Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I've enjoyed it too - pleasant most of the time, can open the windows all the time in the office and for a time at home downstairs too. And can have skylight open at night. Shorts can be worn in daytimes as well. So it meets the minimum warmth standard I demand of summer. 

But certainly it isn't quite warm enough to be pleasant into the evening for sitting out in a t-shirt nor is it particularly sunny either. 

So a 'solid' effort and beats a lot of June's weather (and even some of July's) but top notch it is not.

A little more sun and knock temps up 2c or so and it'd be spot on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I am very happy with this summer. For me it is on a par with 2006 (bearing in mind August 2006 saw a spell of gruesome cool and unsettled northerlies mid month) but falls behind 2003 due to the consistent warmth during that summer. This summer has had a great mix of hot and sunny days and cooler, pleasant and dry ones. Unsettled spells have been brief and well scattered throughout the 3 months.

I've preferred it to 2006. It has overall been less humid and sapping than that summer was. Plus it came on the back of a sublime Spring as well with that snow, frost and cold in March. Plus the winter from January wasn't too shabby either. So the summer has been appreciated for the seasonal enjoyment it has brought with it in the same way as the previous two seasons have done. 2013 has been a good year weatherwise so farPosted Image

Edited by Tamara Road
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

yeah i didnt think id have much support for my grumpy post earlier.. obviously im talking from a personal pov, and botty also added two points against this weeks weather... not warm enough in the evenings for sitting out, and a couple of degrees warmer... for me its just not worked.

maybe that high the gfs is currently progging for early next week might give us one last blast of warmth...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

yeah i didnt think id have much support for my grumpy post earlier.. obviously im talking from a personal pov, and botty also added two points against this weeks weather... not warm enough in the evenings for sitting out, and a couple of degrees warmer... for me its just not worked.maybe that high the gfs is currently progging for early next week might give us one last blast of warmth...

I've found the past week to be nice, warm sunshine by day if a bit cool at night. Hoping the GFS is correct for next week...am not ready to 'welcome' in cool, fresh weather like some. For me, summer only arrived properly at the beginning of July, so I'd like more than 2 warm months out of 12!

Posted

Mushy, is that setup similar to the end of Sept 2011 high over Europe that delivered the plume?

dont know, cant remember! lol, but check the archives , a euro high would likely to deliver a plume.

oh god.... no.... i was 'up' before the sun this morning :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I've found the past week to be nice, warm sunshine by day if a bit cool at night. Hoping the GFS is correct for next week...am not ready to 'welcome' in cool, fresh weather like some. For me, summer only arrived properly at the beginning of July, so I'd like more than 2 warm months out of 12!

Too right - want at the very least 3 warm months but preferably 4 or 5 of them! Be a better split then...

Slightly premature and perhaps overly pessimistic in my opinion Rob, the ECM looks pretty good tonight.

Surprised you said that, not going to be a wild Autumnal weekend for most but the northwesterly flow is not good for you in Manchester and the northwest generally if you want summery weather.

Posted

Surprised you said that, not going to be a wild Autumnal weekend for most but the northwesterly flow is not good for you in Manchester and the northwest generally if you want summery weather.

well some earlier runs did suggest something more wild then what we are likely to be getting now, temps will be down, but should now recover into next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

yeah i didnt think id have much support for my grumpy post earlier.. obviously im talking from a personal pov, and botty also added two points against this weeks weather... not warm enough in the evenings for sitting out, and a couple of degrees warmer... for me its just not worked.maybe that high the gfs is currently progging for early next week might give us one last blast of warmth...

Sadly I have to disagree with you too. Lots of sun this week here. Very warm especially earlier in the week and it was defo warm enough in the evening here Monday and Tuesday. We enjoyed a BBQ on Monday evening so it certainly was good enough. And today is lovely and sunny too.

Posted

Sadly I have to disagree with you too. Lots of sun this week here. Very warm especially earlier in the week and it was defo warm enough in the evening here Monday and Tuesday. We enjoyed a BBQ on Monday evening so it certainly was good enough. And today is lovely and sunny too.

sadly?...lol.. its perfectly alright to have a differing pov mate!

