Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 25/11/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morning all

Dull day here, bit more of a breeze earlier but seems a bit calmer now, feeling mild still @ 7.7oC and remains dry.

Don't feel right this morning, think I may be coming down with something, popped to my parents and my neice was there with a cold, so I suspect that may have some clues as to me feeling ick with a headache this morning.

Whatever your plans for today, hope you have a good one.

• Like 1

Posted

heres a ramp

Posted Image

Posted Image

the control run still pushing very cold charts in fi

whatever that means Posted Image

Apologies, I know I should look it up in the beginners area, but when I see these charts, I always just assume that yellow means warm, blue and purple means cold, so when we are in yellow and green I never know why that is good? Is it that the yellows and greens bring the blues and purples in our direction? Or can yellows and greens be good? Sorry, after all these years I never have learnt to read the charts:(

Grey here, that much I can read.

Somewhat less on topic, I had my first Baileys of the season last night, didn't quite stay off the wagon for five nights this week like Steve, but needs must as him indoors had just stocked up from the supermarket, so we had to check it was alright.....

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 2

Posted

Bright and overcast here, almost 10'C. Just had root canal on one of my front teeth so having the rest of the day off in front of the TV, and I've been ordered to watch Firefly by a couple mates at work, so that's the plan today!

A bit of snow on any forecast would cheer me up though :) Metcheck's predicting gales down the east coast of the country, I guess that's something vaguely more interesting than the damp greyness we've endured the last while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Whatever your plans for today, hope you have a good one.

Take care and get better soon Jason (I hope it's not man flu) Posted Image

Thanks, I fully intend to Posted Image

Seems to be brightening up a bit here.....have a lovely weekend everyone whatever you have planned Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Take care and get better soon Jason (I hope it's not man flu) Posted Image

I'm not one for falling for that illness, thanks all the Same Posted Image  Still have a couple of days to recover before I go back to work, and not feeling as bad now, it was the headache more than anything.

Not been out so far today but do need to write and post a letter at some point, looking dull out still and breeze seems to be picking up again too, still appears mild at 8.9oC

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Apologies, I know I should look it up in the beginners area, but when I see these charts, I always just assume that yellow means warm, blue and purple means cold, so when we are in yellow and green I never know why that is good? Is it that the yellows and greens bring the blues and purples in our direction? Or can yellows and greens be good? Sorry, after all these years I never have learnt to read the charts:(

I think a fundamental issue is that when John posts these charts, they link into a live site and then you are likely to see the next model run, if you look at the charts many hours later. I find it amusing sometimes, as they can read completely differently to the way they looked when John posted. Posted Image

Your assumptions on colouration and warm and cold air are correct, but a snag is that this is the average air temperature through a significant depth of atmosphere, in the first chart.

The second chart has the air temperature at the 850hPa atmospheric pressure level (this is roughly 1,500m above sea level) Normally air cools as you go up (obviously) but in certain circumstances it can be cooler on the ground than at a reasonable height in the atmosphere. This is called a temperature inversion and can classically happen under high pressure scenarios in winter.

Therefore chart 1 could be showing cold weather, even if the colours might, on a first look, imply otherwise. Posted Image

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 3

Posted

I think a fundamental issue is that when John posts these charts, they link into a live site and then you are likely to see the next model run, if you look at the charts many hours later. I find it amusing sometimes, as they can read completely differently to the way they looked when John posted. Posted Image

Your assumptions on colouration and warm and cold air are correct, but a snag is that this is the average air temperature through a significant depth of atmosphere, in the first chart.

The second chart has the air temperature at the 850hPa atmospheric pressure level (this is roughly 1,500m above sea level) Normally air cools as you go up (obviously) but in certain circumstances it can be cooler on the ground than at a reasonable height in the atmosphere. This is called a temperature inversion and can classically happen under high pressure scenarios in winter.

