Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 18/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Based on the recent models upgrade after upgrade :'( this will now and is looking like the strongest storm to make land in my life time so far (I'm 19)No over hype now 85mph gusts over such heavy populated areas is not good..

You obviously wasn't around for the 1987 'Hurricane'. Don't worry although I'm 52 I slept right through it and awoke to utter devastation in the morning. I'm hoping this event will not be as damaging, but the recent rainfall and saturated ground is surely going to play a part!! Stay safe!

• Like 1

Posted

You obviously wasn't around for the 1987 'Hurricane'. Don't worry although I'm 52 I slept right through it and awoke to utter devastation in the morning. I'm hoping this event will not be as damaging, but the recent rainfall and saturated ground is surely going to play a part!! Stay safe!

walked to work in the worst of it. worst part of the journey was walking in the middle of the road uphill. i could hear a strange sound above the noise of the wind and only once i got to the brow i realised what the sound was. a bus shelter been blown up the other side of the hill towards me :o suffice to say i moved pretty quick. watched tree after tree blown over and am still in awe as to the strength of nature

• Like 2

Posted

tonight

Posted Image

barring the odd shower should stay dry

temps

Posted Image

could drop to quite low single figures

winds changing from westerly to south westerly by morning

--------------------------------------

tomorrow

morning

Posted Image

winds south westerly but breezy not strong

still dry

Posted Image

still chilly as well

at 12

Posted Image

winds increased to around 30mph sustained

gusting to around 50 mph

maybe a shade higher on the coasts and far south east of the region

rainfall

Posted Image

very heavy rain and made more intense by the wind

at 7pm

Posted Image

winds getting stronger

south westerly flow

gusts still strong but still as above maybe 55mph inland  65mph coastal

rain

Posted Image

very heavy still

flood issues increasing here

temps not important but around 10-11 degrees

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at 12am

Posted Image

this is where the isobars get really squeezed

the south east of the region could see strong 70- 80 plus mph winds

north of the thames 50-60 mph but only briefly the far north of the region may escape with 40-50 mph

winds should ease around 1-2am north of the river

around 3-4am south east region

rain

Posted Image

Posted Image

flooding is looking a big issue as well as the wind

temps are not important

tuesday 12

Posted Image

shows a strongish south west wind still

but nothing like we will get on monday afternoon evening

predicting windspeeds is tricky because you can be shielded from the wind or you may live where the wind funnells and gets stronger than predicted

check the updates after 10pm on bbc for new updates from them

this could still be adjusted on the early morning runs

either way take care as this does not look nice

and keep watching the flood warnings as well

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It's going to be very windy for sure, but I just don't see this as being in the same league as (what I'd describe as) the three major windstorms I've experienced in my life (2nd January 1976, 16th October 1987 and 25th January 1990)

In all those cases the track of the depressions' centres was a lot closer and the isobar gradient was more severe, even if in all the cases, the depressions weren't so deep as this one promises to be. I for one am hoping the storm isn't really severe. Posted Image

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

ukmo on the 27th

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm actually wondering whether this storm will cause more issues (especially for Ireland) due to the storm track? Thankfully when it gets closer to us, it appears to be filling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I'm actually wondering whether this storm will cause more issues (especially for Ireland) due to the storm track? Thankfully when it gets closer to us, it appears to be filling.

Sorry, Steve but what does 'Filling' mean?

Posted

hi steve

i do not see this as damaging as the 87 storm

however these models are only predictions and anything can happen

heres the oct 87 chart

Posted Image

would anyone predict what happened with that chart

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

hi steve

i do not see this as damaging as the 87 storm

however these models are only predictions and anything can happen

heres the oct 87 chart

Posted Image

would anyone predict what happened with that chart

When I look at that chart I think...average Autumn storm. Although it was responsible for some of the worst winds in Southern Britain for what, 300 years?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

It's going to be very windy for sure, but I just don't see this as being in the same league as (what I'd describe as) the three major windstorms I've experienced in my life (2nd January 1976, 16th October 1987 and 25th January 1990)

