Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2013/2014 Forecasts/Hopes/Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

New to this forum, as you can probably quite quickly figure out. Been lurking in this thread since a few days now.

I'm glad to know there are others out there that love the snow as much as I do, I thought I was the only weird one.

I have absolutely no idea how to read these graphs you guys put up but I have been reading up on them and hope to learn from you guys too. 

My hopes: Snow, snow, snow and more snow!!! Hate the rain, really.

Welcome to the forum Doc - You have come to the right place if you are a fan of the cold and all the tribes and tribulations that go with it! When the cold weather does arrive this place gets crazy and really is quite entertaining! Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun or snow, nothing in between.

Welcome to the forum Doc - You have come to the right place if you are a fan of the cold and all the tribes and tribulations that go with it! When the cold weather does arrive this place gets crazy and really is quite entertaining! Posted Image Posted Image

Thank you.

I am a petrolhead at heart, but I'm sensible. Meaning I switch to winter tyres come winter time so I actually do have control of my car. One of the reason I love snow is driving in it. I find there are way too many idiots out there that don't take into account the change in driving conditions and seeing the results can be quite funny at times.

Anyway, sorry to hi-jack the thread. 

Can anyone give me a quick lesson on how to read these CFS charts that are posted up? Or perhaps a link that may guide me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

This forum needs a trend tally to keep track of how many runs favour blocking and how many favour mobile patterns.Id put my money on 50 - 50 lol.

You'd lose your money. Im pretty confident within the CFS runs they are currently giving more favourable blocking conditions than mobile patterns on a fairly consistent basis.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Posted Image                                                                 IS THIS SNOWY WEATHER            

Entrenched cold air over the country, a low pressure pressure system sliding along southern britain would bring some potentially heavy snow from that set up.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Noticed that Moscows max yesterday was +2C - this seems rather early in the season for such a low temperature, though we will see what happens - I am fairly convinced that if you get the deep seated cold set in, in that part of the world, it will be very difficult to shift and we could well end up with the crumbs of a cold/snow feste.

• Like 1

Posted

Noticed that Moscows max yesterday was +2C - this seems rather early in the season for such a low temperature, though we will see what happens - I am fairly convinced that if you get the deep seated cold set in, in that part of the world, it will be very difficult to shift and we could well end up with the crumbs of a cold/snow feste.

Which is always the case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

This is mostly down to the European patterns at present with blocking to the East/North East, Western Russia ends up on the eastern flank with winds coming down from the Arctic. Probably just a cold snap unless the pattern persists.

Oh wait, it looks like it might just do that Posted Image

@Conor Sherin, that chart is a right doozy  Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

This is mostly down to the European patterns at present with blocking to the East/North East, Western Russia ends up on the eastern flank with winds coming down from the Arctic. Probably just a cold snap unless the pattern persists.

Oh wait, it looks like it might just do that Posted Image

@Conor Sherin, that chart is a right doozy  Posted Image

And yet there's a load of complaining over it.Posted Image

Posted

Brrrrr

Posted Imagebrr.png

It's looking like the CFS is backing high latitude blocking to be the form horse again after it's wobble for a week or so. On a percentage basis you would have too say that with the current data at hand that blocking to our N/NW/NE is around 70/30 in favour.

• Like 2

Posted

It's looking like the CFS is backing high latitude blocking to be the form horse again after it's wobble for a week or so. On a percentage basis you would have too say that with the current data at hand that blocking to our N/NW/NE is around 70/30 in favour.

Sorry, can you just explain that a little to me please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Sorry, can you just explain that a little to me please?

The CFS (long range forecasting model), is backing generally higher pressure to our north over winter, and lower pressure to our south, which will allow cold air from the Nth and East to come over the UK, rather than warmer atlantic air. If you want a sustained spell of cold weather in the UK then that is the kind of set up needed. Think winter 09/10 Dec 2010, or March 2013 all had northern blocking. On the other hand it was absent in winter 11/12 for the most part.It varies run to run, but has shown an approximately 70/30 spplit in favour (I can't verify the odds but it seems about right from what I have been seeing).
  • Like 1

Posted

So higher pressure automatically means cold air?

Thanks for that. From what I have reading, it's unlikely that we can be sure until early Nov?

Posted

Thanks for that. From what I have reading, it's unlikely that we can be sure until early Nov?

Not necessairly but it gives us a better chance of seeing colder conditions, especially in winter months, we have high pressure to the North & Blocking the Atlantic off to the West, with colder air filtering southwards into Eastern Europe, we then see easterly winds come from the continent with us into a cold pattern with below average pressure( Blue Anomalies)

Correct on last point, still early days, but there are plenty more and increasingly overt last few days again from CFS for High Pressure to dominate to the North around the polar regions which bodes well if you want cold further down the line, Early days however! 

Edited by Mark N

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

High pressure to the north usually will. To the south is pretty much gaurrentee of warm air. and we can't be "sure" until the snow flakes are falling outside my window Posted Image.

The short range models which are usually reasonably reliable to 120 hours have been known to get it wrong up to 72 hours. Sometimes though they can give a good genral guide out to a week or so. Longer than that and I think you are mostly relying on teleconnections etc.

Edited by SomeLikeItHot

Posted

Excellent excellent!!! I'm getting excited now! 

Thank you, for answering my questions, much appreciated! Shall be keeping a very close eye on this thread. Do people post pictures up when they a good day of snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

i saw plenty of snow prior to that date when i lived in Chelmsford...early November 1985 i think? and November 1988 was another.

Sucks when I grew up during the 2000's. Thank goodness things have changed and hopefully snowfall from November to April will become a little more common. Last March was just the second time I'd seen lying snow during March. Only once seen lying snow in November and when there was lying snow in 2008 in April I wasn't even in the country! I'm hoping these things happen more often.

Posted

Excellent excellent!!! I'm getting excited now! 

Thank you, for answering my questions, much appreciated! Shall be keeping a very close eye on this thread. Do people post pictures up when they a good day of snow?

Welcome Aboard, being on here in winter is worthwhile, live reports in the regional threads with plenty of radar grabs and snowy photos to enjoy :) 

• Like 1

Posted

Thank you Mark.

I've never been interested in weather in this sort of detail before but lately it's got a hold of me.

• Like 3

Posted

Thank you Mark.

I've never been interested in weather in this sort of detail before but lately it's got a hold of me.

Your hooked for life now Dr, good luck.Posted Image

Posted

Lets hope so I think my average date is like 12th October but I am thinking this year it's gonna be November which isn't common here. 

Average first snow is 2nd week November I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Yes its been cold there for the time of year, that's weather not climate change of course. (If its hot then that's climate change)

http://themoscownews.com/local/20130930/191953021/Moscow-weather-Cold-spell-could-break-records.html

• Like 4