Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 25/11/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I think the cold is pretty much nailed on, how long it will last, and if it'll bring any snow is the question...... Next weekend is still (tragically) a long way off....I will be cranking up the electric blanket and sipping mulled wine from Wednesday onwards as a precaution.Also, TeamMum pointed our that we had snow on the 5th Dec last year, think it was an unexpected transient event....we had about 4cm in the early hours.Hands up who doesn't want to go to work tomorrow........

post-3098-0-66448700-1385934549_thumb.pn
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Possibility of a back edge snow event from Thursday front moving through. A slight possibility??

post-15543-0-29000500-1385935564_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

AS I had exactly the same thoughts as I was helping my daughter of ten put up the Xmas trees and it bought back memories of my Uncles and Aunts who are no longer with us.  When you are young there is no understanding of what life will throw at you and how there will be many sad times along the way. I suppose watching all these adverts on TV which takes you back to the past helps you relive those memories and sometimes you wish you could flick the button and wind the clock back.  Sorry this is no way weather related but this is one of those great things about this regional thread where at quiet times you can share your thoughts with some great people.

Agreed Chris, I suspect that there's lots of romantics here, and that people that love weather are pre-disposed that way. Christmas TV ads are wonderful/awful - it never ceases to amaze me how affecting the good ones are. The people that create them are very clever even though, once I've stopped pretending I've got something in my eye, I feel just a little bit manipulated! Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 3

Posted

Xmas is difficult here. My father in law died on boxing day 11 years ago whist hubby and I were at Kempton races. We were going to drive up up to Wales to see him after the races to stay  for a few days.

Hubby felt dreadful that we had been having a laugh and losing £2 a race whilst his dad had been rushed to hospital with a heart attack. His wife hadn't called us because she knew we couldn't get there in time so waited till the races were finished.

Our youngest was 13 at the time and has now moved out so we don't bother much now. No tree, but I do hang chocolates on our Jade tree instead.

Looking forward to grand children one day but both both kids have told  us we have a long wait yet. Xmas is great fun with young kids, and teenagers if they're not at the grunting stage, but when they've left the nest it really does seem empty.

But the lack of kids and father in law doesn't stop hubby entering the street 'build a snowman in your front garden' competition. It's very competitive here.

• Like 6

Posted

Just dipped my toes into that pond, there may be snow on the way, but it's hot in there.

Some really good posts, but you have to skim read to get through the rest which are mainly one liners trashing someone elses comment

• Like 3

Posted

Xmas is difficult here. My father in law died on boxing day 11 years ago whist hubby and I were at Kempton races. We were going to drive up up to Wales to see him after the races to stay  for a few days.Hubby felt dreadful that we had been having a laugh and losing £2 a race whilst his dad had been rushed to hospital with a heart attack. His wife hadn't called us because she knew we couldn't get there in time so waited till the races were finished.Our youngest was 13 at the time and has now moved out so we don't bother much now. No tree, but I do hang chocolates on our Jade tree instead.Looking forward to grand children one day but both both kids have told  us we have a long wait yet. Xmas is great fun with young kids, and teenagers if they're not at the grunting stage, but when they've left the nest it really does seem empty. But the lack of kids and father in law doesn't stop hubby entering the street 'build a snowman in your front garden' competition. It's very competitive here.

Hi Tadpole, blinkin' hard isn't it, loss. I was watching an FA Cup match on Sky when my mother died, I'd been in the hospital all weekend and had driven home for some light relief and to change my clothes and then just before half time I got the call, wherever you are you can't change it, not something about which I think you, or your hubbie, should ever feel dreadful or anything similar.AS Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 1

Posted

AS

I had exactly the same thoughts as I was helping my daughter of ten put up the Xmas trees and it bought back memories of my Uncles and Aunts who are no longer with us.  When you are young there is no understanding of what life will throw at you and how there will be many sad times along the way.

I suppose watching all these adverts on TV which takes you back to the past helps you relive those memories and sometimes you wish you could flick the button and wind the clock back.  Sorry this is no way weather related but this is one of those great things about this regional thread where at quiet times you can share your thoughts with some great people.

