Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

i dislike this time of year most.... summers over, everything is diminishing, temps, light, flora, hopes, the yecchy stinky aroma of wet rotting vegetation, cool dewy mornings, nothing ahead but horrible nasty cold crap.

Theres been a horrible pooey stench from the nearby fields hanging over the village for days so i can certainly relate to that. Compare that to the lovely fragrant aroma of the hedgerows coming into flower and all the fresh growth in May.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Theres been a horrible pooey stench from the nearby fields hanging over the village for days so i can certainly relate to that. Compare that to the lovely fragrant aroma of the hedgerows coming into flower and all the fresh growth in May.

More likely that is from muck spreading on the fields I suspect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Even in my city location I can smell the muck spreading going on! Certainly autumn smells tend to be associated with decomposition. And decomposition is certainly the thing now - just looking round my garden I can see it as I slowly hack away at the decaying/spent tomato plants and other summer crops now starting to finish with plants looking tired and ragged.

Autumn is nice to begin with as its still fairly summerlike and much like August you're harvesting plenty of crops. October can be pleasant to begin with too - still enough light to do things but that first taste of cold (which I do like to begin with) but by November everything is dead or dying, there's next to no light anymore and its cold all the time. I tend to categorise November as a winter month in the way it feels darkness wise.

As a season I'll always prefer spring even if it is colder than autumn as it improves as it goes along, everything is growing with fresh healthy looking plants and there's plenty of light available to get outside again - most welcomed after the many months spent under electrical lighting almost all the time.

Posted

I can appreciate autumn, but I much prefer warmish weather to go on until late September and then a gradual cooling through October. A good autumn needs plenty of warm sunshine by day to bring out strong colours in the trees. Gales can wait until November as far as I'm concerned. The nightmare would be like last autumn with a cool wet September which just extends the sense of darkness further, especially when it was then followed by the miserable March we had this year! These current low dew points can come back in mid October.

September can be a very pleasant month and often is- I think some are overstating the sense of 'decay'. It's a natural process after all and really isn't that noticeable yet anyway. A lot of the vegetation is still lush and light levels are very good generally.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I know a few people on here are sad that we are in the transition between summer and autumn, and it is at this time of the year I always get the urge to migrate south like a bird!  The problem is there is nowhere in Europe to head that doesn't get at the very least cool in the winter. 

I guess we need autumn and winter though so we can start again afresh next spring.  If we never had the fall we wouldn't be able to saviour the regrowth next year.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It is we've have that smell drifting up from the farms in Hurworth and Neasham at times for a few weeks now, you can tell the farmers are getting there fields ready for next years sowing

Posted

My gosh the nice weather loves to avoid weekends doesn't it lately Posted Image ! since August arrived it's been consistently below average at weekends (even when there was sunshine) yet warm/humid around 21-24c on Thursday's which is set to happen again this week.

Through August the weekends were more reminiscent of mid-late September and at the minute it's more like late October at 11.4c!!!!! with almost torrential rain!

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

I know a few people on here are sad that we are in the transition between summer and autumn, and it is at this time of the year I always get the urge to migrate south like a bird!  The problem is there is nowhere in Europe to head that doesn't get at the very least cool in the winter. 

I guess we need autumn and winter though so we can start again afresh next spring.  If we never had the fall we wouldn't be able to saviour the regrowth next year.

Somewhere like Faro in Portugal, or Gibraltar are mostly mild throughout and very rarely cool, Gibraltar can hit 20 degrees in January. Plus with their southerly latitude the sun is much stronger than here even in December. Other than those two places nearly everywhere else can get a bit cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

My gosh the nice weather loves to avoid weekends doesn't it lately Posted Image ! since August arrived it's been consistently below average at weekends (even when there was sunshine) yet warm/humid around 21-24c on Thursday's which is set to happen again this week.

Through August the weekends were more reminiscent of mid-late September and at the minute it's more like late October at 11.4c!!!!! with almost torrential rain!

I see what you mean looking at the weather radar!  http://www.raintoday.co.uk/  We've not had a drop here so far, but some dark looking clouds in the distance!

Posted

today is everything i hate about september, its not warm enough to be summer like, its not cold or dark enough to feel autumnal, the trees and crops are still alive and green but they have stopped growing now and my late crops probably won't ripen if its not warm or sunny enough in the next two weeks, but neither will they die until the first frost comes which is usually around mid october here so they will just say the same now for another month, ideally i want it warm and sunny till early october and then a swift change to gales, rain and frost to kill everything off i hate it when trees and flowers are still hanging on in late october

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Thoroughly grotty day here, felt really cold and was much wetter than forecast. Hoping these charts being continually posted showing more warmth come true but I'm not holding my breath....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Thoroughly grotty day here, felt really cold and was much wetter than forecast. Hoping these charts being continually posted showing more warmth come true but I'm not holding my breath....

