Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Upcoming Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - w/c 12th May

Paul

Posted

Don't think it looks that quiet Robin, particularly tomorrow going by the Met Office forecasts, though nothing severe. I think GFS maybe not picking up the potential today and tomorrow, though it maybe because it is simulating alot of cloud cover suppressing convective potential.

I do rely on the GFS output too much it's true Nick, it seems to cover more variants of the convective forecast further out and I inevitably latch on to those particular charts first off. I need to look at other models (especially or own NMM) more often!!!

you nerver khow GFS might have it worrngPosted Image

Never been said before Stu!!! 

Posted

I do rely on the GFS output too much it's true 

As if by magic, the NW Extra NMM charts for this afternoon appeared.......

post-6667-0-35936900-1369220376_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-30845500-1369220381_thumb.pn post-6667-0-09745400-1369220383_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-51401200-1369220384_thumb.pn

Skew T for Aberdeen shows the best time today is around 18.00 hrs

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Looking like a fair chance of a few storms into next week as a sporadic low pressure looks to sit right on top of us and moving in no great hurry. 

Good chance of a few lively torrential downpours in places with perhaps local flash flooding judging by the charts. 

About time we had some proper Countrywide lively storms !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Looking like a fair chance of a few storms into next week as a sporadic low pressure looks to sit right on top of us and moving in no great hurry. 

Good chance of a few lively torrential downpours in places with perhaps local flash flooding judging by the charts. 

About time we had some proper Countrywide lively storms !

Yep. Has shown a lot on GFS now. Here's hoping mate!

Posted

In the meantime, the SE looks reasonable for tomorrow,

post-5986-0-62634100-1369237451_thumb.gi

Small convective potential (KI/LI), but where it does fire, it looks like widely scattered thunderstorms (TT/CAPE)

Posted

One little sferic on the NW detector in NE Scotalnd an hour ago, but otherwise quiet currently. Still a couple of hours left for a few more.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

In the meantime, the SE looks reasonable for tomorrow,

Where's that for Sparky?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

I must of missed the Mr Ben NMM charts episode, i always liked Mr.Ben when i was little, moderate rain here atm.

Edited by Sprites

Posted

Heathrow - TT's quite impressive for UK, I thought Posted Image Will be very interesting to see if the Herstmonceaux ascent matches the forecast!

Lets hope it does and follows through, Herstmonceux is about 4 miles from my house!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

I certainly see what you's are seeing! 

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Although a low risk as most of the storm activity will be out in the North Sea, there is a risk of thunderstorms down the east coast through the night time hours. Very high lapse rates, high TT index and a small amount of CAPE are all in place just offshore, with the main risk area sliding down the east coast through the night and reaching northern Norfolk by around 5am.

Certainly if not thunderstorms along the coast, there will probably be flashes visible out to sea during the night time hours.

post-2719-0-05412500-1369243179_thumb.pn

Already sferics across NE Northumberland and some very heavy downpours out to sea in the NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Fairly interesting setup here at the moment. Large building cumulus clouds starting to develop however it seems as though there is an inversion stopping further development however higher up there is some thick cloud, just that there's this boundary between both. Just had a shower from nowhere too with very, very ominous clouds building all around! Some very dark bases all around me! BBC have hail forecast for here later too. We'll see :)

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Currently under a heavy hail storm accompanied by strong winds, no thunder and lightning but quite impressive nonetheless.

Posted

Currently under a heavy hail storm accompanied by strong winds, no thunder and lightning but quite impressive nonetheless.

Was just on the outskirts of that shower around here, could see the jet black skies to my East, did threaten to get interesting here but nothing more than that really. No hail recorded here also unfortunately.

Posted

Got some decent sized hail falling here at the moment.

edit.nice rumble of thunder just now!

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

If this was winter then tomorrow and Friday would appeal much morePosted Image  and the mini snow white-outs and the cloudscapes on the coast looking out to sea etc would compensate for my new found thunder allergyPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Just heard a very distant rumble of thunder. Can anyone confirm where the strike was as map I'm using not showing its location. First rumble of the year...

Posted

Morning storm fans, lets see what the charts and stuff say we have in store today then.

Lots of activity throughout Europe according to ESTOFEX this morning, but our area of interest has some consideration from them on their forecast map:

Posted Image

Storm Forecast
Valid: Thu 23 May 2013 06:00 to Fri 24 May 2013 06:00 UTC
Issued: Wed 22 May 2013 23:00
Forecaster: GATZEN
A level 2 was issued for central Romania mainly for large hail and severe wind gusts and to a lesser extend for tornadoes.

SYNOPSIS

An amplified long-wave trough remains over Europe and re-intensifies as a new short-wave impulse leads to cold air advection across western Europe. Ahead of the trough, an unseasonably strong jet streak will travel from the south Mediterranean across Greece and Turkey into the Black Sea during the period. Downstream, a negatively tilted short-wave trough will move northward across western Russia.

Belgium into western Germany

Mid-level cold air and a surface low pressure center will affect Belgium in the morning hours. Latest GFS indicates a tongue of moisture near the low center overlapping with steep lapse rates that develop due to diurnal heating. Showers and thunderstorms are forecast that will spread eastward during the day. The set-up with moist and buoyant low-level air and weak vertical wind shear may support tornadoes. Marginally large hail is also possible with the stronger storms. Main limiting factor will be reduced low-level heating due to the cloud coverage.

All the other storm sites are 'forecastless' so far this morning, so straight into some charts:

GFS overview back up the ESTOFEX forecast with small storms in Belgium and rain mostly down the Eastern side of the UK:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lightning Wizard GFS based charts show low levels of MLCAPE from the Midlands South:

Posted Image

Posted Image

But stronger levels of SBCAPE:

Posted Image

There's an interesting feature down int he SE Corner this afternoon:

Posted Image

With a bit of rain:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and meaty lapse rates:

Posted Image

Now for the NW Extra NMM versions:

post-6667-0-10394300-1369291472_thumb.pn post-6667-0-87379400-1369291472_thumb.pn 

Now I know we are going to debate the TT index and it's validity for ever!, but here it is for thought and look at that SE corner!

post-6667-0-50361100-1369291470_thumb.pn

Low risk generally, higher in Kent and East Sussex later maybe? I shan't have a chance to chase in the early evening as I have to have a ruddy scan at the hospital, but maybe the skyscapes will be interesting on the way in.

post-6667-0-32770800-1369290875_thumb.pn

Posted

Skew T soundings for Herstmonceux this afternoon not totally encouraging at the moment:

post-6667-0-85306200-1369292784_thumb.pn post-6667-0-34622100-1369292787_thumb.pn

Posted

Heathrow a downgrade this morning, as well,

post-5986-0-65767500-1369297686_thumb.gi

with positive LI, and low KI it looks like showers will form but are unlikely to be thundery, although ruling one out seems a little premature. Incidentally, I use TTs not for an indicator of t/storms formation, but as a guide to their severity should they form.

Posted

Quite a bit of hail here in mid Sussex right now.