In all those cases the track of the depressions' centres was a lot closer and the isobar gradient was more severe, even if in all the cases, the depressions weren't so deep as this one promises to be. I for one am hoping the storm isn't really severe. Posted Image

I'm driving to Guildford tomorrow to pick my friend up around midday who has been working there for the last couple of weeks. The prospect of the A21 and M25 in rapidly worsening weather doesn't appeal to me and the A21 is lined with treesPosted Image  It should be fine in the morning driving out - its mostly coming back that worries me. I'm hoping that we can get back to the Hastings area by 3pm, which seems to be the time that the wind really starts picking up. On that basis it will be just the heavy rain to deal with *she crosses her fingers*

• Like 4

Posted

going to turn off until later

to point out i am not comparing tomorrow with 1987

the set up is totally different

internet decides to start cutting out again

thought i had solved it

hopefully be back on later Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

With all this pretty hard stormy weather incoming, We could get a few surprises over the holiday period, Yes SNOW. Just because the data does not show it, don't mean it can't, Fast and volatile  Weather coming through over the next 7 days, Temps could be colder than displayed as well. Keep yours eyes peeled folks, But most of all stay safe, We can replace pretty much anything in life,Except you. 

• Like 1

This illiterates my idea of 2 "waves" of winds for the south east tomorrow night...

These are predicted gust charts..

Midday... 

Posted Image

49-54 Knots = 56mph-62mph

By 3pm winds really starting to get going...

Posted Image

54-59 knots = 62-67mph

6pm winds easing a tad still right up into the 50mph s 

Posted Image

Before the winds really get up at midnight and into the early hours.. This is where we will see our highest gusts..

Posted Image

59-65 knots = 67mph - 74mph

DON'T TAKE THIS CHART AS GOSSPAL THOUGH

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

I've been on the Dover-Calais ferry in an F11, many years ago - I presume today they would not set sail for health and safety.Even then the captain delayed while pondering whether to go or not.It was the most frightening ferry trip of my life, it was not only dipping and surfacing wildly, it was pitching and rolling to the side.I think it was before the Herald of Free Enterprise otherwise i might have been more worried.

People were literally being sick everywhere, i'm not usually travel sick but even my stomache went over a couple of times.

Everything which wasn't tied down was literally flying across the room, the bar or cafeteria was right by us and we saw shelves of things such as plates fly out and smash.

Even staff who must have been used to bad weather were staggering and falling.And in the middle of all this, the captain (I'll never forget him, I think by his accent he was Dutch or Austrian, some kind of gentle German accent anyway) stood upright not holding onto anything, with his arms crossed, surveying the room, as if he was in a parallel universe where the ship was not swaying at all.

My F9 experience was on the smallish ferry Penzance to Scillies for  a sub - aqua diving trip. There was rather a lot of vomit sloshing about - especially I remember going into the gents and it was running to and fro across the floor, but I am lucky in that I dont get sea sick. Felt queasy then though. There was a scouts troop on board, some enjoyed it, many didn't. It was funny seeing them hanging over windward side of the boat instead of leeward - not a good choice.

Best part was trying to hang onto the bar with our pints. Some free beer given out by the stewards who were quite enjoying it too.

The boat was made for that kind of weather - many of the doors were 'bulkhead' type if you know what I mean. A workmanlike kind of vessel.

• Like 1

Posted

Met Office app now showing 60mph gust after recent data for 00:00 Monday in to Tursday for even my location.

Brighton 77mph further South.

Posted

Sorry, Steve but what does 'Filling' mean?

Hi K,

Basically Filling means that the pressure at the centre of the system is starting to rise.

Think of it as two containers of water with a pipe connecting them.  If you put more water in one of the containers, it will, for a little while have more water in it than the other, while water flows along the pipe to equalise the 2.  The one with the higher level is a high pressure, the one with the lower level is th elow pressure and the flow through the pipe are the winds between the two.  The greater the imbalance, the greater the water flow through the pipe (equivalent to higher winds).  Also as the difference between the two drop, so does the flow (the winds) and therefore as a low fills the winds tend to decrease

Hope that helps

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Good image of storm being made.

