Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 17th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

GFS 00z shows thunderstorms developing quite widely across southern and central Britain as early as Monday afternoon then keeps them coming throughout the week with the threat moving ever northward.

Three possible plumes - Monday, Tuesday and Friday with all these starting life down south and expanding north and east through the day and into the night. This week could offer some great opportunities for overnight lightning shows, and many people will get to see it because sleeping will be so difficult it may not be worth trying what with uncomfortable humidity and heat plus lots of noise from above Posted Image

Edited by Supacell

Posted

Looking forward to this, a good week on the way for storm lovers, will be some crackers around.

This year has been the poorest start to any storm season since i started chasing in 2004. I am hoping next week can redeem 2013.

ECM goes for the first storms firing up early hours of Monday morning across the SW, then up through Wales and parts of the Midlands

6am Monday

Then some really big storms rapidly developing during Monday afternoon feeding off the high CAPE

NMM looks tasty too, widespread stormy looking weather

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

I'm getting really excited about next week, we have waited far too long for a proper plume like we used to get, I just hope this doesn't turn into another false dawn.

It would be nice to think with this summer we are seeing another shift in climate pattern, hopefully returning to the summers of old with a build up of heat followed by some epic storms! More likely to be a one off though so if this comes off make the most of it. 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Hopefully this wont happen again...

Hopefully this wont happen again...

Probably darn will, at least here, last summer storm here was sometime in the Bronze Age I think.

The high-res NASA model looks tasty for Tuesday

Posted Image  Posted Image

Edited by Bobby

Posted

Probably darn will, at least here, last summer storm here was sometime in the Bronze Age I think.

Posted Image Posted Image

Only for the places that have had storms over the last few years in my area there hasn't been a good storm for at least 3 years. I'm just worried that it will happen again and that the places to the west and north will get the good stuff whilst were left watching the radar like last year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Bang on Bristol I'm just worried i'll get too excited.

Posted

I have this feeling of excitement for next week coupled with a feeling of "too good to be true". I think the let-downs of recent years are putting that little bit of doubt into me, but there is no denying the excellent potential for next week with multiple opportunities across large portions of the UK to get some absolute crackers.

Posted

Hahaha

I made that Youtube Clip with John Hanrahan, never knew it was still on the web - Great Stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I have this feeling of excitement for next week coupled with a feeling of "too good to be true". I think the let-downs of recent years are putting that little bit of doubt into me, but there is no denying the excellent potential for next week with multiple opportunities across large portions of the UK to get some absolute crackers.

Indeed, this is it, sort of feels like a 'now or never' scenario as we haven't seen this setup in so long! I'm sure many people will be peeing their pants when we see a huge MCS give an all night show, as regular people will have forgotten what a fantastic all night show looks like by now! Tuesday night is looking very promising indeed, as well as possibly Monday and Friday, although Friday is some way out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

BBC weather this morning also talking  of this "event", rising humidity and heat giving good chances of a stormy period early next week.

Posted

Met Office have just issued a weather warning for thundery rain for almost all of England and Wales (except northernmost counties of England) on Tues/Weds.

Update likely to be updated to be more specific in terms of areas most at risk in the coming days.

Edited by Team Squirrel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Met Office have just issued a weather warning for thundery rain for almost all of England and Wales (except northernmost counties of England) on Tues/Weds.Update likely to be updated to be more specific in terms of areas most at risk in the coming days.

Indeed. Here is their summary of events copied from the warning;"An area of low pressure is expected to increasingly interact with the plume of hot, humid air resident across parts of southern Britain. Whilst preceding days will have seen only isolated thunderstorms, the developing set-up on Tuesday and Wednesday, provides the ingredients for more widespread and energetic storms. Large rainfall totals, falling in short periods and onto hard-baked ground, may lead to flooding locally, with hail a possibility."Seems a lot of us could be doing an all nighter on Tuesday night then so with that in mind, I'm now on leave on Wednesday! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Early next week looks very similar to the 28th July 2008 storms which brought a rash of severe storms from the West Country into the West Midlands. Here looks a prime region for some home grown juicyness!!!

Level 3 would be erm interesting a 2 perhaps more realistic? But still very enticing :)

It will be interesting to see what estofex will throw at us!

It will be interesting to see what estofex will throw at us!

Early next week looks very similar to the 28th July 2008 storms which brought a rash of severe storms from the West Country into the West Midlands. Here looks a prime region for some home grown juicyness!!!

Lol we have discovered a new convective term/abbreviation! HGJs - home grown juiciness :)Sorry...do go on..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Level 3 would be erm interesting a 2 perhaps more realistic? But still very enticing :)Lol we have discovered a new convective term/abbreviation! HGJs - home grown juiciness :)Sorry...do go on..

Ahahaha. Hgj's, sounds like some new stimulant. :lol:Looks like upper winds next week will be southerly or south easterly for a time - PERFECT for here. 28th July was a southerly too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Interesting estofex forecast back from 28th July 2008 yet only a level 1. post-18097-0-37629100-1374319806.txt

France, British Isles, Benelux, W Germany...During the afternoon, 1000-2000 J/kg MLCAPE will likely form over northern France, extreme W Germany and the Benelux. There, dew points near 20 C are expected. Scattered thunderstorms will probably develop, that could produce some localized large hail and flash flooding problems. Shear is weak in this area.Isolated storms are expected to develop over Great Britain and eastern parts of Ireland as well, where CAPE should be a bit lower.Towards the evening, moisture is expected to spread further westward across W France and southern England on approach of the upper-level system. As deep-layer shear increases to 15-20 m/s and forcing for upward vertical motion overspreads the area, convective storm activity is expected to increase. A likely scenario is that convective storms form over western France during the afternoon and merge into a large MCS moving into England.With 850 hPa winds near 15 m/s some strong and locally severe wind gusts are possible on the passage of this system. Overnight, as the system moves slowly, large amounts of precipitation will likely accumulate across southern and southwestern England, so that flooding problems are likely to occur there.

HGJs or lorry loads! Take your pick.Threads already buzzing - that's even before the first sferic arrives on our slightly scorched shores..

Ahahaha. Hgj's, sounds like some new stimulant. :lol:Looks like upper winds next week will be southerly or south easterly for a time - PERFECT for here. 28th July was a southerly too

Edited by triple_x1

Posted

It a bit of a case of will it or will it not happen here for us it touch and go but with all the heat surely something got to give..............right?