Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 18/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I think the temperature here must have dropped quite a lot as I am feeling very cold now.

Yes, so cold that I notice I posted this twice by accident.oopsPosted Image

Edited by JennyJane1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

Hope you are all well, still under the weather myself, two days off should help (I hope).

Did notice it feels a lot colder again out, more so in the stifff breeze, just having a sit down before I head out quickly (and it will be quick I hope)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Looking at the GFS 12Z, it's showing an extremely deep low to the North of Ireland by next Tuesday lunchtime. It looks like bottoming out at sub 930 mb! Posted Image

I think I can only once remember a low deeper than that, in the north Atlantic. The pressure squeeze looks like it'd give violent gales to the NW of the UK and probably gales for everyone else, at some point!

post-11059-0-16046300-1387556302_thumb.p

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Looking at the GFS 12Z, it's showing an extremely deep low to the North of Ireland by next Tuesday lunchtime. It looks like bottoming out at sub 930 mb! Posted Image

I think I can only once remember a low deeper than that, in the north Atlantic. The pressure squeeze looks like it'd give violent gales to the NW of the UK and probably gales for everyone else, at some point!

Posted ImageDeep Low.png

The strongest winds for our region seem likely from mid to late afternoon on Monday through to about midnight as the cold front clears eastwards. Gusts up to 60 to 70 mph seem likely then for our region most especially on southern facing coasts - in that sense, as suggested a little earlier, probably on par with St Judes storm for wind strength, but from a much bigger major low pressure system instead of the very active wave feature that restricted the strong winds to southern most districts of england as it tracked from the channel coast into the north sea late in October.

As you say, the prospects for NW most parts look very stormy into Christmas Eve as the low passes to the NW of the Hebrides.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

A copy of my latest offerings from the MOD thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jet is holidaying in North Africa for Christmas Day itself but with the turbulent picture I'm imagining it won't be staying there for long. Well done the GFS's various outputs for picking up this signal back on the 16th December if not before. Now eyes down to Boxing Day onwards, albeit at the realms of Fantasy Island at such a timeframe but before then we have to deal with the following. Posted Image 

• A very wet day for much of the Southern and Eastern UK on Saturday and pretty windy in parts too.
  •  
  • •Sunday starts relatively calm but descends into a dismal day more especially the North of the UK including Ireland, much of Scotland and parts of Northern England where gales are due alongside copious amounts of rain and some snow to higher levels.
  •  
  • •Monday is a lively day for much of the UK with potentially storm-force winds and rain spreading up from the SW with this region especially prone to potentially violent gusts of wind and not to be outdone will most parts of Southern England.
  •  
  • •Tuesday (Christmas Eve) witnesses another deep depression trundle across parts of the North with further potential for snow across higher parts of the UK with even the SW moors showing the slightest hint for some action, albeit showery by nature here. Hmmm, yes you guessed it, a very windy day likely again.
  •  
  • •Wednesday (Christmas Day) looks like a CALMER DAY altogether. Some snow (more especially at elevation), perhaps courtesy of streamers set ups across Scotland, doubtful elsewhere to be honest, but a lot could change yet!
  •  
  • •Thursday (Boxing Day) could bring a second successive day of relative calm according to the GFS 12z but not long before another depression starts to rear its ugly head towards the SW approaches.

Over to the other afternoon and evening suites to see what they bring us over the festive period.  Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

OK, just to inject a tiny ickle bit of seriousness into things. I've run the 5 day Met O up until the end and there are some pretty big gusts forecast there, much in line with other sources. I've picked the following to show the highest point of the current run and it's not pretty. Please run the sequence yourself for your area just to get a grip on how things may pan out if you have to travel.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/hastings-east-sussex#?tab=map&fcTime=1387810800&map=GustSpeed&zoom=8&lon=0.45&lat=51.52

I have to say I've not seen gusts projected by the Met O like this all year and this is currently running higher than St Jude's in parts:

post-6667-0-06999000-1387557962_thumb.pn

Luckily this is in the middle of the night, but please don't let it ruin anyone's celebrations.

• Like 7

Posted

Southernman has just come in, he drove to Norwich early today, he said it was very cold out but luckily he saw no ice on the roads and did not need to take ice off the windscreen before leaving.

That's one thing I hate about winter, the black ice.Or any ice underfoot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

OK, just to inject a tiny ickle bit of seriousness into things. I've run the 5 day Met O up until the end and there are some pretty big gusts forecast there, much in line with other sources. I've picked the following to show the highest point of the current run and it's not pretty. Please run the sequence yourself for your area just to get a grip on how things may pan out if you have to travel.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/hastings-east-sussex#?tab=map&fcTime=1387810800&map=GustSpeed&zoom=8&lon=0.45&lat=51.52

I have to say I've not seen gusts projected by the Met O like this all year and this is currently running higher than St Jude's in parts:

Posted ImageMet O 5 day.PNG

Luckily this is in the middle of the night, but please don't let it ruin anyone's celebrations.

Bit like Christmas Eve 1997 in York. Really strong winds that night. :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Only 9/4 odds now for white Christmas

Hi Steve,If you're offering 9/4 about the top of Ben Nevis, I'll have £4k, go on you know you want to lay the bet! (wink)http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=120&mode=2Tom. Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Ice on the windscreen is a pain, but it sure is pretty.

post-15135-0-39601900-1387564315_thumb.j

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

There's a BBC weatherman on University challenge right now . Lets see how clever he is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Ice on the windscreen is a pain, but it sure is pretty.

There is a great program on BBC I player about ice.Really fascinating :-)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Anyone for a bit of Christmas Eve bombogenisis ?

post-10773-0-92289900-1387575115_thumb.j

(Bombogenesis is defined as a drop in surface barometric pressure by 24 or more millibars in a 24-hour period)

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So with Christmas coming up, I will post my thoughts on how the big day will pan out (and get it hideously wrong Posted Image )

There will be rain overnight, which will clear before dawn leaving mostly clear skies throughout the day with just the risk of an odd rain shower. Temperatures probably around 5 or 6C, expect quite a sharp frost going into Boxing day. Overall I think the weather will be pretty nice, the UKMO and ECM show the isobars opening out so it shouldn't feel too bad.

Prospects of snow - low for this area of the Uk just due to the wind direct, being westerly any cloud or showers will probably melt away long before it reaches us, but you never know there might be a disturbance like last nights thunderstorms which might deliver something, especially over higher ground.

Better than the last 2 year at least and a lot better than I thought just a week back Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

i bet that delivered to your door by TNTPosted Image

Don't be silly .......only Santa delivers on Chrimbo Eve !
  • Like 2

Posted

Hi Steve,If you're offering 9/4 about the top of Ben Nevis, I'll have £4k, go on you know you want to lay the bet! (wink)http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=120&mode=2Tom.

Er go speak to Mr P Power :) Or even one of my brothers - I'm not a gambling man :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Posted Image Posted Image

http://t.co/jzxRBNRjOM

Very scary this one.