Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 13/11/13 >

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

I don't understand the negativity about the ECM op. I mean on the surface of things we don't end up that cold from it. But  with lower heights further south and a very large cold pool in Eastern Europe, that would set us up very nicely for the chance of some much colder weather later on! The charts don't give us a perfect result (if they did I would be worried...) but they set us up with loads and loads of potential! I mean if that cold pool were to be advected westwards, which is perfectly plausible, then this forum would erupt with excitement (and understandably some dread from some people). For me, this part of the season of model watching is more about looking for potential than instant results.

Posted Image

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

NAEFS looking very Scandi-high-esq this evening;

post-12721-0-84368400-1384636155_thumb.j

Longer range NAEFS outlook suggests heights continuing NE from Scandi-Russia and lowering heights to our NW;

post-12721-0-85362700-1384637034_thumb.jpost-12721-0-01923700-1384637041_thumb.j

Edited by AWD
  • Like 2

Posted

NAEFS looking very Scandi-high-esq this evening;image.jpg

Hope I'm not sounding like a scratched record but, if anyone has been following only the ensemble means and anomaly charts these past few days, they'd wonder what the upgrade/downgrade comments are all about. The chart above is typical of them. In fact they've been so consistent it's almost boring! Just cold, cold and more cold.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Hope I'm not sounding like a scratched record but, if anyone has been following only the ensemble means and anomaly charts these past few days, they'd wonder what the upgrade/downgrade comments are all about. The chart above is typical of them. In fact they've been so consistent it's almost boring! Just cold, cold and more cold.

Wheres the link for that chart,thanks

Posted

Reliable timeframe is very short at present - 72 hrs tops. The models are showing a developing trough feature to our NW on Tuesday - its exact track and depth remains unknown and these factors will mean the difference between whether somewhere sees rain, sleet or snow or nothing.

Medium term - high pressure looks set to reside over the country generating a very cold pool of surface air. At this time of year, the UK can generate its very own freezing pool. It is a very cold outlook for the time of year in this respect - you don't need raging northeasterlies for sub-freezing weather at this time of year, stagnant cold air equally does the job.

Next weekend could be a stunner for cold loving outdoor enthusiasts....

• Like 4

Posted

Looking at the ECM ensemble spread at T96hrs there is a cluster of solutions that back the UKMO placement of the shortwave. Generally though at such short range the operationals should be leading the way. Tonights ECM has moved towards the UKMO compared to its 00hrs which had the shortwave much further east.

Comments from NOAA in their update suggest a lot of uncertainty for the end of next week but with an east Pacific ridge and east coast troughing set up likely then the latter plays a pivotal role in terms of Europe, the degree of amplification of that will effect the high near the UK.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Can anyone see / post the GFS ensembles? They are not working for me on the data centre. Thanks in advance

Yes I have them

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Note tues 12z sees the first 'live' run of the upgraded ecm ens. Good timing!

ecm spreads at day 10 raising heights around se greenland. Just going to check naefs spreads as the 00z run was very persistant in clustering heights at this locale.

EDIT: Tbh, naefs 12z week 2 reveals that the gefs and gem ens must be all over the place with no solid direction of travel.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

On a scale from 0-5 of how likely is an imminent outbreak of wintry weather, I'd we are currently on a three day rolling average of 3.4modpph*

For my own part I can't say the signs are too promising for midweek in relation to the kind of weather we could expect from the same synoptics in a month's time, but I do like the way everything's shaping so far for the longer term. Mind you that means nothing....I don't think at this stage last winter there was much optimism about but it turned into one of my favourites.

*modpph = model output discussions pages per hour

Edited by Timmytour

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

Wetterzentrale seems to be working and is on 60 hours. Looks like we have a very slight shift west looking at the 850 temperatures, which is good news.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 4

Posted

Note tues 12z sees the first 'live' run of the upgraded ecm ens. Good timing!ecm spreads at day 10 raising heights around se greenland. Just going to check naefs spreads as the 00z run was very persistant in clustering heights at this locale.

...speaking of ECM ensembles,i can see the scale being lowered to -15 in the near

future!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

IF this run is correct then there should be some heavy snow before rain takes over.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

and boy what a snow event that was for the midlands

wrong thread sorry, not the west, was sleet