Hi Chris and AS,

Both of you have summed up Christmas as it can be, difficult yet sometimes great.  Eight years ago, I'd just found out my step daughter ( who lived with my wife and I and who was in her 20's ) was pregnant and the father wasn't interested.  Consequently she had a daughter and now they both live with us. Having a 7 year old around the house allows you to forget about the kids that have moved out, she's wonderful and keeps me on my toes.  The rest of the kids are now in their 20's and 30's and I'd worry about getting old except for the little one.

And I have more to lok forward to, my stepson's wife gave birth a few weeks ago and my daughter is due in February next year.  Kids?  I love them, best way by far to keep you young 

• Like 5

Posted

Hi Chris and AS, Both of you have summed up Christmas as it can be, difficult yet sometimes great.  Eight years ago, I'd just found out my step daughter ( who lived with my wife and I and who was in her 20's ) was pregnant and the father wasn't interested.  Consequently she had a daughter and now they both live with us. Having a 7 year old around the house allows you to forget about the kids that have moved out, she's wonderful and keeps me on my toes.  The rest of the kids are now in their 20's and 30's and I'd worry about getting old except for the little one. And I have more to lok forward to, my stepson's wife gave birth a few weeks ago and my daughter is due in February next year.  Kids?  I love them, best way by far to keep you young

Thank you NNW, great post
  • Like 1

Posted

hi all

just got back from brandon

i hope your all well

had a quick glimpse of the mad thread and i think we will have snow from a south westerly with blocking from the west or east or poss north or south

we also may have some fog rain sleet or a heatwave

i think that covers it Posted ImagePosted Image

be back shortly with the fax charts Posted Image

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Even the METO are less confident then they were yesterday according to Ian F, I guess Shanon is making another winter appearance in the models.

• Like 3

Posted

hi all

just got back from brandon

i hope your all well

had a quick glimpse of the mad thread and i think we will have snow from a south westerly with blocking from the west or east or poss north or south

we also may have some fog rain sleet or a heatwave

i think that covers it Posted ImagePosted Image

be back shortly with the fax charts Posted Image

You forgot the chance of no wind, or possibly hurricanes coming in from all directions at once, followed by the lowest pressure ever recorded, so low that we struggle to breathe Posted Image

Looking forward to your interpretations Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

fax time

tomorrow

Posted Image

a weak easterly flow

temps

Posted Image

around 8-10 degrees

looks dry but expect cloudcover and fog in some areas in the morning

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow night

Posted Image

a weak westerly flow

temps

Posted Image

chilly but no frost around 5-6 degrees

rainfall nil

potential for some dense fog patches in places

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tuesday

a very weak west to north west flow

temps

Posted Image

if you see some sun 10-12 degrees

if not 8-10 degrees

rainfall looks likely dry but a chance of the odd morning drizzle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tuesday night

Posted Image

a weak north westerly flow

temps

Posted Image

not cold around 6-8 degrees

however getting colder during the morning

rainfall

Posted Image

some drizzly bits around overnight but not heavy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wednesday

Posted Image

a breezy north west flow

temps

Posted Image

around 6-8 degrees but feeling colder than that

rainfall

Posted Image

dry am

some heavy rain moving down from the north pm

a very yukki day

more to follow

• Like 7

Posted

thursday

Posted Image

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

a biting and strong north to north west wind

temps

Posted Image

looks likely to hit around 6-8 degrees

and stay dry

however overnight temps look likely to drop very quick after heavy rain has passed through

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thursday night

Posted Image

Posted Image

now the rain hits and the colder air follows

Posted Image

Posted Image

as has been mentioned there is a chance of some backedge snow

it is slim at present and depends if precipitation is left when the colder air digs down

at 06

Posted Image

very cold and windy

but dry ( at present )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

friday

Posted Image

a strong and cold northerly wind

temps

Posted Image

could be a very cold day today

2-3 degrees and the wind will be biting

i would call dry here at present but if any of them troughs to our north east are pushed in to the west and south we may see some snow

