Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 25/11/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

DAILY EXPRESS: 

HURRICANE HORROR TO HIT THE UK

John Pike of Netweather (and Croydon) provided evidence that a huge hurricane will hit the UK next week. The 950mb low will hit Scotland on Friday and create winds somewhere between the pressure we have now and the Philippines typhoon. Asked to comment, legal whizz Abruzzi Spur said "pass me the Merlot and turn up the Floyd. Where do I send the bill?"

Lol just catching up on the latest, that cracked me up nice one stun.

• Like 1

Posted

Luckily, AS has put another log on the fire and is currently resting his eyes, as the missus says when I tell her she's snoring.

• Like 2

Posted

Luckily, AS has put another log on the fire and is currently resting his eyes, as the missus says when I tell her she's snoring.

BOO!

Posted

DAILY EXPRESS: 

HURRICANE HORROR TO HIT THE UK

John Pike of Netweather (and Croydon) provided evidence that a huge hurricane will hit the UK next week. The 950mb low will hit Scotland on Friday and create winds somewhere between the pressure we have now and the Philippines typhoon. Asked to comment, legal whizz Abruzzi Spur said "pass me the Merlot and turn up the Floyd. Where do I send the bill?"

Merlot?  I say old chap, give me some credit!

Posted

BOO!

How was the music? (Sorry for taking your name in vain)

Posted

Working my way through the £120 of wine which came for (sort of) free from Tesco's after accumulating loads of clubcard vouchers, courtesy of ridiculously high utility bills. Nice set of savings....double your vouchers, 25% off for >6 bottles.

Err, and 4.2C, just in case anybody's watching Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

How was the music? (Sorry for taking your name in vain)

Good thanks Stun, a wide ranging night so far taking in the Doors, Van Morrison, Jake Bugg, Mozart (12 inch re-mix version), the Smiths and London Grammar.  I have had one of those fantasy moments about getting one of  my old bands back together for my 50th in less than 2 years time but given that (a) we were useless 32 years ago; (next) our drummer sold his drums to buy paints and live on a barge; (next) we all live roughly 400 miles apart and (finally) no-one would turn up (including for sure my wife and children), I am not sure it's a great idea;  Still if one can't dream at 1:05am, when can one?

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 4

Posted

Good thanks Stun, a wide ranging night so far taking in the Doors, Van Morrison, Jake Bugg, Mozart (12 inch re-mix version), the Smiths and London Grammar.  I have had one of those fantasy moments about getting one of  my old bands back together for my 50th in less than 2 years time but given that (a) we were useless 32 years ago; (next) our drummer sold his drums to buy paints and live on a barge; (next) we all live roughly 400 miles apart and (finally) no-one would turn up (including for sure my wife and children), I am not sure it's a great idea;  Still if one can't dream at 1:05am, when can one?

An evening in front of the fire with a glass of wine and music allows the mind to run free. I'm disappointed that you have already seen the potential drawbacks. Maybe in another few years you can reach my level of irresponsibility and then overlook the consequent unintended consequences. Because it's fun. 

Edit: Too many consequences, in more than one way. Oops, 

Edited by stun12
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning all

A breezy morning in Reigate, feels quite mild,  Hoping the sun will break through.

Weather takes a bit of a back seat when watching the awful scenes on the news from Glasgow of the helicopter that crashed on the pub.

AS

• Like 7

Posted

Is this a great thread to follow or what?  Friendly, good natured banter and chat.  Oh and some bloke called John Pike who is a bit good at both forecasts and ramps.

7.8C and bright with about 80% cloud here, but much better than the last few days.  Was windy last night, but not as bad as originally progged

Only just heard the news (avoided it last night), that helicopter crash sounds horrific

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather
  • Like 2

Posted

DAILY EXPRESS: 

I'm afraid I knew it was a weather wind-up when I read the first two words....

Morning all.

Sunny and a bit chilly out there this morning but I might risk a roof down day to see November out, as it looks like the only weather of interest on the books currently.

If comet Ison (remnants?) is visible to the naked eye, then Thursday night is stacking up to be clear for most of us in the South:

Posted Image

That's if I'm not reading a bedtime story:

Once upon a time, in a land far far away there was a wicked Snow Beast that teased the inhabitants of the South....

post-6667-0-36994600-1385802923_thumb.gi

Do you believe in fairies?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Morning all

Another damp dull start but getting a bit brighter.