Therefore chart 1 could be showing cold weather, even if the colours might, on a first look, imply otherwise. Posted Image

Thanks Steve, that is good to know, and I hadn't spotted, through sheer laziness, that they were at different levels. Am I wrong to knock off 10 degrees from the 850 to arrive at the ground temp give or take (I've a feeling there is a summer/winter variation)? I am proud to say I already knew the term 'inversion', although I hadn't connected it to the charts like this; now, as for 'dirty highs', don't get me started.....! Thanks again.

Posted

Just looked in the MAD thread and the MEDIA one and its all bonkers!

Tabloids (you know the ones) headlining with end of the world big freeze scenarios again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny

Somewhat less on topic, I had my first Baileys of the season last night, didn't quite stay off the wagon for five nights this week like Steve, but needs must as him indoors had just stocked up from the supermarket, so we had to check it was alright.....

Apologies, but I'm very much the same. Admittedly I should know better than to go into the MAD thread for some sort of guidance,but everytime there's a blue or purple colour covering some or most of the UK, then the likes of Frosty go into hyper drive and make outlandish comments of snow, blizzards etc etc. 

My very limited understanding of the weather seems to think that you need some sort of moisture or similar in amongst the cold air to produce snow? So just because it shows that it's going to be cold, doesn't always mean it's going to snow? Or am I, as I suspect, talking complete jibberish?? 

*Sorry*!! Posted Image

Posted

Gone very dark here and looked out to see some very dark clouds moving in and then it started to rain.

Posted

Thanks Steve, that is good to know, and I hadn't spotted, through sheer laziness, that they were at different levels. Am I wrong to knock off 10 degrees from the 850 to arrive at the ground temp give or take (I've a feeling there is a summer/winter variation)? I am proud to say I already knew the term 'inversion', although I hadn't connected it to the charts like this; now, as for 'dirty highs', don't get me started.....! Thanks again.

10C is a good average, bearing in mind the caveats (Temperature inversions. Saturated air cools more slowly than non saturated through height etc.) Posted Image
  • Like 1

Posted

Looking at the GFS in FI (about 10 days away) and from reading charts based on Tamara's post in the Model Discussion Thread, I wonder if there's a chance of a nasty storm at about that time?

post-11059-0-86055900-1385728172_thumb.p

Obviously a long way off in FI, but deep lows have popped up on various perturbations in recent model runs and there seems to be a large temperature contrast, with deep cold to our north at that time.

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the GFS in FI (about 10 days away) and from reading charts based on Tamara's post in the Model Discussion Thread, I wonder if there's a chance of a nasty storm at about that time?

Not currently quite there on GFS meteogram for London Steve:

Posted Image

That could possibly impact here?

If you're on North Sea Ferry maybe?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Afternoon each. Very windy and rainy here in Ippy.....and very dark.

Have a good POETS day everyone. :D

• Like 2

Posted

Afternoon each. Very windy and rainy here in Ippy.....and very dark.

'Noon Grace.

Do you want me to share with you, some of the Southern sunshine we are currently enjoying?! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

'Noon Grace. Do you want me to share with you, some of the Southern sunshine we are currently enjoying?!

Aye...that'd be nice, Coast. I'd like clear skies tonight too just to see if I can see anything of Ison. (If that's possible) :D

Posted

Thank Bjay......much appreciated!! 

Yes, thanks Steve and BJ for those helpful posts:)

Still grey here, and not very cold.

Posted

Not currently quite there on GFS meteogram for London Steve:

Posted Image

If you're on North Sea Ferry maybe?

I do like those Wetterzentrale charts you post, as they convey a lot of information. Posted Image

Posted

'Noon Grace.

Do you want me to share with you, some of the Southern sunshine we are currently enjoying?!

It was reasonably bright here earlier, but cloudy now and winds increasing. I think we'll send you our cloud instead... but thanks for the offer. Posted Image

Posted

afterrnoon alll

its cold gray,windy,and ive got to go back out again,and i cant find a jacket that will go with my suiet 1 of them days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Another weather update from me.

MEH

That is all

• Like 2

Posted

Afternoon all. As if the grey muck of the last few days was not enough it's now raining. I'm finding it more and more difficult to remain positive these days.

Posted Image