That's the way it goes on days like this. Here it was warmer/sunnier than forecast and we got no rain whatsoever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Think the max here (yes, 3 miles from Heathrow) reached 15C. Whoop whoop! Disappointing when compared to the forecast which said Sunday would be dry. Had to chuckle as we had 3 heavy showers and little sun all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I have to disagree, it can be a lovely time of the year. That sunshine at an angle on tree leaves that are changing colour. Sometimes late summer warmth, sometimes early season frost. Events are happening such as Halloween and Bonfire night, the run up to Christmas.

oh i agree that september has some good things, like the ones you highlight... but for me the negetives outweigh the possitives. .... and this morning highlights everything i hate about september... cold, dewy, smelly.

its september i dont like, im ok into october and i like november, they arent pretending to be summer! leaf fall and gales, great!

nope...its rotting vegetation, rape is the worst, I need to control my languagee has its own aroma.

i fully agree with milhouses love for spring air.. fresh, pure, invigorating.

Edited by mushymanrob

Somewhere like Faro in Portugal, or Gibraltar are mostly mild throughout and very rarely cool, Gibraltar can hit 20 degrees in January. Plus with their southerly latitude the sun is much stronger than here even in December. Other than those two places nearly everywhere else can get a bit cool.

Southern European Mediterranean areas in midwinter are typically like a sunny September or October in the UK - I think I could easily cope with weather like at the moment knowing this is normally as bad as it gets.

• Like 1

Posted

nope...its rotting vegetation, rape is the worst,

Also possible as they do indeed these day's plough it back in since burning was banned.

Posted

Southern European Mediterranean areas in midwinter are typically like a sunny September or October in the UK - I think I could easily cope with weather like at the moment knowing this is normally as bad as it gets.

Yep true and in Gibraltar their shortest day of the year in December is like a day in March day here, so by January the sun down there would feel like a late March day here. Judging by the "solar noon sun altitude" the sun soon get's strongish by late February and March till the scorching peak in June when I imagine you would burn very quickly. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=89&month=3&year=2013&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

It seems we've gone from a potential brilliant 2011 esque September warm spell to more of this October/November muck on all the models now/

Posted

I like all seasons for varying/different reasons, I can be disappointed one is nearly over I guess, but then another one is arriving with different things to look forward to, or at least that's the plan unless the weather goes into boring mode or something.

Summer: warmth, daylight (more light to see weather), countryside looking alive and all the lush plant growth and green trees, convection/thunderstorms a possibility, wildlife like butterflies etc.. good to get outdoors and enjoy the areas around here.

Autumn: leaves beginning to change and Autumnal colours, first cold mornings/frosts, still warmish days at times, and any Autumnal lows or storms are also interesting.

Winter: frosts, cold crisp days, snow (when it happens). I do also find a active Atlantic with windy/stormy days or heavy squally showers interesting, that's 2nd best if we can't have cold crisp or snowy weather IMO (though maybe better in late Autumn). However recently sometimes I feel that too much of winter can be cool and grey to make it worth hoping for it through the summer season for me.. Last winter might not have helped.

Spring: increasing day length, warmer weather (hopefully/eventually), spring growth, progressing from things like crocuses/snow drops to daffodils to tulips, bluebells etc, tree blossom and leaves. convection starting up over land again.

Any unpleasant smell I notice in Autumn is usually manure spreading rather than just decay, been a bit around recently but thankfully not near the house.

• Like 2

Posted

I like all seasons for varying/different reasons, I can be disappointed one is nearly over I guess, but then another one is arriving with different things to look forward to, or at least that's the plan unless the weather goes into boring mode or something.

Summer: warmth, daylight (more light to see weather), countryside looking alive and all the lush plant growth and green trees, convection/thunderstorms a possibility, wildlife like butterflies etc.. good to get outdoors and enjoy the areas around here.

Autumn: leaves beginning to change and Autumnal colours, first cold mornings/frosts, still warmish days at times, and any Autumnal lows or storms are also interesting.

Winter: frosts, cold crisp days, snow (when it happens). I do also find a active Atlantic with windy/stormy days or heavy squally showers interesting, that's 2nd best if we can't have cold crisp or snowy weather IMO (though maybe better in late Autumn). However recently sometimes I feel that too much of winter can be cool and grey to make it worth hoping for it through the summer season for me.. Last winter might not have helped.

Spring: increasing day length, warmer weather (hopefully/eventually), spring growth, progressing from things like crocuses/snow drops to daffodils to tulips, bluebells etc, tree blossom and leaves. convection starting up over land again.

Any unpleasant smell I notice in Autumn is usually manure spreading rather than just decay, been a bit around recently but thankfully not near the house.

good and fair post there Posted Image

Change is good, long standing extreme is not IMHO, we have an often decent changing pattern of weather in the UK, why it is a talking point.

noted today that we lose nigh on an hour of total daylight in the next two weeks!

Posted

Personally I would like to see warmth/heat and blue skies sunshine all year round, I don't see the point in seasons or the ridiculous dark days ahead, it's really unpleasant and completely pointless.

• Like 3

Posted

Personally I would like to see warmth/heat and blue skies sunshine all year round, I don't see the point in seasons or the ridiculous dark days ahead, it's really unpleasant and completely pointless.

so your not interested in the weather then really, you only want sun and warmth, which is what joe public want every single day

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1