Just dropped charlea off to the zoo for work bit earlier for a special meeting?

Maybe about how to answer public questions over the wolf thing?

May get some decs up today if i feel like it later.

Not going in to colchester for the switch on as be too busy for me.:(

Having fun model watching atm!

Have a great day peeps xx

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all, was broken cloud when I got up, but whilst reading this excellent forum, it's filled in, dry at moment.

Why, oh why, do I manage to dig myself into it, even when I am trying to be nice? Is it because I am a man? I really do give up, I was working from home yesterday and had a successful day, thought then turned to her indoors Christmas present, those who know dirty Dartford will realise that 5 minutes drive away is the hell hole known as bluewater. So me being the loving husband, decides to whip over to the hell hole and get the wife her surprise presents, now i have done this for her for 36 years and haven't missed a year since I known her, but to be fair she now got everything any wife could want (including me :-). So before I went out, I done all the research knew exactly what to buy, got her gifts wrapped and packed into a bag. Didn't think and went to pick her up from work straight from bluewater.

I'm sure you can see what's coming, but you got to admit that at least I was trying to be nice. She get in the car and its all kicks off, toys, dummies, prams you name it, she has seen the bag, (ok my fault should have hidden it) but her reaction was a little extreme. Well after cooking my own tea and sitting in silence for the night, she finally say why I was in trouble. It is because she wanted to come and pick her own surprise present??? I give up, I really do, anyone want to cook me a Sunday lunch? Its worse really than that, she get to choose her main present, which we are going out to buy this weekend, if she is still not talking to me, will be fun.

Sorry but that story made me chuckle - I think we've all been there! I will never understand women Posted Image  This year will be a test mu luck as I'm getting her a main gift which is not very 'girly' - it's much more practical :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Morning folks! I'm putting up my outside Xmas lights today before we are swept away by arctic hurricanegeddon.

Cool here, overcast, bit meh....

• Like 1

Posted

Good morning all. Very sad news about the helicopter crash in Glasgow.

Temporarily trying to get back the the weather though.....I was gazing out of my living room window in the early hours of this morning ( sleep problems ) and the skies were clear, affording me a nice clear view of a crescent moon. Sunrise, or as much as I can see it from my location was quite specatular as the sun rose and lit up high level cotton wool like clouds.

The display only lasted for about 15 minutes, and was soon swamped by incoming grey muck from the east, but it was nice while it lasted. Have a good weekend folks. Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morning all

Bit late to the pit last night and late back out of it again this morning (that will all have to change as it is back to work on monday).

A bit of a brighter day out than of late, even some sky that is blue (not seen much if any of that in a while) need to get the washing done and out while it is like this.

Posted

Sorry but that story made me chuckle - I think we've all been there! I will never understand women Posted Image This year will be a test mu luck as I'm getting her a main gift which is not very 'girly' - it's much more practical :D

Steve, the chuckle part is what I'm here for, I can't forecast weather, but hopefully I can add a little bit of humour on this sad day.

I will never forget my first Christmas present I brought her in doors after we got married, at that time we where poor, old second hand settee, and a black and white portable television was the sole extent of our living and dining room furniture, upstairs we had a new bed and a wardrobe whose doors would fall off when you walked in the room and that was it. I thought she loved cooking as everything was handmade, so I had this wonderful idea of buying her a kenwood chef, this was 36 years ago, when a hundred pounds was a fortune. I duly went out and bought it, I was so proud, wrapped it up and hid it under the stairs. The big day arrived and out came may surprised, she cried, I thought with joy, but soon found out they where not. You can imagine can't you that I had wasted properly a months money on something she didn't want ad she hated cooking and only hand made things because it was the cheapest way to live. Its amazing how wrong I can be sometimes, must be why she still loves me :-) Still got the wife and the kenwood chef, so it worked out ok in the long run.

