cold uppers flooding in again (-8 by 168)

post-16390-0-09030600-1363167474_thumb.g

post-16390-0-77258500-1363167503_thumb.g

post-16390-0-95138100-1363167533_thumb.g

UKMO 144 looking simlar to ecm 144 Very Cold!

post-16390-0-17941500-1363167638_thumb.g

GFS have a more complicated low pressure set up further North at present, restricting the coldest uppers to Scotland, would be cold and probably wet with these charts for the south east.

post-16390-0-87322500-1363167752_thumb.p

post-16390-0-04683100-1363167850_thumb.p

Looking at the moment like a wet weekend for all but not warm and a return to cold next week. GFS6z rolling out now, interesting to see if it moves the low further south for start of next week..

Even the BBC were warning of it getting cold again next week and they don't normally stick their necks out past 48hours! Lol

Posted

Noticed this morning the birds singing and more activity,yesterday there was nothing just very still no birds anywhere it was so bitter yesterday, so perhaps mother nature is telling us something

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

I don't think I have a upper limit on snow depth lol, 12-18 per day would be ok in my book

Posted

I don't think I have a upper limit on snow depth lol, 12-18 per day would be ok in my book

laugh.png

I recognise that Hi Lux, I think you work just around the corner from me If I'm right - do you have a distinctive and very applicable personalised plate?

post-6667-0-13587300-1363182093_thumb.jp

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Morning all. Slightly more than a dusting overnight as scraped a good cm or so off the Car. Sun at work now though!

In terms of future prospects, I only have a rudimentary understanding of the Models but it seems that these Lows generally end up being further South than progged which presumably increases our chances down here? April 08 proves there's still time for one more decent snow event, even for us right down here on the coast.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Morning alI, I drove through Turners Hill on my way to work today and the snow drifts were taller than the cars at one point. I hastily took a pic and will post this evening!

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

Noticed this morning the birds singing and more activity,yesterday there was nothing just very still no birds anywhere it was so bitter yesterday, so perhaps mother nature is telling us something

Two green parakeets flew out of Bushey Park made a big circle and then back to the park again as we drove past this morning; the fat pigeons in our garden continue to act as normal... sitting on the shed, sitting on the fence, stopping any other bird that dares try from eating out of the bird feeder! 2 degrees for the drive from Surbiton to Uxbridge; much cloudier sky than yesterday with only a few bits of blue, but at least that biting wind has gone.

Edited by Reefseeker

Posted

April 08 proves there's still time for one more decent snow event, even for us right down here on the coast.

Another April 08 would be great and although it's hard to say at this point, the last couple of days have shown that it is still possible, even with the longer days/sunlight. I'm not counting any chickens, but keeping an eye on al the indicators out there. I'll be ramping with you all when we get closer and it looks better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Moderately heavy snow falling now...

Yes looks quite intense on radar,it's all going east isnt it,can't see any swinging in for me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Another April 08 would be great and although it's hard to say at this point, the last couple of days have shown that it is still possible, even with the longer days/sunlight. I'm not counting any chickens, but keeping an eye on al the indicators out there. I'll be ramping with you all when we get closer and it looks better.

Yeah, remember it well as my Mum got stuck at Church in Eastbourne on the Sunday morning! Whenever a forecaster says it's not looking good my reaction tends to be the opposite for some reason!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

The sun is quite strong this time of year,melts quick:(

Even at 8 am yesterday mine was melting woke up to full on sun.

Guest bjaykent

Two green parakeets flew out of Bushey Park made a big circle and then back to the park again as we drove past this morning; the fat pigeons in our garden continue to act as normal... sitting on the shed, sitting on the fence, stopping any other bird that dares try from eating out of the bird feeder! 2 degrees for the drive from Surbiton to Uxbridge; much cloudier sky than yesterday with only a few bits of blue, but at least that biting wind has gone.

Collard Doves doing the same in our garden chasing everything out, started building their nest two cold spells ago now, hope that didn't lay any eggs before the cold this week. Lots of frogs and newts around last weekend, hopefully they went to the bottom of the pond before it got cold. Those ring-necked parakeets are very nice and colourful but boy are they noisy, don't have many down this way but where my sister lives in Bexley it's all you ever hear.smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Who is we?! There was over 300 people reading this forum the other day think most would say bring it on! Lol :)

I was using the Royal 'we' Lol. Delusions if grandeur I'm afraid. ;)

Posted

Yeah, remember it well as my Mum got stuck at Church in Eastbourne on the Sunday morning!

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/album/510-snow-in-eastbourne-april-2008/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Very light snow falling in East Grinstead. Inland showers popping up on the radar in the last twenty minutes.

Edited by chionomaniac