Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The idea of the low to the north of the UK with mild SW winds reminds me of the following scenario, which I doubt would be too popular with many snow lovers:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1989/Rrea00119890115.gif

A chart or charts like that are bound to appear in winter again could this winter be the one, I'd like to think so we got way too much muck of the north sea here in the east last year so a wind direction change would be nice

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

maybe those of us rare creatures who dislike freezing temps should have a mild lovers model thread this winter, so we can be free to ramp up and champion mild weather away from the coldies...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

maybe those of us rare creatures who dislike freezing temps should have a mild lovers model thread this winter, so we can be free to ramp up and champion mild weather away from the coldies...

Would that mean people like laserguy and Eugene would get a heat haters model thread in the summer?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Would that mean people like laserguy and Eugene would get a heat haters model thread in the summer?

They could stay in the winter model discussion thread?

• Like 1

Posted

Count me in!

Posted

They could stay in the winter model discussion thread?

During the summer, I mean - so while most people are chasing hot charts, they can salivate about cool charts delivering showers or longer spells of rain. Mild winter lovers and warm summer haters are both in a minority on this forum (for obvious reasons).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Count me in!

Hehe, me too! Used to love cold/snow etc but I just want more summer :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

As my name suggests, blue skies for me. That can be days like today or walking across the snow fields with -10C temps like December 2010. They are all good.

Whilst there are still green leaves on the trees, its still summer as far I am concerned :)

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Far too early for cool and unsettled or frost and fog.

Early january til that comes i hope.

Plenty of of fog already here end of August and this week.

I would love to see a washout; afterwards everything will turn green!Posted Image

Grass been green here for months!
  • Like 2

Posted

thats upto them... theres nothing to stop 'non heat lovers' starting a thread of their own looking for miserable weather!

here here tony, grass has been green, long and very lush for a month now, ever since we got a drenching when the heatwave went.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Grass been green here for months!

We must have had at least 12 drops of rain...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Now that's what I call a dream winter!!! 

Its certainly a stunning chart thats for sure. I can picture exactly how that would feel. Strong southwesterlies blowing lots of soothing mild air.

Theres also this one

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Its certainly a stunning chart thats for sure. I can picture exactly how that would feel. Strong southwesterlies blowing lots of soothing mild air.

Theres also this one

Posted Image

I can actually imagine what a chart like that would bring quite vividly - fast moving dark scud clouds, a strong breeze and fine drizzle, like Christmas Day 2013. Talk about 'miserable'..

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I can actually imagine what a chart like that would bring quite vividly - fast moving dark scud clouds, a strong breeze and fine drizzle, like Christmas Day 2013.

Anything that brings drizzle is a big no in my book, That chart may bring drizzle to some but right over here on the east coast i fancy we would see the best of the brightness. A westerly wind direction would bring more countrywide sunshine and still mild temps.

To redress the balance, i do like some cold like during the run up to Christmas. I remember last Winter doing the Crimbo shopping on a cold and bright day in December with a temperature of about 5c. It felt very appropriate for the time of year.

Edited by Milhouse
  • Like 1

Posted

A westerly like that would definitely bring more brightness than a straight easterly, although for very sunny weather, you really need stagnant high pressure without cloud trapped under an inversion like February 2008, which had mild days and cold nights, and was actually quite nice. We even had an ice day.

I'll take a bright north-easterly wind like Dec 2010 over the lot though - very sunny, cold and snowy. An easterly spell like late Feb 2013 with temps between 0-3C for days on end and no snow at all is very boring and useless.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Christmas 2011 was really sunny as I remember - as was most of that winter. All from westerly air bringing mild conditions in - made for very easy christmas period on the bike for sure! Especially compared to the falling on ice difficulties I got the year before...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So exciting Autumn is here.....

It's grey, cool and damp this morning.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yeah 'lovely' with such low light levels, rain falling (albeit lightly for now) and the shorts have gone away. The cover up and hide away season is upon us... well for now anyway.

• Like 1

Posted

i dislike this time of year most.... summers over, everything is diminishing, temps, light, flora, hopes, the yecchy stinky aroma of wet rotting vegetation, cool dewy mornings, nothing ahead but horrible nasty cold crap.

• Like 1

Posted

i dislike this time of year most.... summers over, everything is diminishing, temps, light, flora, hopes, the yecchy stinky aroma of wet rotting vegetation, cool dewy mornings, nothing ahead but horrible nasty cold crap.

I have mixed feelings about Autumn, love the tree colours Posted Image , love the falling leaves, love the gales later in the season, kind of like it as much as spring, but for different reasons

The only problem with it ,....it means its downhill into the horror season,  aka winter, big energy bill, Flu and Noro virus season  etc etc, so I am ok until the latter half of November , then I long for the new year and the increasing light levels again,  Winter is a season that I would definitely skip , and as for snow....nahh you can have it, thank god we get little here compared to other locations, infact I dont care if I never ever see it again ,seriously.

Here's to an average winter

A mild one with a barlett would be even betterPosted Image

Edited by IanR
  • Like 5

Posted

I have to disagree, it can be a lovely time of the year. That sunshine at an angle on tree leaves that are changing colour. Sometimes late summer warmth, sometimes early season frost. Events are happening such as Halloween and Bonfire night, the run up to Christmas.
  • Like 6

Posted

Christmas 2011 was really sunny as I remember - as was most of that winter. All from westerly air bringing mild conditions in - made for very easy christmas period on the bike for sure! Especially compared to the falling on ice difficulties I got the year before...

Hmmm, Christmas 2011 was dull for many places. It was Christmas 2010 that was sunny for a lot of places. Figures show that the most sunshine recorded for Christmas 2011 was less than 2 hours.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I have to disagree, it can be a lovely time of the year. That sunshine at an angle on tree leaves that are changing colour. Sometimes late summer warmth, sometimes early season frost. Events are happening such as Halloween and Bonfire night, the run up to Christmas.

Indeed, misty mornings, milky sunshine, the crisp air, the changing light as the sun lowers in the sky, the autumn colours transforming the landscape. The slow transition of the seasons is one of the joys of living where we do. I can't imagine living in a place where it was relentlessly warm or cold all year round.

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I Love Autumn, it just brings out the best in everything, the crops, the colours and also means (for me anyway) the over wintering birds are soon to arrive and that means getting out and snapping pictures of them on the local wetlands.

• Like 3