Oops better mention the weather, dull and solid cloud, fairly cool, off to the valley to see another defeat no doubt.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 2

Posted

Voila....the sun has burst through the grey murk in the last half hour, still only 5.9c here though, but I'm happy to see a glimpse of sunlight and blue sky.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

SNOW DEPTH CUP

I'll just post this up in here as anyone still to enter should have their entry in by the end of today, in time for the official start of Winter tomorrow, 1st December. As no snow looks likely for quite a few days yet, anyone entering after the above date, will still be able to take part, just trying to avoid a last minute rush of entries.

Once again, below are the rules and format we will be using for the competition:

During the first part of Winter, probably up to the end of January, entrants will be asked to measure the depth of their snowfall after each snow event, measurements should be in centimetres and at a time designated by myself and Chris Mantle, with a view to being as fair as possible to entrants throughout the region. Those members who have entered in the North Thames region should log their depths with Chris and those in the South Thames region, log their depths with me.

Each entrants individual snowfall depths will be added together to give a final accumulated figure. The 2 members with the deepest accumulated depth by the end of January, in each of the 8 groups (although we may have to be flexible with the cut-off date, depending on how much snow we have), will progress into a further group format, explained below, for the remainder of the Winter and possibly extending into March, again depending on how much snow we've had.

The winners of those 2 groups will then meet in a Grand Final, to decide the overall winner of the South East Region.

See format below:

North Thames region comprising of Groups 1,2,3 & 4, split alphabetically.

South Thames region comprising of Groups 1,2,3 & 4 split alphabetically.

Top 2 from each group going forward to form 2 Groups of 8, as follows:

Group A: N.Thames. Gr.1 1st & 2nd, Gr.2 1st & 2nd. S.Thames Gr.3 1st & 2nd, Gr.4 1st & 2nd.

Group B: S.Thames. Gr.1 1st & 2nd, Gr.2 1st & 2nd. N.Thames Gr.3 1st & 2nd, Gr.4 1st & 2nd.

Grand Final : Winner Group A v. Winner Group B.

An updated list of all entrants can be found in the link, in my signature below.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Well will not be stepping out for a while yet (waiting for the washing machine to finish) but looks nice but cool out, but then need to head out later as the DVD I borrowed from the library needs to go back today, was hoping to watch it again but important things got in the way like, washing, cleaning, going to the pub with my father, dusting etc.

Posted

Steve, the chuckle part is what I'm here for, I can't forecast weather, but hopefully I can add a little bit of humour on this sad day.I will never forget my first Christmas present I brought her in doors after we got married, at that time we where poor, old second hand settee, and a black and white portable television was the sole extent of our living and dining room furniture, upstairs we had a new bed and a wardrobe whose doors would fall off when you walked in the room and that was it. I thought she loved cooking as everything was handmade, so I had this wonderful idea of buying her a kenwood chef, this was 36 years ago, when a hundred pounds was a fortune. I duly went out and bought it, I was so proud, wrapped it up and hid it under the stairs. The big day arrived and out came may surprised, she cried, I thought with joy, but soon found out they where not. You can imagine can't you that I had wasted properly a months money on something she didn't want ad she hated cooking and only hand made things because it was the cheapest way to live. Its amazing how wrong I can be sometimes, must be why she still loves me :-) Still got the wife and the kenwood chef, so it worked out ok in the long run.Oops better mention the weather, dull and solid cloud, fairly cool, off to the valley to see another defeat no doubt.

Classic - guess what I'm getting her - a Kenwood Chef! Now, she almost buys one herself every time we walk into Currys but doesn't as she says it's too expensive for a kitchen gadget so, fingers crossed, she won't mind (she says does want to start trying her hand at cake making, but it's hard work!).

My brother bought his Mrs a tumble dryer once, that didn't go down too well either (even though she said that's what she wanted).

Back onto weather - makes me laugh how the 'this week' ends and the 'next week' starts on Metcheck - they're never even close!

• Like 1

Posted

Cloud and some blue sky this morning. Taking my son to Kingston to his normal gaming shops and then he has requested a trip to London on the South Bank to have a drink next to the Royal Festival Hall. Tomorrow he wants to go metal detecting in the local woodlands. This is part of his desire to relive his happy childhood times - about to turn 14, he is struggling with 'growing up', bless, so we are doing the stuff we always used to do; hope it cheers him up.

Just watching the poor guy who escaped the Glasgow pub crash on Sky News, he's getting more upset as the interview progresses.

• Like 4