Posted

Here's August 2013 here in picture form, there's many more to but when you've seen one you've seen them all.

post-2546-0-36509200-1377879012_thumb.jp

post-2546-0-07069700-1377879023_thumb.jp

post-2546-0-34111100-1377879031_thumb.jp

post-2546-0-00647600-1377879138_thumb.jp

As for the day's the sun has come out, it's been with these sort of skies aka 20 seconds of sunshine per hour of cloud.

post-2546-0-58642900-1377879088_thumb.jp

Edited by conor123

Here's August 2013 here in picture form, there's many more to but when you've seen one you've seen them all.

Posted ImagePIC_0133.JPG

Posted ImagePIC_0124.JPG

Posted ImagePIC_0129.JPG

Posted ImagePIC_0131.JPG

As for the day's the sun has come out, it's been with these sort of skies aka 20 seconds of sunshine per hour of cloud.

Posted ImagePIC_0130.JPG

Yes, Shawbury is at a poor 69% (117hrs) of normal August sunshine so far compared to further east Nottingham with a similar average reaching 92% (160hrs) while places in East Anglia such as Wattisham (199.7hrs) slightly above average. Further west into Wales, Bala is at less than 67% of an already low average, with only 94 hours.

Edited by Interitus

Posted

thought todays weather was superb! exactly what i think august as being... ok its not hot, but patchy cloud, strong sun, bright never dull, fresh breeze... great! much better then those clamy sticky days recently.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

thought todays weather was superb! exactly what i think august as being... ok its not hot, but patchy cloud, strong sun, bright never dull, fresh breeze... great! much better then those clamy sticky days recently.

I thought it was too cool to be honest and the change in airmass didnt bring added sunshine either. The post cricket match drinks has to be held inside instead of in the beer garden like last Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's a sure sign that autumn (in weather terms) is only just around the corner...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

The weather models are less interesting right now but we all know what is round the corner - silly season on the model thread.

I started reading this forum in Feb 2012 and was amazed by the late autumn of 2012 by the pace of activity on the model thread. Pages and pages of comments to catch up with each evening and during events such as the failed easterly in Dec 2012 I could see the frustrations on display. Then when things really got moving in Jan 2013 there were people announcing they were would have to stay up all night for the GFS 0Z run starting at around 3.30am because the pub run had had a wobble. And I found myself checking for myself at 5am after I had resettled my toddler!

I'm an all year round weather fan but I particularly like continental type weather of hot summers and cold winters. The bits in between don't interest me as much, so I'd be more than happy with a warm Sept and early Oct and then kick off winter in style like lat Nov 2010. By March though I am ready for spring so found last March too much.

Looking forward to seeing some familiar names appearing on the forums again when they "come out of hiberation"!

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1

Posted

ive a moan...

the current predicted synoptics are a month too late :angry:

Posted

At long last the the longer term outlook is looking Autumnal, which considering it is Autumn it's nothing unusual I suppose.Posted Image

I'm really hoping that we have an average Autumn in terms of temp and rainfall this year as I hate late Autumnal warmth, it's pointless and wasted!Posted Image

Posted

At long last the the longer term outlook is looking Autumnal, which considering it is Autumn it's nothing unusual I suppose.Posted Image

I'm really hoping that we have an average Autumn in terms of temp and rainfall this year as I hate late Autumnal warmth, it's pointless and wasted!Posted Image

yeah im not overly fussed about autumnal warmth (but i dont want it cold!) its just that some of the current runs showing a cut off low over biscay and a very warm, thundery spell is unusual, so id like it to happen before autumn proper sets in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Cloudy cloudy cloudy.. what a dull, boring and crap week of weather it has been. Just needs a ton of rain and it wouldn't be amiss in 2007 or 2008.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

My only wishes for (early) Autumn are that the weekends of Sat 21st Sept in Lincolnshire and Sat 28th Sept in Gloucestershire are mostly or completely DRY.

Cold nights or even days would not be a problem, those can be expected in late September anyway.

Just no washout for late September please -- those w/e's bring my last two outdoor festivals of the year.

After Monday 30th September I am largely indifferent to what the weather throws ... a nice cold spell with snow at some point over the winter would be welcome, but I'm not nearly as fussed about post September/pre May conditions as I am with summer

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted

Hoping for a Autumn with gales and heavy rain and cooler than average temps.

suppose we should have a few days here and there to dry out, but for the majority gales and rain please Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Reading on here it does seem like the last week or so has been a south east takes all. With all the moaning on here whilst it's been sunny here nearly every day.

Might have a dose of justice if it chucks it down all weekend as is only 12C by day  :p