Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 18/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htmT36 and t48 look awfulWait for the 12z run but gusts look likely in excess of 90 on here at presentBack later

this could  easily out due the  great storm  will not  be surprised to see  winds  speeds  of 100mph Monday evening not with rush hour in full swing, im trying to tell her  indoors not to go to work all at least work to dinner so i can get her in the  day light  i  don't  fancy flying wheelie bins  and  bus shelters  chasing  me like the great storm  did!!

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Windy and torrential rain. BBQ anyone?

I think the only consolation about the upcoming storm is that less people SHOULD be out and about. So hopefully injuries will be at a minimum.

• Like 3

Posted

Driving to Poole this afternoon, coming back to Surbiton tomorrow. If we're back by lunchtime will we back in time to avoid driving in the storm? Also, my parents are driving from the west country Christmas Eve, but it seems the storm will have passed through by then?

Any help appreciated; not a good time of year for this weather (if there ever is a good time for such a deep low).

Blue skies appearing from the clouds now after a murky start. 

Posted

Hi tiny

Them fax charts look bad

Let's see where we are with the 12 run first to see what that shows.

No arguments on potential of this.

Hi sussex on phone and going to try sorting out internet soon.

Got a feeling its a wiring problem to the main phone causing problem.

Bad timimg :-(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Would like to say "Good" morning all, but not sure that there is anything good about it at all!

Have had heavy, squally showers here since early this morning, and the river Uck near where I live has already flooded the fields. It's strange to look between the houses opposite me and see seagulls swimming in the fields! So with the dreadful forecast for the next 48+ hours! it is not looking too good.

I am not holding out hope for outside decorations staying up with the strength of the winds forecast. Last night one gust knocked over the small christmas tree that I had by the front door so that is now inside.

If you are out on the roads over the next few days, take care.

• Like 2

Posted

Hi Reefseeker looking at latest info I would say you are correct but as ever keep an eye out for updates.

Thanks, will be checking very carefully, although looking at t36 chart it could be a windy drive back tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

John just tell BT that you have the whole of the South East and East Anglia awaiting your updates. Or we could just get a posse of the lads together to 'go sort em out'!

Edited by Sussex Jules
  • Like 5

John just tell BT that you have the whole of the South East and East Anglia awaiting your updates. Or we could just get a posse of the lads together to 'go sort em out'!

If the wind down there is a strong as suggested then the whole of BT may have to come down to repair the lines which may come down

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all.

Well what a dire day yesterday and not looking much better today. Not gone through the latest data yet but just reading back a bit in here it doesn't look like the potential for very bad weather overnight tomorrow has abated. I'll check a couple of things for an update.

Posted

Calm before the storm here.  Broken cloud after a wet start. but some impressive radar returns further south.  All tracking east at a rate of knots

Not looking very good for tomorrow.

Stay safe everyone,

JP, hope your internet stays up, your comments are invaluable

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather
  • Like 3

Whilst we all await the potential stormy winds and liquid precipitation, here's a link to some proper snow (should appear after the adverts).  it reminds me of that Saturday in December 2010.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/santaclauslive-outside-cam

That's Tom to the right with the mound of snow arranging the Finland forum snow depth cupPosted Image

Edited by chris mantle
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Bright and sunny morning here, mainly blue skies and wind has died down since yesterday's wind and rain fest.

No big plans for today, other than a little bit of shopping at some point and some housework, may take a walk later if this finer weather keeps up.

Posted

OK, first port of call is always GFS Lightning Wizard and I'm afraid it's not good news for the region, these charts speak for themselves:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This shows gusts of 80 to 90mph over much of the SE:

Posted Image

Phenomenal shear could lead to tornado threat:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

131 km/hr! (81.4 mph)

Posted Image

I'll see what else is about

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Morning all,

The wind will cause some damage but dont forget the rain. We've had a lot, and a lot more to come. I feel its likely we will see railway disruption with embankments and cuttings being sodden and possibly overloading their drainage. Landslips are very possible.

Edited by fluid dynamic

Posted

No better on NMM from Extra, in fact they just back up the sustained 60 mph over us and gusts to possibly 90mph:

post-6667-0-37329100-1387705023_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-62802100-1387705033_thumb.pn

Think St Judes turned up one

• Like 1

Posted

BBC weather just mentioned the storm for Monday/Tuesday but that 25th itself should be a better and calmer day.

Posted

Right, last of the reliable trio from me and Met O is the same, 79 mph for my part of the World into Tuesday first thing:

post-6667-0-74436500-1387705272_thumb.pn

I don't want to overstate this as I detest the scaremongering headlines such as the Daily Express churn out about the weather week in week out, but this has potential for damage to structures and if you can avoid being out late tomorrow night into Tuesday you should do. Tie everything loose outside down (or put it away) and just keep yourselves safe OK?

• Like 8

Posted

Hi coast

Not looking good

Let's hope the 12z runs find a way of weakening this.

Not holding my breath though :-(

Hi fluid flooding is certainly an issue that needs watching as well.

Just watched the bbc forecast and they said stormy but no detail. Think they are waiting the 12 runs for firmer details.

Back later as going to try and resolve my main internet now

Have a good day all

John

• Like 4

Posted

Thanks for those Coast and thank you too John for the updates when you can.

I am sure like many I have various errands to run and a last minute shop to arrange before the big day.  I now plan to do everything before tomorrow evening so that I am safe at home before the storm hits.  The information here is invaluable to us and our friends and family.

• Like 8

Posted

Right, last of the reliable trio from me and Met O is the same, 79 mph for my part of the World into Tuesday first thing:

Posted ImageMet O.PNG

I don't want to overstate this as I detest the scaremongering headlines such as the Daily Express churn out about the weather week in week out, but this has potential for damage to structures and if you can avoid being out late tomorrow night into Tuesday you should do. Tie everything loose outside down (or put it away) and just keep yourselves safe OK?

Now I am glad I am in the top and left part of that rather than on the SE coast.