Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 17th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Interesting MetO languages. 'Energetic storms' rather than 'frequent thunderstorms' Curious.

Self fueling MCS potential, expect nasty thunderstorms. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The GFS 06z moves everything west by about 100 miles for next week but the general pattern is the same, although clearly not as good IMBY as the highest CAPE transfers west also. The end of the week plume is delayed until Saturday but is still on there, however by then I think most of us will have had a shot at some decent storms (although some places will inevitably miss all the action).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Hey guys, can someone give me the latest forecast for Paris? I am going tomorrow for 5 days. I am no expert at looking at the models but I do know I have a great chance of catching a decent thunderstorm or two as it is going to be very hot and humid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Seems like the place to be is in Wales.

Posted

Seems like the place to be is in Wales.

I'd say - looking like monday/tuesday & wednesday could deliver - we shall see!

Hey guys, can someone give me the latest forecast for Paris? I am going tomorrow for 5 days. I am no expert at looking at the models but I do know I have a great chance of catching a decent thunderstorm or two as it is going to be very hot and humid.

I think that your chances are indeed pretty high for catching a light show or two over The Channel. Heat usually goes with a bang with that bit more certainty on the mainland. Pretty good (lucky!) timing if that's your kinda thing :) The ingredients set for some storm action, thankfully extend over our shores as well. Going to get busy folks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I expect nothing here at all. I'll be posting in the NSC next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I expect nothing here at all. I'll be posting in the NSC next week.

See you there lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Yes, but the MetO have it on the lowest possible likelyhood for their warnings.

Probably because it's still a fair way away in forecasting terms still.With further model output over the weekend and into next week, they will likely increase the probability, if of course, it's still being modelled by next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I do reckon we will see something that we could possibly compare to the likes of July 1999 or July 2001. I've seen the charts for those months and this looks very very similar to them. Now those storms, I remember being woken up to sonic booming sounding thunder, and I'm not joking either by saying it seemed like it would never clear off. I mean the activity was constant pretty much all night long until dawn, when even then you could still hear the eerie low sporadic booming in the distance! I was only a little primary schoolboy then, but still I remember it clear as crystal!!

The models seemed to have upgraded the potential this morning keeping that low further West and making it more of a proper cut off low. The longer we can keep it West of us, the better we can maintain the longevity of this very interesting looking activity coming up. 

I honestly wish each and every storm enthusiast the best of luck and for some spectacular lightning shows to be put on display by mother nature Posted Image

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

skew-t for London, Monday evening already looks interesting,

post-5986-0-95528000-1374326348_thumb.gi

Moderate convective potential (KI=29) leading to likely thunderstorms, some isolated severe (TT=50) Almost certainly this will lead to very heavy downpours, and localised flooding (PW=3.32) Hail and frequent lightning possible (CAPE=874j/kg) There is a cap (CIN=21) but shear should overcome it (EH=24,SREH=24)

Looking good, but still plenty of time for change, corrections, ommissions and complete disappearance.

Posted Image

Edited by Sparkicle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

skew-t for London, Monday evening already looks interesting,

Posted Imageskew-t.gif

Moderate convective potential (KI=29) leading to likely thunderstorms, some isolated severe (TT=50) Almost certainly this will lead to very heavy downpours, and localised flooding (PW=3.32) Hail and frequent lightning possible (CAPE=874j/kg) There is a cap (CIN=21) but shear should overcome it (EH=24,SREH=24)

Looking good, but still plenty of time for change, corrections, ommissions and complete disappearance.

Posted Image

And London isn't even one of the places most at risk!

Posted
And London isn't even one of the places most at risk!

Here's Cardiff, for the same time as London one above

post-5986-0-76563700-1374327049_thumb.gi

!!

Posted Image

Edited by Sparkicle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Here's Cardiff, for the same time as London one above

Posted Imagecardiff.gif

!!

Posted Image

No CIN, brilliant! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

All charts will change but probably the best potential the south and west has seen for quite a few years?

Wow these charts for Tuesday evening!Posted Imageukcapeli.pngPosted Imageukcapeli.png

A big difference compared to the previous runs which had the -7 centred over E Midlands/ Inland Northern England.

For Monday decent agreement between that T storm risk centred SE Wales,

This is also the reason that Meto haven't said too much, the areas most likely to be effected not pinned down as of yet (certainly from Tuesday onwards).

Edited by Jackone

I do reckon we will see something that we could possibly compare to the likes of July 1999 or July 2001. I've seen the charts for those months and this looks very very similar to them. Now those storms, I remember being woken up to sonic booming sounding thunder, and I'm not joking either by saying it seemed like it would never clear off. I mean the activity was constant pretty much all night long until dawn, when even then you could still hear the eerie low sporadic booming in the distance! I was only a little primary schoolboy then, but still I remember it clear as crystal!!

The models seemed to have upgraded the potential this morning keeping that low further West and making it more of a proper cut off low. The longer we can keep it West of us, the better we can maintain the longevity of this very interesting looking activity coming up. 

I honestly wish each and every storm enthusiast the best of luck and for some spectacular lightning shows to be put on display by mother nature Posted Image

That's the spirit!

Best memories for me? dates hmmm optional...seeing that approaching psychedelic green coloured sky, massively imposing whales mouth, strobe lightning then oomph :) a curtain of hail, torrents, gunshot thunder, more strobe lightning.

NMM showing storms breaking out across Wales, SW England, W Midlands on Sunday evening. Then again on Monday

Posted ImagePosted Image

Then what looks like a major MCS developing across the S on Monday night into Tuesday

Posted Image

Edited by Bobby

Posted

Probably because it's still a fair way away in forecasting terms still.With further model output over the weekend and into next week, they will likely increase the probability, if of course, it's still being modelled by next week.

Yes, on their risk-likelihood matrix they have it at 1/4 for likelihood but 3/4 for impact. That seems a very reasonable way to start things off; not much else they could do really.