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

friday night

Posted Image

Posted Image

a biting and strong northerly wind

it would not take much to tap into the precipation to our east

temps below 0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ukmo at 144

still cold but too far out at present

Posted Image

Posted Image

anything after this is a guess Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted

heres the ecm ensembles

temps

Posted Image

wind

Posted Image

rain

Posted Image

cold to the 8th which agrees

varies greatly after although ecm keep the cold to 11th

windy 6th-7th which tallies with the fax charts

rainfall very low except fi on the 9th which is on its own

i still see no atlantic on these at present Posted Image

gfs ensembles

Posted Image

i cannot be bothered trying to work that out at present

a bit of a guess me at present Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks John possibly some white stuff Friday/Saturday my cunning little plan of taking those days off work to snow watch has worked out well....sorry not true!!!  got to be honest.......  Christmas shopping has been put top of "my" to do list....that's my list thats written by the other half. Don't think she will be happy if I keep driving to snow reported sites rather than shopping centers.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

hi bp

no problem mate

i think this situation is going to go on re thursday onwards right up to wednesday

i have a feeling my updates will be chopping around at night quite a bit

not ruling out nothing at present Posted Image

i will do my xmas shopping before xmas

probably xmas eve Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

hi bp

no problem mate

i think this situation is going to go on re thursday onwards right up to wednesday

i have a feeling my updates will be chopping around at night quite a bit

not ruling out nothing at present Posted Image

i will do my xmas shopping before xmas

probably xmas eve Posted Image

Yes John me too if I get snowed in Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all, Abruzzi spurs thanks for the kind words, and the others who added there sad / happy stories of Christmas memories past, it was great to read them all, and you' are correct, its great that on this regional weather site, we can push the boundaries to include such wonderful stories.

Its nice to think that by the end of the week, we might be looking out the now decorated window for the first snow flake of the year to gently flutter past the lamp post. Weather today, look the same as it's done for what seems like ages, dull, and dry, no frost, rather boring, sounds like me, if you substitute bald for frost :-).

Some of the recent reminiscences got me thinking about a recent little chef breakfast I had, think it was a day, when we had a meeting about a meeting, don't know what made me do it, but for the first time in over 50 years I picked up a packet of pear drops as I paid the bill. Why would you do that, after all that time, I have no idea. Anyway the drive from the Peterborough office from the now famous Barr Hill little chef is exactly 30 minutes or 2 pear drops! The smell and taste just evoked untold memories, of long lost cowboy and Indians battles, the long survival battle of the much talked about winter of '62 /'63, but funny enough the greatest memory was me in my cap and short trouser wandering of to school for the first time, coming home at dinner time and to the great surprise of my mum, getting undress and announcing to everyone, that I enjoyed school, didn't understand what all the fuss was about, and when did I start work. Never occurred to me that I had to go back in the afternoon. For those men of, how can I put it, the older generation, who can remember the feeling of chapped legs, bloody sweets, brought that sensation back :-).

I got a few long drives this week, so I may not be about to much, hope you a great week, tomorrow, I am off to visit a site that hopefully, will become the first of 5 major projects that got to be undertaken in the next 21/2 years, it's what the client calls a small project, its only around 3 times the size that would normally be classified as large within our industry :-) then its off, to see the mighty Charlton suffer at the hands of Reading tomorrow night, let's hope it ain't to cold. Saturday for my sins, I'm with my boy are off to Yeovil for hopefully a pleasent day of Charlton watching down at Yeovil, so a bit of father / son bonding there then.

Oh dear, don't think I am in the good books with her indoors, it wasn't my fault isn't cutting the ice today, but seriously it wasn't my fault, if she hadn't made me put the Christmas decorations up so early then I wouldn't have spilt my black coffee all over her brand new table cloth, who in their right mind would buy a white table cloth? Especially when their darling husband can't lift things, that my excuse, and I'm sticking to it, it's going to be a long cold winter :-(, boy she can bear a grudge.

Good luck captain shortwave, hope it all goes well.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all

It's cloudy again, also first day of my new job... eeekkk Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Morning all

It's cloudy again, also first day of my new job... eeekkk Posted Image

Morning Matt and good luck today - newbie!! Posted Image

Grey, grey, grey and mild, bleuurrgghhhhh 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Morning all