Cheers liam.

https://twitter.com/liamdutton/status/414811271897554944/photo/1

Posted

My F9 experience was on the smallish ferry Penzance to Scillies for  a sub - aqua diving trip. There was rather a lot of vomit sloshing about - especially I remember going into the gents and it was running to and fro across the floor, but I am lucky in that I dont get sea sick. Felt queasy then though. There was a scouts troop on board, some enjoyed it, many didn't. It was funny seeing them hanging over windward side of the boat instead of leeward - not a good choice. Best part was trying to hang onto the bar with our pints. Some free beer given out by the stewards who were quite enjoying it too. The boat was made for that kind of weather - many of the doors were 'bulkhead' type if you know what I mean. A workmanlike kind of vessel.

Was that The Scillonian, FD? I remember sailing on that to The Scillies early one morning. All these cocky fellas got on and when we left Penzance, they all, (including my ex) went to order pints at the bar. It was a tad choppy and they all began to look green and didn't finish their drinks. I finished mine and my ex's......and had some more. :D Ok....enough reminiscing. It's a bit breezy and chilly in Ippy and we've had a slight shower of rain but nothing to speak of. We wait.............................:O
  • Like 2

Posted

My F9 experience was on the smallish ferry Penzance to Scillies for  a sub - aqua diving trip. There was rather a lot of vomit sloshing about - especially I remember going into the gents and it was running to and fro across the floor, but I am lucky in that I dont get sea sick. Felt queasy then though. There was a scouts troop on board, some enjoyed it, many didn't. It was funny seeing them hanging over windward side of the boat instead of leeward - not a good choice.

Best part was trying to hang onto the bar with our pints. Some free beer given out by the stewards who were quite enjoying it too.

The boat was made for that kind of weather - many of the doors were 'bulkhead' type if you know what I mean. A workmanlike kind of vessel.

My F10 experience was our honeymoon trip to Denmark in December,all other vessels decided not to risk it except ours!!!! It was a strange experience seeing the curtains hanging at 45 degrees to the windows,we staggered to the night club which if you was not already feeling sick would turn your tummy it was lit in magenta/pink ,it was impossible to dance as you were being thrown around so we pirched on a couple of barstools that were screwed down.It was only then that we realised that the only people in there was staff !!!! They had shut alot of the bars due to lack of customers,it was a very different way to start a honeymoon and a week later when we came home we copped another gale force storm.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Hi K, Basically Filling means that the pressure at the centre of the system is starting to rise. Think of it as two containers of water with a pipe connecting them.  If you put more water in one of the containers, it will, for a little while have more water in it than the other, while water flows along the pipe to equalise the 2.  The one with the higher level is a high pressure, the one with the lower level is th elow pressure and the flow through the pipe are the winds between the two.  The greater the imbalance, the greater the water flow through the pipe (equivalent to higher winds).  Also as the difference between the two drop, so does the flow (the winds) and therefore as a low fills the winds tend to decrease Hope that helps

Wonderful, NNW. Thank you. Very clearly described. I'll keep that in my notes if that's ok. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Was that The Scillonian, FD? I remember sailing on that to The Scillies early one morning. All these cocky fellas got on and when we left Penzance, they all, (including my ex) went to order pints at the bar. It was a tad choppy and they all began to look green and didn't finish their drinks. I finished mine and my ex's......and had some more. Posted Image

Ok....enough reminiscing. It's a bit breezy and chilly in Ippy and we've had a slight shower of rain but nothing to speak of. We wait.............................Posted Image

Yes K, the scillonian. I googled it after I wrote that post. Seems to be still floating !

• Like 1

Posted

Yes K, the scillonian. I googled it after I wrote that post. Seems to be still floating !

I think but can't be sure that my exboyfriend was describing a flight from Penzance to Scilly in a storm years ago, it was a small eight seater or there abouts and he was terrified.

• Like 2

Posted

Lots in the main thread are comparing this storm to St Jude... This storm, for here anyway, looks stronger and longer lasting than St Jude, as St Jude only really brought a 30 minute period here of strong winds, which were not even as strong as others areas, yet still brought down a lot of trees, so tomorrow's storm could potentially be much more dangerous with a longer period of wind and rain.

• Like 1