Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 18/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Coast... 80mph.. Thats 10mph more than st jude :0

Can see the south really getting battered this week :( if the lows track slightly further south.. Those southern flank winds will batter us with a very strong jet could be some monster gusts of wind.. With a lot of rain to come and the ground already very saturated we could loose a lot of trees and roofs too :'(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Met Office 5 day forecast, for near me, has near gale to gale force winds, gusting circa 60mph, overnight Monday / Tuesday. Not as strong as St Jude's here... :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Me too, tried to get the Friday off but being next in the chain of command the top dogs said I need to be there.

I`d swap being on a motorbike for a office this week! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

The Atlantic appears to have gone into overdrive, that pesky jet!  I do not like these kinds of winds as they are so destructive, both to property and lives.

Does not look like the holiday week will be quiet at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Morning everyone

Yeuk!...... Blustery and wet! Currently it's so dark here I can't see properly to pair up my pile of laundered black and navy socks.

Glad I postponed my trip until tomorrow to pick up my Xmas guests- didn't fancy driving up to Leeds and back in this weather. Can't say how much I appreciate finding this forum as it really helps me to plan ahead.

Lots of surface water on the road outside but stream so far is coping well.........monday night/tuesday  might be a different matter however!

This reminds me of the run-up to Xmas 1999 - my first Xmas in this house and the whole family including two newborns coming for Xmas Day. Roads impassable due to fallen trees/branches and flooding, the council sandbagging all along our road just before midnight on Xmas Eve, the gas board cutting me off because the meter was underwater and my mum dishing out my whole supply of mince pies to all and sundry as the stream crept closer and closer to the front door. Thankfully order was restored by 9am and the festivities went ahead unhindered...minus the mince pies.Fingers crossed there won;t be too many turkeys sitting in cold ovens next wednesday.

• Like 3

Posted

I`d swap being on a motorbike for a office this week! Posted Image

I hear you, bad enough driving the car to the office in the kinds of winds being forecast, let alone being on a bike.  Reminds of my pre car days where I used to cycle everywhere (was 27 before I even took the driving test and was a few more years before I got a car), windy days it was always against you, no matter which way you would be going, t'was a lot fitter in them days, now I break out in a sweat running the cold tap.

Posted

Fingers crossed there won;t be too many turkeys sitting in cold ovens next wednesday.

That was the case when I still lived in the village with my parents, the power went out middle of xmas day, and many half cooked dinners had to be binned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

I hear you, bad enough driving the car to the office in the kinds of winds being forecast, let alone being on a bike.  Reminds of my pre car days where I used to cycle everywhere (was 27 before I even took the driving test and was a few more years before I got a car), windy days it was always against you, no matter which way you would be going, t'was a lot fitter in them days, now I break out in a sweat running the cold tap.

Needless to say i`ll be keeping a eye on the charts for this week VERY carefully, have to contend with the Medway bridge on the M2 twice a day and i`d rather get married again than use that in 70-80mph gusts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

looks like I'm going to get very wet tomorrow

We got very wet last night waiting 25 minutes for a Taxi to turn up that was supposed to be there Posted Image

What's due to hit us over tue run up/over Xmas? Anything exciting?

It feels like something has hit me this morning ...

post-10773-0-70907400-1387623449_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

It feels like something has hit me this morning ...

Posted Imageimages.jpg

This will sort you out

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I see your uber-fry up and raise you a bacon mug with cheese!

How about one of these?

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I'm guessing somewhere is going to get an amber warning for wind imminently... Met Office site is currently in a state of flux.

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Coast... 80mph.. Thats 10mph more than st jude :0

Can see the south really getting battered this week Posted Image if the lows track slightly further south.. Those southern flank winds will batter us with a very strong jet could be some monster gusts of wind.. With a lot of rain to come and the ground already very saturated we could loose a lot of trees and roofs too :'(

St jude hit us with an 80 at 1 point just before she left, I hope that don't mean I'm in for something like 90 this time.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm guessing somewhere is about to get an amber warning for wind imminently... Met Office site is currently in a state of flux.

Indeed Steve and given the timing of when it's expected much thought and maybe prior warnings to relevant parties before its made public?
  • Like 1

Posted

Yuck!  I feel ill looking at those, without the hangover to boot.

Just been out to the local shop (it's a local shop for local people Posted Image )  and it was nasty weather.

Taking the dawg to the groomers at 2pm, and I don't think I'll be walking her there and back this time, would kinda defeat the object.  Plus I don't want to miss too much of the showjumping if I can help it.  The weather is a good alternative excuse to drive the 1.5 miles rather than walk it.

Also going to watch Frozen later this evening which I'm looking forward to.  A busy but nice day. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Met Office 5 day forecast, for near me, has near gale to gale force winds, gusting circa 60mph, overnight Monday / Tuesday. Not as strong as St Jude's here... Posted Image

Looking at the latest NAM charts it puts into context the strongest period of winds in any one place in the region from west to east. Whilst the whole sequence of the low tracking to the NW of Scotland is over some 24 hrs (and more), the path and progress of the strongest winds over that time means that in any one place the very strongest winds are tied in with the approach and arrival of the cold front. Therefore, whilst it will get increasingly windy ahead of the front, the suggestions that keep being made on these threads that there are 8 to 12 hours of actual severe gales isn't strictly accurate. Its more like 3 to 6 hours of these with a steady acceleration beforehand starting from early mid afternoon, and, probably, a much more rapid deceleration of the wind afterwards. Much as often happens with cold front systems.

I think that the period between 6pm and midnight is when the strongest winds will cross the area eastwards and, at least on current indications, will be clearing the kent and essex coasts in the hour or two after midnight

This doesn't take anything away from what is a very boisterous looking period with very strong gusts in the evening peak period (especially towards the coast) but as alluded to yesterday, there is always a loss of perspective, sensationalism and exaggeration from these events every time one comes along. It happens little here on this thread Posted Image, but there is far too much of it on the dedicated threadPosted Image

I think an amber warning will be given for areas south of London most especially towards the coast (*umph, she thinks*) and yellow further inland

Edit: Its general yellow. Amber probably following closer to the time

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 5

Posted

Checks inbox again... Expecting a yellow, for myself. Posted Image

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Most of the region is now under a yellow wind warning, for Monday and Tuesday, apart from NE Suffolk and East Norfolk.

Can't see any ambers around the country yet... Bizarre, as one was definitely on my Met Office summary page for a minute or so, although when clicked on, nothing was described. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Most of the region is now under a yellow wind warning, for Monday and Tuesday, apart from NE Suffolk and East Norfolk.

Can't see any ambers around the country yet... Bizarre, as one was definitely on my Met Office summary page for a minute or so, although when clicked on, nothing was described. Posted Image

Forecasters nightmare at the moment and looking at the matrix it's the impact that has raised it to a yellow. Still 48 hours so still twists and turns to come yet I expect. For here highest gust has dropped from 70 to 68 so heading in the right direction.
  • Like 1

Posted

Tornado warning for most of England, Wales and half of Ireland - http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php

Technically a watch, rather than a warning (a warning being worse) but thanks for the 'heads up' :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Quite a few roads flooded round here in Tunbridge Wells - if this rain keeps up I can see some of the back roads becoming pretty dangerous. Plus there seems to be more than the usual quota of over-stressed drivers wanting to get to their destinations far too quickly... Take care, everyone!